The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

What Do You Feed Your Whippet

Janetta

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone out there,

What do people feed their whippets?

When people say "raw" meat, is this chicken, pork or beef.

Does anyone feed fish to their dogs ?

Does anyone use Burns, James Welbeloved, Hills, ect.

How much do people give they dogs?

I would be very grateful if people could give me their opinions as we are in the process of

changing out whippets diet after having returned early from holidays as they were sick.

:cheers: Jenny

Jenny said:
Hi Everyone out there,

I would be very grateful if people could give me their opinions as we are in the process of

changing out whippets diet after having returned early from holidays as they were sick.

You will find this thread very informative

Feeding

Hi Jenny, i've recently changed my two onto the raw food diet. I'm still at the experimental stage at the moment where I am trying them on different foods.

A basic days food typically consists of raw chicken wings in the day and raw lamb, beef or turkey mince with veg in the evening. Once or twice a week I also give them raw eggs & once a week liver & bones from lamb chops. I can't get them to eat raw fish but I do give them tinned sardines/tuna/pilchards or poached salmon at least once a week. I also add carbs such as rice to their food a couple of times a week.

I must say the dogs love the raw food and since they've been on it i've noticed they don't go to the loo as much, when they do it's easier to pick up and a lot less smelly - also our house & car smells more pleasant - before it had a distinct aroma from non stop whippet blow offs! Their coats are glossy and their eyes are shiny and bright and Merlin my older whippet has stopped pestering me for food all the time as he must feel more satisfied. Oh and as an added bonus it's working out cheaper to feed them.

I read the book 'give the dog a bone' by Dr Ian Billinghurst - not sure if anyone else can recommend any other good raw food book. It was a very good/interesting book (accept it recommended giving dogs raisins which we all know is a serious no no)!

I used Burns for Merlin as a puppy and I know it is a very good food as dried food goes, however he was never exactly enthusiastic about it and then he totally stopped eating it. I think James Wellbeloved is of a similar standard as Burns. I have heard Hills can be a bit rich but I have never used it myself.

Personally i've always used my judgement on how much to give depending on how their weight is looking and their activity levels. Their weight is ok at the moment but if either of them gets too fat or too thin i'd adjust the food. Not saying this is right but this is how I do it.

Good luck in finding a suitable diet.

Mine have a very similar diet to that which Jill is feeding her dogs. I add fruit or veg to their meals, not huge amounts, but always a little.

I also give them raw meaty bones once or twice a week, which they love and they also help in keeping their teeth beautifully clean.

Our dogs all thrive on a raw diet, they are in beatiful condition - I do also add Keepers' Mix supplement to their meals and when I've not got any veg or fruit in I add Easy Green; both supplements from Dorwest Herbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jenny,

I feed my 15month on Burns and he does very well on it. He was not enthusiastic about the dried food but they have started doing a wet food to mix in with it and he loves that. He looks for his food in the evening now. He is not a dog to overeat at all - but like others he loves his raw meaty bones we get from our local farm butcher.

Kathy

Jenny said:
Hi Everyone out there,

I give Grace James Wellbeloved or Burns dry food with alternately tinned fish (tuna or salmon) & leftover cooked veg (mornings) and a pouch of puppy moist food in the evenings. She thinks the dry food is far too boring to contemplate on its own! I've read a book about raw food diets but can't get past my early conditioning about not giving animals chicken bones. She seems to be thriving.

5andahalf_months3_web.jpg

one of my whippets (talulla) has always refused to eat dried food and we have tried them all - soaking, mixing in with wet food - frankly she would rather starve (w00t)

so they all have had Natures Diet or Nature Menu wet with veggies and occasionally pasta or rice.

however........ we decided to take the plunge and purchase two large bags of dried complete from The Natural Dog Food Company

wow

they all love it - talulla included!

even the two pups are enjoying the puppy food, and to top it all off Ghillie is at last passing normal poo's :D

he has a really sensitive tummy :(

the company are really helpful and send out free samples

my only warning is - lock it away or else you will find that your cat has ripped the bag open o:)

Izzy has Burns dry and every other day at night I put a bit of tinned sardine mixed in, maybe a bit of scrambled egg at the weekend mixed in for breakkie :D

I giver her more than the recommended as its only a tiny amount.... I use a washing machine powder scoop to measure it out and its just about right :thumbsup:

I dread to think what my Dad gives her whilst she is with him during the day :x Bad man ruins her!

Forgot to say pet shops who stock dried food usually very helpful and give you samples to try.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back