The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

What to do with dog poo?

Baxter's Mum

Registered
Reaction score
I feel really stupid for asking this question but I genuinely have no idea what the answer is.

Obviously on walks we can pick up poo and put it in the poo bins, but what do we do with poo in the garden? Do you just put it in the normal rubbish?

With 4 dogs we accumulate quite a lot!

I scoop it (obviously!) and every other day I put it all in the appropriate bin at the start of our walk. I sometimes do it daily if it happens to be one of those rare hot summer days!

I clean our yard and bedding areas everynight, bag it up and put it in a bin at back of yard and every other day i drop it all down at the tip down the road. Every couple of days I use hot water and zoflora to brush down the yard area.

in fife we have a blue bin for nappies, dog poo, and stuff that cant be recycled so thats where mine goes, failing that we have a dog bin 50 yard from ma house.

I agree there just isnt enough dog poo bins around we have two near us & no where else where are we meant to put them?

it all goes to landfill in the end now, it used to be incinerated. The only problem with putting it in a regular bin is the smell, the poor person who empties the bin won't thank you for putting poo bags in there too, either litter or wheelie bin. There are other options, you can get a dogloo thing which is like a big bucket you build into the ground with water in and an 'activator' to break it down. I fitted one in someones garden, it is grim, to be honest, it smells pretty bad when you remove the lid. If you have a huge garden and a small dog you can bury small amounts in a non-vegetable flower bed. It takes two weeks to break down to no trace in the soil. There is a limit to this, too much and you are in danger of leaving dangerous pathogens in the soil. And you have to remember where you put it for those two weeks! Some clever folk stick it down the main drain, for this you have to lift the big rectangular drain cover somewhere in your garden chuck it in and flush it through with a hose. A two man job really! There are suggestions online to compost it! But as a gardener i would not recomend this at all. Best to bag, double bag, and walk it to a poo bin, :)

personaly i have dug a hole at the bottom of my garden so when my dog leaves is mess i get a spade a scoop it into the hole. After a few days i cover back up with soil and dig a new hole but sumtimes i get these sented baby nappy sacks from wilkos and pick it up with them i find they reduce the smell far better than normal doggy sacks and there cheaper than most. hope this helps

I think I will double bag them and take them over to the dog poo bin on our evening walk.

He's only a little dog so don't think there will be too much.

Thanks for your help guys x

With our council they say put it in a bag then in the rubbish bag for collection every 2 WEEKS. Luckily for us my little chap doesn't produce a lot of poo but my neighbour has 4 house cats with the consequent litter trays!

When Rocky has a poo in the back yard we bag it up as normal and put it in a seperate sealed bin.

It is then added to our wheelie bin rubbish and collect with all the rest.

When it comes to dog poo disposal we're in a really lucky position in Sheffield because all of the street bins' contents are incinerated to reduce landfill and to provide heating for a lot of the council buildings and social housing in the city. This means that although we do have dog poo bins, they're pretty irrelevant as the contents of the dog poo bins (which by law have to be incinerated) go to exactly the same incinerator as the street bins and a load of the other city waste.

So 90% (ish) of Molly's poo is done away from the house and is put in either a poo bin or an on-street bin to go off to be incinerated. When she goes at home we either allow it to decompose fully in the layers of bark mulch we use on her loo patch or we scoop it and put it in one of the bags of dirty cat litter in the standard bin. Although dirty cat litter does smell, the desiccating action of it stops the poo from getting really dreadfully smelly whilst waiting for the bin contents to be removed.

As far as I'm concerned soil is mostly made up of poo of one creature or another, from worms to chicken manure, so the waste from one dog suitably rotted down isn't likely to change the make up of that very much, and no children are around my garden so I don't have to be quite as careful with regard to that as many people.

Back