The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Whippet Movement

Debra

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys, :D

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on this. ;)

A friend has a couple of whippets that have similar movement and have similar dogs behind them, there movement is also similar she refers to it as hitching can anyone enlighten me on this description as today she thought that maybe there was a problem with dogs behind these lines. I'm a bit of a movement freak but i'm at a loss to figure this one out. There is another dog from the same litter as her first one that also hitches and now a younger dog from a different litter is doing the same. Sorry if i haven't described it very well, not into all the technical side of it, the truth is ive consumed alcohol :b and it's late :( and my redheaded brain cell has died :( for tonight. :b .

Debra :D :p

Hi Debra, heard of knitting, plaiting, crossing, wide, narrow, etc. Never heard of hitching, although to me it suggests something similar to rolling, but not as smooth.

Is it affecting front or rear legs or both? Can you not pop over to her place and see for yourself? I know you're really busy with you're mum, work, dogs and hubby etc. Although hubby's fishing at the mo.

When you find out, do let us know, maybe someone will be able to help.

Lyd

Hi Lydia,

I am going to her house tomorrow, opps today as i'm picking up one of the dogs i bred, she is picking it up as she is closer to where he is and im going to her house to bring him home. We already have a lovely home for him i just want to get him desexed first as these people didn't do it(i also want to know he is ok before letting him go to his new home). Told all my puppy buyers if they for any reason can't or don't want the dog, i want it back. But this person decided to advertise it free to good home, luckily i have my ear very close to what is going on with the whippet rescue in New South Wales. AAAhhh me very annoyed :angry: :angry: :angry: at the moment over what has happened but my little fellow will be home this time tomorrow. I'll try and have a look then and let you know.

Debra

:D Hi, don't know what hitching is, but this is a photo of my tail-less whippet moving with the drive and reach the standard calls for.

Very proud of her :D

Hi Millie,

She is beautiful and very special :D , could i ask what happened to her tail if you don't mind ;) .

Hi Dessie,

what an even looking 3 whippets would be interested in you lines if you have a moment.

:D Hi Debra,

Its a bit of a long story but she decided she didn't want to come into the world, the only part of her that could be seen was her tail in the birth canal, so a trip to the vets was called for. Once there, even her tail had disappeared again! One oxetosin (not sure how thats spelt) injection later, out pops her tail again, well thanks to our wonderful vet, she did manage to work the whole pup out............very blue and very dead!! She was whisked away by the nurses who did a good job of bringing her back to life again. But saddly a couple of days later her tail began to die.......it did go though a lot of trauma......so it had to be removed. On the bright side she lived and shes never missed what she thinks shes never had!! :b

Well done vet and vet nurse, she looks lovely, despite missing a tail. Oh, and I think you mean an injection of oxytocin, don't know if that's the right spelling either though, a spell check on this board would help a lot.

Lyd

Are these dogs hitching at the rear in the stifle?

Thanks Millie for that, :D :D

She truly is a special whippet, and i agree with you when you say she doesn't miss what she's never had(i'm like that with money ha ha).

Karen they are hitching in the rear, didn't get to see them move on Sunday as i was going up to get one of my pups back that we rescued from a person who bought him about 18 months ago. And yes he slept with me last night(only way to shut him up ;) ), going to get him back in the room with all my guys today so i can have a good nights sleep. He's friendly with all of them he's just he's very insecure. Oh yes it's the first time in 18 months that he has seen female whippets so he's very much in love with my 3 girls now he's grown up. He already has a new home but i wanted to get him desexed first and make sure that he was fit for rehoming, he is that. He is very affectionate. Maybe i should keep him and get rid of the rest(only joking wouldn't inflict them on anyone)

Hitching, as I understand it, is an american term. I heard it used while I was there and had the movement pointed out to me. It is used to describe an uneven movement of the hindquarters going away. One leg seems to be pulled out of the movement action more quickly than the other - a slightly jerky movement. Not as readily perceptible as an obvious limp but something you notice that is 'not quite right'.

Any american board members who would like to correct me - please do so if I have it wrong!

Thanks Aslan, :D

Thats it, we just want to find out why it has happened and what we can do about it.

How are your puppies going, must be real time waster's now. Any new photo's of them?

I see it in UK and am fairly sure its carried by some lines and is a product of over angulation in the rear and a weakness in the cruciat ligament. If you were to try and point it out its fairly hard to see, the dogs usually only do it at speed (which is probably why you see it in the US more) and the owners understandably get shirty.

I first saw this, I have given it no name, perhaps hopping, back in 1991/2

The action that is described sounds like what I would refer to in horse language as a 'stringhalt'. It is usually a problem with the hamstring but doesn't seem to actually affect their performance. There is a racehorse called Shotgun Willy (running next in the Grand National) that has this problem. Very noticeable at the walk and slightly at the trot.

I judged a Whippet once that had this gait, you couldn't say he was lame but just not going evenly when viewed from behind. On talking to the owner after judging this dog had, indeed, had an operation on his hamstring due to an injury, she was surprised I had noticed as it was imperceptible. There you go, just call me "Eagle Eye" LOL

A stinghalt is something to do with a digital extensor tendon I think. Don't they sometimes cut them to eliminate it? I suppose a horse, having a hoof instead of individual toes, wouldn't be affected by this and thats why it doesn't slow them up at all. Does anyone know more ?

I don't think it would be the same problem as these dogs though. I am sure I have heard about this kind of thing somewhere else but I can't remember who from or where. I have a feeling it might have had something to do with a slipping or catching patella though . Not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
The actual cause of stringhalt is not known but generally thought to be neuro-muscular. If operated on the DET is cut just above the hock joint but as the condition does not generally affect performance it is usually not treated unless very severe.

We could ponder the condition of these Whippets and what causes it until the cows come home but, without actually seeing it ........... who knows!!

Back