The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Whippet X Or Greyhound X ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shame the thread got closed Geoff as this is a damn good reply in my eyes. :thumbsup: Although I do get my back up that people feel they have to justify they're breeding decisions on here.

What is ironic is that one of the biggest complainants about greyxwhips also went on about how they felt greyXwhips were all ending up in dog homes or being PTS. :blink:

If organisations did start putting constrictions in place there would be a mass or dogs looking for new homes because their owners wouldn't be able to enjoy the pleasure they got out of racing.

Like Chris said, let and let live. :thumbsup:

Gary, don't suppose you could post some photos of the bitch? Must admit I took a fancy to her when Martin posted a while back. :thumbsup:

Martin Tucker said:
Thanks for that Gary and the best of luck with her !  :thumbsup:
No Denise the bitch I gave to Malcom was a Larkhill Jo-Pharmacist bitch, who broke her leg and never came right. She was about 60lbs, but had smashing bloodlines. I don`t think her litter to Master Blaster had any luck.

I think she has been mated again recently, but I can`t remember too what ?

There are a few of her pups racing , they all look like they are going to be very handy

will add there racing names

when i remember them :blink:

Is this the one that The Bar Steward's out of? He gave a good account of himself on Sunday.

milly said:
After reading this topic on the lurcher section which is now closed, I read the post that you put on Linda
To import a non-ped bred racing whippet to race in the lurchers, I think is unsportsmanlike
I immediately took offence to this remark :rant: even though it may have not been aimed at me and Hazel. The last litter we bred Jack the Lad x Maggie produced 10 pups and 4 of these went to lurcher racing homes.

Am I supposed to turn good homes down just because their new owners want to race them in the lurcher racing?

It's hard enough to find good homes for your pups without dictating to prospective new owners what they can and cannot do with their dogs.

When this mating took place I posted it on both the non-ped and on the lurcher section, and I was contacted by a friend over in Ireland who informed me that he knew of 3 reliable people who would like to purchase pups off us :thumbsup: which they did, and I do not regret :thumbsup:

In the past these so called unsportsmanlike people acquried these rejects because they were too big and heavy to race in the yard a pound handicap or they weren't fast enough :( that's how I ended up with afew grew's :oops: lurchers :lol:

I often wonder what their destiny would have been if I'd not taken them off their hands :unsure:

The only unsportsmanlike people we have come across when we were lurcher racing, were the minority of poor losers. We had our ups and downs with afew racers, but at the end of the day we respected each others dogs achievements :thumbsup: abit like non-ped racers do :thumbsup:

Geoff & Hazel (ex lurcher racers for the time being)

if you read the whole post in context it is neither aimed at you or anyone in particular, you know me well enough to know if I had anything to say to you or anyone in particular I would do it face to face and not behind a computer screen. other than asking Martin a question which he has answered it was as I said my opinion

I do feel it is (I'll try and word it betterfor you this time) unsporting of some to import dogs bred and trained for our racing into the lurcher racing, I have nothing against putting the non-ped bloodline into the lurchers i.e. one of their bitches being mated to a non-ped racer that way building on what they have

As I have said I am not aiming at or accusing anyone just giving my opinion as I see it, there is a right way and a wrong way for everything

Yesterday, 10:23 AM Post #38

N.N.W.R.F. CHAIRPERSON

Group: K9 Moderator

Member No.: 1,787

how come youve not raced him in the NON-PED WHIPPET RACING Martin that is what he was bred for initially

When we invite lurchers to race at our non-ped events over here in England we don't allow our registered non-ped racers to enter into the lurcher section as we believe it would be unfair and unsporting as the non-ped racing dog is bred and trained for a specific role mainly the sprint race whereas the lurcher IMO is bred and trained for the field and the coursing and has the staying power moreover than the speed of the non-ped racer.

Over the past few years as our Lurcher friends such as John, Billy, Macha and Rose to name a few have come over from Ireland and taken part and enjoyed something different so much so John is keen to try and develop this back in Ireland alongside the normal Lurcher sporting events whilst at the same time not trying to exile the LURCHER as we all know it

THERE IS ROOM FOR ALL TYPES OF RACING and it is good to put new blood into the breed but a to import non-ped bred racing whippet to race in the Lurchers I think is unsportsmanlike.

by the way your not the man who challenged a Blackpool donkey to race against Red Rum are you

This is the post I took offence to, if you had said

it is unsporting of some to import dogs bred and trained for our racing into the lurcher racing
I would probably not have replied if you had put it like this in the first place.

