The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

What a Brilliant Day

lokeren

Registered
Reaction score
:D :D :D For the first time we have been to a lure coursing meeting today, run by Mark Roberts of Parkstone Whippets. What a fantastic afternoons sport we had and all done in a very very friendly atmosphere.

We took our 3 and 2½ year old Whippets, BJ and Asharna, and our 2 Italian Greyhounds, Jack and Charlie.

BJ looked at the lure and thought if you think I'm chasing that, you can think again and was only interested in playing! Asharna did ok but if I'm honest I'm not too sure whether it was the lure she was chasing or her running partner who was miles in front of her, but she had a great time.

The Italians then had a go, Jack was ok until he got near the hedgebottom and that was definitely more like a place he would find a rabbit! But Charlie, bless him has found his niche. There was bound to be one for him somewhere. He had 3 runs and completed each time with not a hint of breathlessness. He was most displeased when we wouldn't let him have a fourth go.

Even the rain held off during the fun, although it had rained heavily most of the morning. We all got very muddy indeed, especially the slip lady who was covered back and front having landed in the mud on her bottom more than once. But it didn't matter at all we had such a good time.

There were some very lovely, fast dogs and it was a pleasure to watch them especially near the end when 3 or four would run together.

All in all a great day, even the traffic jams on the way home didn't diminish our enjoyment of the day.

As I write this for those of you who read this that were there, Charlie is still wide awake and bringing his ball so he can chase it round the room!

Once again thanks for giving us such a great day out. I'm sure it won't be our last time.

Hi Jan, I've just about got clean? although I think it might take June a while longer (lets see if Persils realy as good as they claim at getting mud out?)

Pleased you enjoyed you'reself Charlie certainly showed that IG's are more than caperble of compeating and fullfiling the perpose they were bred for, hopefully next time we can get more Itailian Greyhounds there and get a proper stake for them.

Slipper ~ June Symmons (and slip she did? right in the mud more than once)

Judge ~ Jeff Hutchins

1st ROUND HEATS

Cu'Luath Brodie

bt

Cosmic Carina

Cu'Luath Bowmore

bt

Inching Closer

Wheres Me T

bt

Parkstone Taboo

BJ

bt

Lilting Leah

Cu'Luath Stormbird

bt

Parkstone Buttons

Born To Run

bt

Cu'Luath Crazy Daisy

Red Wind (Better known as Easy Jet :w )

bt

Lokeran Adrianne

Cu'Luath Bluebird

bt

Ginny

2nd ROUND 1/4 FINALS

Cu'Luath Brodie

bt

Cu'Luath Bowmore

Wheres Me T

bt

BJ

Cu'Luath Stormbird

bt

Born To Run

Red Wind

bt

Cu'Luath Bluebird

MAIN SEMI FINALS

Wheres Me T

bt

Cu'Luath Brodie

Red Wind

bt

Stormbird

MAIN FINAL

Red Wind

bt

Wheres Me T

CONSOLATION FINAL

Lilting Leah

bt

Cu'Luath Crazy Daisy.

NEXT MEETING 16th November, please book in early as places are filling fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to hear some IGs are having a go. Bet they are fun to watch. Some great names too that I haven't heard before. 'Specially like Wheres Me T and Inchin Closer :D

Hi Scott

June went several times the 1st being before we even started? :0

Judy ~ Wheres Me T is a young pup (about 14 months) thats just trialled in at the Northern & Inching Closer is a HOE dog owned by Stark who uses K9 & BJ and Lokeran Adrianne are owned by Lokeran who ran the IG's.

:( Sorry Mark, we can't make the next meet but please let me know dates for future meets. I agree it would be a brilliant idea if a number of Iggies entered. I shall have to see if I can get anyone interested.

These are the dates for the rest of 2003/4

November

16th ~ 16 Dog Stake for Whippets & Trials for any breed.

30th ~ 16 Dog Stake for Whippets & Trials for any breed.

December

14th ~ 16 Dog Stake for Whippets + Trials for any breed.

28th ~ 16 Dog Stake for Whippets + Trials for any breed

January

11th ~ 16 dog Stake + Trials any Breed.

25th ~ 16 Dog Stake + Trials any Breed.

February

8th ~ 16 Dog Stake + Trials any Breed.

22nd ~ 16 Dog Stake + Trials any Breed. (End of season get together after this meeting in the nearby pub same format as the last one)

Hi Mark ,can you tell me where they are held, Is the course straight or in a large circle ,ta Jax

Hi Jax

the meetings are held in Chorley Lancs 5 mins from jnc 27 of the M6 motorway.

we run then all over a large field with up to 10 turns using small rollers bought from injoy (based in USA)

the turns can be anything from a slight deviation fto making the dogs almost turn back on themselve (zig zagging), the courses are anything from 250-600yds in lenth depending on the conditions.

Sundays meeting was around 400yds due to the heavy going.

ive attached a word doc showing the typical course layout, run on the take up system so as not to have line perminantly on the ground

A_typical_course.doc

Thanks for the dates for the rest of the season Mark and I have printed off the course layout that you provided. If it's ok with you I will use it on the Discover Dogs stand. I think the coursing section is taking on a life of it's own.

Jax, I can only recommend that you go. It took us 2½ hours to get there from where we live, so it would be round about the same for you, I would think.

Jan

Hi Lokeran

THe lure coursing it's self is just a tool, it's the people that turn up that make the atmosphere what it is.

you're welcome to use the plan I have more i'll scan them in and send them you if you would like drop me an e/mail on mark@parkstonewhippets.co.uk and i'll send them.

[SIZE=14pt]I forgot to mention! I've got a dog walking out coat that was left behind by somone on Sunday,[/SIZE]

if anyone lost 1 drop me an e/mail and i'll get it back to you.

:D Yes please Mark that would be great. I certainly agree that it's the people that make the difference and what a lovely group of enthusiasts they are.

Jan

Back