The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Whippet Puppy

B

bigpaws

Hi all, I have a beautiful 9 week old whippet puppy. At certain times of the day she starts playing and gets really wild and keeps biting and you cannot calm her down.

Several people I have spoken to think it could be down to her diet. She is on butchers tinned food and pets at home puppy dry food. They have suggested I try her with fresh chicken. Has anyone encountered this problem before? If anyone could give me some advice it would be appreciated. Thanks

hello

our lovely Tallula did this from the first day we brought her home - it is a sight to behold!!!

how can a tiny pup run so fast in so many directions and not get hurt???

she has calmed down now that she is out in the big wide world running free and the mad moments at home have shortened

- we kind of miss them!!!!

enjoy these puppy moments as they do not last for long (honest!!!)

sounds to me like you have a typical whippet pup (w00t)

all i can say is real food is generally better for them , i personally use natures own pet mince with lambs heart / breast of lamb / offal etc from the butchers but mine are still lunatics :teehee:

as long as the pup is healthy , gaining weight and what comes out the other end (w00t) is solid :b then i wouldnt worry !

have fun ,,, they grow out of it ...................................................

EVENTUALLY :- "

Just a typicle whippet pup.

give it time and it will settle down normaly by about 12 years old lol, only joking it will settle.

Hi,She sounds like a typical whippet puppy to me :devil: ,but,her diet is not good!!!

If you want to stick with complete food,get her onto Burns,you can add a bit of chicken to it,or get some Nature diet.

Alternatively,give her raw tripe/beef,add veggies & a natural biscuit.

Avoid all foods with additives/colourants in them as these can make a dog hyper & unhealthy,as can food with too higher protein level.

I wish you well with your new pup,any chance of some photo's?

Welcome to the world of whippets :lol: Bigpaws :thumbsup: - you will find very good advice on k9 about all sorts in connection with your lovely new pup.

Good Luck with her :luck: - and yes any pictures please. :- "

Welcome to K9 and well it looks like you have typical whippet puppy!!!

Our two are eight months old and they can tear around the house a 100 mph and just go mental!! But they are my babies.... o:)

But it is fun honestly!! :devil: :devil:

I'd forgotten what a pain (literally) ours used to be with biting when a pup. Worst was stealing the gloves off your hand, and almost taking the tips our your finger with it >_< I think he stopped doing it by about 6 months. (Remind me, why am I getting another winter puppy? :wacko: ) Sounds completely normal to me.

Welcome to K9 anyway, don't forget to post some pics of her.

Hi Bigpaws! Your baby sounds like a completely normal whippet puppy! :wacko: I would agree with Debs and say go for Burns with a little added fresh chicken or fish for variety, it's a very natural holistic feed with no artificial additives, so you get smaller healthier poos (I'm an obsessive poo examiner! :x ), a lovely shiny coat and no offensive doggy smell. We put Eli onto it when he was around 2 1/2 to 3yo, and there was a big improvement in his behaviour within days. We also found that because it doesn't contain strog smelling flavour enhancers, the dog doesn't become greedy, and eats just what it needs, so although initially quite expensive you'll find it's actually reasonably economical to use. Good luck!

Just burning off a bit of energy. :D

What does holistic mean in a dog food.?

hi bigpaws sounds pretty norm to me let her know face and hands are off limits :wacko: she'll grow out of it .changing her diet won't make a lot of different's as whippet puppie's only have one gear and that's fifth. Good luck with your new puppy as we have with ours. :wub: :luck:

Karen said:
Just burning off a bit of energy. :D

What does holistic mean in a dog food.?

'I think pretty much the same as in human treatment of 'the body as a whole', and generally accepted as the natural approach to good health. :) It obviously won't be the answer to every problem, and of course won't be to every dogs taste, but Sir Eli seems to be thriving on it, so I'm happy!

If I had a puppy and it WASNT doing 100mph dashes around the garden and furniture, i would be WORRIED :eek:

Typical puppy behaviour , although as stated maybe a `better` PUPPY` diet would be more favorable in the long run .

Mine ( now about 18weeks) (w00t) are on minced tripe /beef . plus chicken wings ( RAW ONLY) plus a few complete biscuits as when they want a little snack . As with most puppies who tear around like lunatics they are having trouble keeeping weight on , but when they have lots of other whips to play with its hardly surprising is it ;)

Welcome to K9

Jackie and the [SIZE=14pt]MULCAIR WHIPPETS [/SIZE]

Just looked at Burns web sight one product 65% Brown Rice! why so expensive? must be the holistic bits

bigpaws said:
Hi all, I have a beautiful 9 week old whippet puppy. At certain times of the day she starts playing and gets really wild and keeps biting and you cannot calm her down.Several people I have spoken to think it could be down to her diet. She is on butchers tinned food and pets at home puppy dry food. They have suggested I try her with fresh chicken. Has anyone encountered this problem before? If anyone could give me some advice it would be appreciated. Thanks

I've got a ten week puppy who goes crazy for two hours every evening... think it'll be better when can finally take him out and tire him out a bit... What's hard is the biting at our clothes/ sleeves and knowing how to deal with it...

Get for her some good doggie toys to bite on instead of your arms. Thick rope with rubber ball (available in most pet shops here) is excellent for this purpose and also in another few weeks time when she will be teething. :luck:

Old tea towel knotted in few places would do if you cannot get something else immediately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any unacceptable biting and you can say arghhhh ( in a growly voice) and play stops. Substitute an acceptable toy, knotted tea towel, rope is great. I use old ( clean <g>) football socks. Play should be on your terms. Photos would be great, they need to be in jpeg and under 75kb :D

Back