The word trained makes all the difference because it shows your not on about the import of pups.

Apology accepted :- " I'm also like you, I have to speak my mind wether it be face to face or behind a computer but preferably the former :thumbsup:

with not being involved in the non-ped scene id like a question answered. i full intend to register my China as a non-ped and compete against non-peds but would there be a black-mark against my name for racing her in lurchers too...on the uk mainland and in ireland ?

in our country theres not enough racing going on so thats why id like to race her here as well. but with having knives in my back for winning with her already i dont think theres anymore room left for english knives too.

stormydog said:
with not being involved in the non-ped scene id like a question answered.  i full intend to register my China as a non-ped and compete against non-peds but would there be a black-mark against my name for racing her in lurchers too...on the uk mainland and in ireland ? in our country theres not enough racing going on so thats why id like to race her here as well. but with having knives in my back for winning with her already i dont think theres anymore room left for english knives too.

No there wouldn't knives in the back or be a black mark against your name or anyone else who wanted to come and join the NNWRF or BWRA and register and race there non-ped whippets, you would be made welcome amongst the non-ped fraternity as you allways have been when racing your lurchers with us at wessie and gin pit, We have our disagreements over time but were not a bad bunch really. We have some great racing over here sure you'll enjoy it

it would be great if you could get racing as we have it over here in England up and running in Ireland I know this is one of your ambitions, then we could pay a return visit. only problem would be Jac and Vicky would probably drink the pubs dry :oops: (w00t)

thought you were gonna change your signature then to *John the chicken with the monkey in hiding * :- "

weathergirls said:
stormydog said:
with not being involved in the non-ped scene id like a question answered.  i full intend to register my China as a non-ped and compete against non-peds but would there be a black-mark against my name for racing her in lurchers too...on the uk mainland and in ireland ? in our country theres not enough racing going on so thats why id like to race her here as well. but with having knives in my back for winning with her already i dont think theres anymore room left for english knives too.

No there wouldn't knives in the back or be a black mark against your name or anyone else who wanted to come and join the NNWRF or BWRA and register and race there non-ped whippets, you would be made welcome amongst the non-ped fraternity as you allways have been when racing your lurchers with us at wessie and gin pit, We have our disagreements over time but were not a bad bunch really. We have some great racing over here sure you'll enjoy it

it would be great if you could get racing as we have it over here in England up and running in Ireland I know this is one of your ambitions, then we could pay a return visit. only problem would be Jac and Vicky would probably drink the pubs dry :oops: (w00t)

thought you were gonna change your signature then to *John the chicken with the monkey in hiding * :- "

hahah clever one linda ! dont get me wrong China would be primarily raced in non-peds but with me back and forth every couple of weeks id race her at a gamefair too...i wouldnt be the first one to race a regd non-ped at one anyway.

ill have that form across next week linda as i was waiting on having her innoculations down in balck and white.

john..who was scared once in the night when he woke with his girlfriends hand across his face and screamed like a girl.....oh and a monkey dog whos delivering papers for extra spends for wales this weekend...shell probably dump them though :( !

Last edited by a moderator:
:) Some good questions there John, because like you i will be running Leia at lurcher shows and at the track in the winter, so i know if anybody starts on me i won't be alone. :thumbsup: Di.

gabbitas31 said:
:) Some good questions there John, because like you i will be running Leia at lurcher shows and at the track in the winter, so i know if anybody starts on me i won't be alone. :thumbsup: Di.
why would it boyher you diane as you run pedigree whippets at all the lurcher shows anyway,mark

markbrick said:
gabbitas31 said:
why would it boyher you diane as you run pedigree whippets at all the lurcher shows anyway,mark

As the rules of the forum state that you can only have a go at peoples ideas not the people themselves I just want to say ......Mark you have the most ignorant arrogant and ridiculous ideas.

marielou said:
markbrick said:
gabbitas31 said:

As the rules of the forum state that you can only have a go at peoples ideas not the people themselves I just want to say ......Mark you have the most ignorant arrogant and ridiculous ideas.

