The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Whippet Running Up To People And Other Things

I use a whistle with Evie - well two actually and we make it into a game. Evie has selective hearing when it comes to voices when there are more interesting things to sniff at. My son stands one end of the field and I stand the other end. Exactly the same whistle each. I hold Evie - son whistles (three short pips and holds arms out) and she bombs down the field to him and gets a treat (a tiny piece of garlic sausage :oops: ). Son holds Evie, and I do the same and she bombs back to me. Weve done it when one of us has been hiding in the grass and shes come to look for us and also short distances as well. She comes back to us every single time in a field with rabbits and swallows moving about and gets lots of off lead time and training at the same time. The thing we are going to work on next is recall with people around. We were told to let her off lead in a secure place with some stooges (friends/partner/children) that dont mind helping. We are going to practise calling her back to me with them around, and get them to turn their back on her if she jumps etc. Evie is only a baby and has done short recalls in a training class with other dogs and people so it will come. When we use a whistle seems to carry further than our voices and it sounds exactly the same no matter who has the whistle. We have one (from PAH) that has an adjustable screw thread so you can make your whistle sound a different pitch perhaps that would help with the other whistles in the park. Evie does try to jump all over people and other dogs so she is on the lead when we go to parks and things - she is only four months old at the moment and is learning fast.

Back