The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Whippet X Bedlington Lurcher

OEH said:
These pics don't show how smooth her coat is, I'll just find another
all these beautiful whip/beds!

I just missed a rough coated bedlington whippet girl puppy. can anyone help? I need to get a puppy soon so that there's plenty of time before I have to go away on business for 6 days (October) to get house training and acclimatisation sorted out.

My whippet just had to be put down with liver cancer, and I love 2 friends' lurchers of this type. Also I thought maybe a cross breed would be less likely to get nasty things at quite a young age (she was 6).

Sorry to drag this thread up from the depths but I found it while searching google for whippet x bedlingtons. We're getting a pup like this tomorrow... I'm amazed how gorgeous they are once they grow up. :D

Any more pics from a few years down the line??

hellybobs said:
I would like to show my little girl off!!! 
She is a whippet-bedlington cross.

Her name is Incadinkado and she is almost 2 years old.View attachment 13641View attachment 13641

Hi hellybobs. Love your little girl. I have male bedlingtonxwhippet (both parents were crufts dogs but pups were accident!) His name is Fergal and he looks just like your girlie. However he is 10 and I would like to find someone who wants to use him for stud in return for me getting a pup so I can keep a bit of him as I love him so much. If you might be interested, or know someone who might, please get back to me. Many thanks :))

Just to answer the OP:

First cross whippet/bedlingtons always have rough coats like yours. Colours are usually either slate grey or fawn, with or without white points - more or less regardless of the parents. The bedlington coat is a homozygous dominant and creates the rough coat in the first cross. In a second cross (bed/whip x bed/whip) there would be a ratio of 25% smooth to 75% rough, of which the last 25% would be homozygous for the rough and the middle 50% would be heterozygous. In practise, the coat is never quite so even in the subsequent generations.

she looks lovely.

ms

My Scrumpy is a rescued dog so we are not 100% certain but everyone seems to think she is beddyXwhippet. She is 3yrs old, 21" and is like a toast rack on legs. She's just soooo skinny. She has a bit of white on her chest & white toes, she also has a silvery tuft on her head :wub:

Hi there! new to all this,

I have 2 bedlington whippet first crosses, they are about 3 now and absolutely beautiful! I didn't realise anyone else knew about these great crosses. Fell completely in love with the cross with our last dog, reminded me of a minature deerhound, and such great temperaments!. Will get some pictures up of them running, amazing to see them working together!

Hello and welcome to K9 :thumbsup: looking forward to seeing some pics,as i to am a bit of a fan of the beddyx :) Julie

Last edited by a moderator:
Back