NOT COMPLETELY TRUE MARIELOU, UNCLE MARK AS COME UP WITH SOME GREAT IDEAS, LIKE THE ONE FOR LURCHER WORLD :thumbsup: HE PROMISED TO SPONSER ONE OF THE WORKING EVENTS :thumbsup: I THINK IT WAS FOR £100 OR £200 :thumbsup: BUT HE FORGOT TO PAY UP :( HE'S GETTING VERY FORGETFULL IN HIS OLD AGE :unsure: TT

TOMTHUMB said:
marielou said:
markbrick said:
gabbitas31 said:

NOT COMPLETELY TRUE MARIELOU, UNCLE MARK AS COME UP WITH SOME GREAT IDEAS, LIKE THE ONE FOR LURCHER WORLD :thumbsup: HE PROMISED TO SPONSER ONE OF THE WORKING EVENTS :thumbsup: I THINK IT WAS FOR £100 OR £200 :thumbsup: BUT HE FORGOT TO PAY UP :( HE'S GETTING VERY FORGETFULL IN HIS OLD AGE :unsure: TT

you dont know what your talking about,and it was £130

markbrick said:
gabbitas31 said:

No bother Diane, I'm sure the non-ped clubs would welcome ALL your dogs be they peds, non-peds or lurchers, like they have done with mine. :thumbsup:

Trust me you simply won't be on your own running your non-ped at a lurcher show, there'll be plenty of others doing exactly the same.

:p He can't ruin my day, I'm picking Leia up in the morning. Rose as just posted a lovely picture of her and Tori on the lurcher section. :p :thumbsup: Diane.

In the od days, the '60s, the only differences between lurchers and non ped whippets were, size, wheight and coat ; most tracks in the north had a 21" limit and the BWRA had a 32 lb limit. Both had a rule "dogs to be smooth coated and of whippet like appearance". "No Limit" scratch races were governed by the size of the traps !! To see classes for 45lb "whippets" is ridiculase !!! Lighter Greyhounds have won the Waterloo Cup !!

Eggy.

Eggy said:
In the od days, the '60s, the only differences between lurchers and non ped whippets were, size, wheight and coat ; most tracks in the north had a 21" limit and the BWRA had a 32 lb limit. Both had a rule "dogs to be smooth coated and of whippet like appearance". "No Limit" scratch races were governed by the size of the traps !! To see classes for 45lb "whippets" is ridiculase !!! Lighter Greyhounds have won the Waterloo Cup !!Eggy.

And what were there names Eggy? In all the years I attended the Waterloo Cup the smallest I wittnessed was that great little bitch Mouse Tail who won the cup in 1987, and she certainly wasn't 45lbs or less! If you can't remember their names I'll get in touch with my old mate and top coursing trainer John Bromley, I'm sure he'll remember

Eggy said:
In the od days, the '60s, the only differences between lurchers and non ped whippets were, size, wheight and coat ; most tracks in the north had a 21" limit
and the BWRA had a 32 lb limit. Both had a rule "dogs to be smooth coated and of whippet like appearance". "No Limit" scratch races were governed by the size of the traps !! To see classes for 45lb "whippets" is ridiculase !!! Lighter Greyhounds have won the Waterloo Cup !!

Eggy.

And your point being that dogs over 32 lb should not run aginst each other, that is ridiculous. These are fair races as the dogs are equally matched in weight up to 48lb and no limits are all in together.

gary

And your name is ???????? :- "

dont tell us let us guess ???????

gabbitas31 said:
:p He can't ruin my day, I'm picking Leia up in the morning. Rose as just posted a lovely picture of her and Tori on the lurcher section. :p   :thumbsup: Diane.
And don't forget to put the kettle on when we come down to see her :thumbsup: ;)

Eggy said:
In the od days, the '60s, the only differences between lurchers and non ped whippets were, size, wheight and coat ; most tracks in the north had a 21" limit and the BWRA had a 32 lb limit. Both had a rule "dogs to be smooth coated and of whippet like appearance". "No Limit" scratch races were governed by the size of the traps !! To see classes for 45lb "whippets" is ridiculase !!! Lighter Greyhounds have won the Waterloo Cup !!Eggy.

If they can fit in the trap, let them race :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back