The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

What Do You Think

I was thinking about this the other day...

as a new member, I have had a couple of PM's asking where I live. I would think these are friendly people looking for other whippet-lovers in their area to maybe get together with the dogs, etc. It's so easy to forget that you don't know what kind of individual you are responding to, unless of course you personally met them already. For long-time members, it's not as much of a problem; you know to be cautious of any new members for awhile. I still feel like such an ousider. :b

Last edited by a moderator:
>i think this is opportunist more likely an overheard conversation in a pub or maybe kennels that can seen from the road, it is a worry and on the back of whats being happing recently i have upped my own security

That's the only thing that any of us can do. Just be more aware and think before opening our mouths and saying the wrong thing to the wrong type of person. But it isn't just a matter of us saying the wrong thing local people and neighbours get to 'know' us all for keeping running dogs and then word gets around. People talk.

I've got some friends who are extremely careful with their dogs. One night a knock comes on the door and there's a bloke stood there wanting to know if they have any dogs for sale. Turned out that he'd been told about them having lurchers by the bloke in the pet shop. A perfect stranger who wasn't known to any of them. :rant: Can't guard against that sort of thing.

(Of course my friends dogs are all knackered and lame).

K9art said:
I was thinking about this the other day...as a new member, I have had a couple of PM's asking where I live. I would think these are friendly people looking for other whippet-lovers in their area to maybe get together with the dogs, etc. It's so easy to forget that you don't know what kind of individual you are responding to, unless of course you personally met them already. For long-time members, it's not as much of a problem; you know to be cautious of any new members for awhile. I still feel like such an ousider.  :b

im so sorry it was me wasnt it !? :( i am a genuine person ...honest...but i know you dont know that so i understand...i thought about you the other day after mallys incident and i was going to pm and aplogise but i didnt want to freak you out!the problem is that there really isnt anyone round here with whippets and i was so excited when i saw your location....obviously however its a big place :- " i was naive and im sorry but cos i would never dream of doing anything wrong i just didnt even think of anything like that

sorry :b

*Lesley* said:
I agree Patrick I think it probably is the opportunist and the fact that these people who steal our dogs are cowards lets face it they probably wouldn't be so brave if you had a garden full of GSD's  :rant:   :rant:

There was a case in Oxfordshire, with kennels protected with a GSD and CCTV- the GSD was shot the men wore masks so the CCTV didn't work and a lurcher a several terriers were stolen.

~whitecross whippets~ said:
K9art said:
I was thinking about this the other day...as a new member, I have had a couple of PM's asking where I live. I would think these are friendly people looking for other whippet-lovers in their area to maybe get together with the dogs, etc. It's so easy to forget that you don't know what kind of individual you are responding to, unless of course you personally met them already. For long-time members, it's not as much of a problem; you know to be cautious of any new members for awhile. I still feel like such an ousider.  :b

im so sorry it was me wasnt it !? :( i am a genuine person ...honest...but i know you dont know that so i understand...i thought about you the other day after mallys incident and i was going to pm and aplogise but i didnt want to freak you out!the problem is that there really isnt anyone round here with whippets and i was so excited when i saw your location....obviously however its a big place :- " i was naive and im sorry but cos i would never dream of doing anything wrong i just didnt even think of anything like that

I wasn't worried about YOU -- honest!!! :lol:

The comments just made me think how easy it would be for someone with devious intentions....

I would would love to find people near me to do whippet walks and fun things with. I will need to get out more and meet people, as I am new to this area. Looking forward to the warmer weather and lots of long walks. :)

K9art said:
K9art said:

I wasn't worried about YOU -- honest!!! :lol:

The comments just made me think how easy it would be for someone with devious intentions....

I would would love to find people near me to do whippet walks and fun things with. I will need to get out more and meet people, as I am new to this area. Looking forward to the warmer weather and lots of long walks. :)

thank god for that i didnt want you thinking i was a weirdo every timeyou saw my name on k9..lol...!... (w00t) (w00t) :thumbsup:

good luck in finding other whippet people ive been here my whole life and i havent met anyone yet!!! :b (w00t)

good luck in finding other whippet people ive been here my whole life and i havent met anyone yet!!! :b (w00t)

Most of my friends and neighbors who have met Libby (and my previous whippets as well) have never seen a Whippet. Most people assume we have a very small greyhound. :teehee:

Most of my friends and neighbors who have met Libby (and my previous whippets as well) have never seen a Whippet. Most people assume we have a very small greyhound. :teehee:

i know me too!....they think whippets are really small dogs ...my jasper is nearly 21"(which isnt as big as some)and everyone thinks he is a greyhound too??? :clown:

i know me too!....they think whippets are really small dogs ...my jasper is nearly 21"(which isnt as big as some)and everyone thinks he is a greyhound too??? :clown:

Hi k9art you emailed me about my bitch Maggie before you went away for Christmas I have met Kaz (whitecross whippets)as her Jasper came from me I can honestly say she is quite harmless maybe a little mad but arn't most whippet owners as for people thinking they are small greyhounds I have a greyhound as well as whippets and most people still think the whipppies are small greyhounds even though william my greyhound is 30 inches and my biggest whippet is 21 inches and i walk the together

Hi k9art you emailed me about my bitch Maggie before you went away for Christmas I have met Kaz (whitecross whippets)as her Jasper came from me I can honestly say she is quite harmless maybe a little mad but arn't most whippet owners as for people thinking they are small greyhounds I have a greyhound as well as whippets and most people still think the whipppies are small greyhounds even though william my greyhound is 30 inches and my biggest whippet is 21 inches and i walk the together

(w00t) (w00t) [SIZE=14pt]me....mad???!!!!!!....never!!!!!!!....lol [/SIZE] o:) :- " :b :clown:

(w00t) (w00t) [SIZE=14pt]Kaz is a stalker na! na! na! na! na! [/SIZE] :ph34r: :teehee:

Well i hope to meet you crazy whippet people someday :clown: (w00t) :clown:

Come along to racing at the Lancashire there's loads of us there (w00t) :wacko:

:thumbsup: no dont k9art :sweating: ...you will be sorry!!!...you may think having 1 dog is ok but soon after meeting that bunch they will all brainwash you into having 4 or even 11!!!! argghhh!!!!!! :p

:thumbsup: no dont k9art :sweating: ...you will be sorry!!!...you may think having 1 dog is ok but soon after meeting that bunch they will all brainwash you into having 4 or even 11!!!! argghhh!!!!!! :p
And whats wong with that :- " :teehee: 1 is never enough :lol:

We run every Sunday weather permitting you're welcome to come anytime here's a link with some info about us :thumbsup:

http://www.k9community.co.uk/forums/index.php?showforum=58

Thanks Leslie, I definitely will try to make an appearance. I may have to wait for warmer weather as Libby is a seriously "wimpy whippet" and not used to being cold at all. :p

The dates only go through the end of February... do you continue after that?

After Feb the official racing season starts so mark will put new dates on soon I should think, believe me once she see's the lure going she'll forget about the cold mine are total fire huggers but they would chase in it the snow if needs be (w00t)

*Lesley* said:
After Feb the official racing season starts so mark will put new dates on soon I should think, believe me once she see's the lure going she'll forget about the cold mine are total fire huggers but they would chase in it the snow if needs be (w00t)

[SIZE=21pt]FIRE HUGGERS [/SIZE]

I like that :D :D :D

Back