The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Whippet Movement

Hi Debra

yep - I took some new pics at 5 weeks (they are 6 weeks now) but only finished the film off this afternoon. Will get them developed tomorrow. So look for them on here tomorrow night :D

Thanks for your interest.

I have sold four pets and one show bitch - running two bitches on myself for a while but they are for sale.

aslan said:
Hitching, as I understand it, is an american term.  I heard it used while I was there and had the movement pointed out to me.  It is used to describe an uneven movement of the hindquarters going away.  One leg seems to be pulled out of the movement action more quickly than the other - a slightly jerky movement.  Not as readily perceptible as an obvious limp but something you notice that is 'not quite right'.
Any american board members who would like to correct me - please do so if I have it wrong!
Hi Aslan, any idea what causes it? Hereditary or possible injury?

How old are your pups now? If you could post some more pic's, Debra and I would both love to see them, I'm sure Dessie would enjoy a good drool over them as well.

Lyd

No Lyd, I'm afraid I don't know what causes hitching !

Damn shame I can't be the font of all knowledge hey? ;)

Look for puppy pics tonight - I will put them under the "Chelsea's Due" topic. They were 6 weeks old this Sunday just gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Guys for that info, :D

I don't think it is so much stringhalt but i believe that Aslan and Karen have seen it, and can better descibe it than me.

It's not as dramatic as stringhalt, i have seen it affecting both American and English lines so i don't think it's an American thing. Just unfortunate that my friend has two dogs that seem to be the same.

Sometimes i think the dog is lame but it isn't that, i have also thought maybe a habit that it has got into say from having a problem with a sore back(maybe pinching a nerve or something). Maybe the nerve is being pinching and this is the dogs way of compensating for it???.

Debra :D :p

Dessie, i have seen Shotgun Willy and it's truly an amazing horse and doesn't seem to be affected by this problem when it gallops. :D

Back