The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Which breeds get along well with corgis?

caninecrazy88

Registered
Reaction score
Looking at getting a Corgi puppy this July but would also like to get another puppy breed that would get along well with it. I would be looking for a bred that is fairly independent as they might be left alone for a couple of hours a day. Could you help?

Thank you :)

Oh lucky you!! I've had a cardigan, a pembroke and I've got a corgi x now. If you don't mind advice re corgis PLEASE be careful when looking for a pedigree puppy. Corgis as a breed are 'at risk'. Too few being bred from a limited gene pool. Find the very best breeder you can who gives you confidence she/he's looked into his puppies' health. Make sure you visit and see the parents or Mum at least. Ask for CoI (Co-efficient of inbreeding). The rule is lower the better. Average is about 9 for pembrokes and about 10 for cardigans. This is way too high and try to find less. (If I were looking now I'd look for a Cardigan x Pembroke but I doubt they exist).

If you want another breed to go with a corgi, why not look for a corgi x ? Don't get anything too big and heavy because a puppy could easily damage that delicate corgi spine playing a labrador, even when grown up. And why not look for a slightly older dog (you'll find them in rescues) that will give your new puppy confidence and a safe play mate without too much rivalry?

Two puppies are never, in my opinion, a good idea. They bond with each other and not with their owner.

There is a, generally accepted, rule of thumb when getting a second dog. It is - different sex and different breed. This lessens the likelihood of rivalry creeping in. As has been said above, different ages are good too. Do remember, though, if you get an adult dog that it will need protecting from being pestered by a boisterous puppy.

I met someone who had got two puppies of different sexes. The bitch came into season at just over six months old and the male was too young to neuter. He was going crazy! To stop unwanted pups she had to keep them separate all the time, which defeated the object of them having each other for company. Never get two bitches of the same age and breed. There is a huge risk of territorial falling out that is, quite often, intractable and usually results in one of them being rehomed.

What about a Beagle?

Thought I might convince you!

Micky11Oct2013 002b.jpg

Oh my goodness! He/she is absolutely gorgeous! Thank you so much for this advice, I really appreciate and will consider all the points you have suggested. We have thought of a beagle actually :- ) we will look out for corgi x

Back