The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Which Lurcher Is Best??

XXX

Registered
Reaction score
hi,

i have had lurchers most of my life and have always worked them, my personal opinion is that i have always found collie x greyhounds or collie x whippets to be the best on our white tailed friends. i was just wondering what everyone else that works there dogs thought???

I think alot depends on the type ground you hunt or where you are located in the country. For the large fields of east anglia the larger deerhound type crosses are good, as are the many collie/greyhound permatations. I am in the S.West where the fields are a lot smaller and irregular, and frequently interspersed with areas of woodland and large granite outcrops, for this I favour the smaller whippet crosses, for their quick burst of speed over fairly short distances and great for running with nets as they seem to be able to come off them a bit quicker. Saying that, the collie cross I had some years ago did very well, though she was quite small 21 inches at the shoulder.

Thats my pennyworth anyhow.

Last edited by a moderator:
KevinandSophie2.jpg

Smallish ones :thumbsup:

Cheers rabbithunter,

this bitch was only 23 inches, did the business on everything, not just rabbits. She didnt belong to me though :(

But I bred her :)

I think whippet/grey/bedlington are best :- " :wub: but I'm biased :thumbsup:

bet she was tired after catching that lot :thumbsup:

Hi Sparky, She might have been tired on the night -_- but she was out again 2 nights later :thumbsup:

This was my old bitch tilly she was excellent on rabbits both night and day,she also did fox and other larger game :- "

tilly10_small.jpg

she stood 23"

Nice looking dog there, even from that angle. Very good expression, there is something I just love about black dogs, smooth and rough :thumbsup:

DOXHOPE said:
Nice looking dog there, even from that angle.  Very good expression, there is something I just love about black dogs, smooth and rough :thumbsup:
good looking dog dox whats her breeding m8

DOXHOPE said:
KevinandSophie2.jpg

Smallish ones :thumbsup:

Your arms must still be aching after carrying all them home or did you go out that night on a tractor and trailer lol :sweating: :sweating:

foxy said:
DOXHOPE said:
Nice looking dog there, even from that angle.  Very good expression, there is something I just love about black dogs, smooth and rough :thumbsup:
good looking dog dox whats her breeding m8

she was bedlington/greyhound x bedlington/whippet. she was my first lurcher i bought her from a rough council estate. She was £15.00 and that was the best £15.00 i've ever spent. The first thing she ever caught was a hare out of an hedge bottom. She did everything i wanted of her and more, happy memories

unfortunately her kidneys failed when she was only 5 years old.

Hi Milly,

I only carry up to 20 rabbits when we are out, after that it is put them somewhere and pick them up later. On some nights we spend just as much time ferrying rabbits off the hills as we do actually catching them.. :thumbsup:

sophieANDPUP10293.jpg

This is the same bitch with one of her pups, that was also a great taker of large numbers of rabbits :thumbsup:

Awwwwwwwwwwww :wub: puppy :wub: Horrible carpet mind :x

Wait till I tell Kevins mother, she thought it was lovely the day she found it in a skip outside the local pub :D :D

Back