The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

We Weighed Floyd Today

Lise

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

We decided to weigh him etc today and I would appreciate some feed back please.

Floyd is 6 months old on 23rd Sept 2005, he is 19 1/2 inches to his front shoulder (the top of) and weighs in at 20lb, is that ok-ish?? and when do whippets mature and stpo growing?

He is still incerdibly fussy and I now have to grind the complete food, mix it with tripe and a few whole bit sof complete food, but he is eating plenty, and the vet suggest I cut him to 2 meals a day as he was being so fussy and eating very little at any meal.

Here he is........

PS do his claws look excessively long to you??

Brixham_August_2005_008.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
oh, he looks lovely :wub: such an alert expression, and beautiful shiny coat!

dont know about growth and weight etc, but walking my dogs on tarmac/pavements helps keep nails worn (it badly shows when they havent been out :b such as during seasons) but cutting a meal may help with his appetite. sometimes adding a little gravy can help, mine love getting 'people' food on theirs! o:) little saints!!

Wow!!! Whatever food you're managing to get into him, he's looking well on it. He's gorgeous!! A picture of health :wub:

I've recently discovered what works for Josie if she's being a bit fussy, and that's spooning a bit of beaten egg over whatever she's having (usually Burns with a bit of raw mince).

Aw, Floyd :wub:

~Helen~ said:
Wow!!! Whatever food you're managing to get into him, he's looking well on it. He's gorgeous!! A picture of health :wub: I've recently discovered what works for Josie if she's being a bit fussy, and that's spooning a bit of beaten egg over whatever she's having (usually Burns with a bit of raw mince).

thats a good one, i'll try that! mine also like a spoon of codliver oil on their breakfast :x but its good for their coats :)

lalena said:
~Helen~ said:
Wow!!! Whatever food you're managing to get into him, he's looking well on it. He's gorgeous!! A picture of health :wub: I've recently discovered what works for Josie if she's being a bit fussy, and that's spooning a bit of beaten egg over whatever she's having (usually Burns with a bit of raw mince).

thats a good one, i'll try that! mine also like a spoon of codliver oil on their breakfast :x but its good for their coats :)

Do they like the taste of cod liver oil?

Wheatgerm oil is very good for their coats too, and they all seem to like the taste of it for some reason - my cats will just lap it off the spoon!

His nails certainly look as if they could do with quite a bit off :eek: Sorry to be so blunt :- " but it will spoil the shape of his feet unless you get them well trimmed down . If you cant do it yourself , try and find someone who knows what they are doing , I would avoid going to the vet like the plaque as they usually dont know how to do it right any way AND they charge you :rant:

20 lbs sounds a bit light to me , but its hard to tell from the picture , have you tried raw chicken wings ? mine all love them :thumbsup:

Looks very handsome to me :thumbsup:

I do agree with Jax, think his nails are a bit too long. He looks in great shape though :thumbsup:

Julie

6 months old puppy is like a kid in early to mid teens, skinny and lanky, the next year or two he will fill in. He will still grow a bit over the next few months.

To me he looks well and healthy, that is the main thing. I would cut his meals to 2 a day. If he is really anorexic you could try giving him Periactin, that is an allergy medication available over the counter at pharmacy and is prescribed by vets to increase appetite in dogs and cats. Just a 1/4 of tablet about an hour before the morning meal. I am an expert in creating picky eaters and this always worked, although one dog would only eat day after the tablet. I usually give it daily for couple of weeks, than go to every second day and then only if he starts being bit slow finishing his meals. Once the dog puts on enough weight, then I do not worry if he/she skips a meal. Leave it for half an hour and then take it away, cover in plastic and offer again next feeding time.

Actually, looking at his photo again he looks just about right to me; no ribs sticking out and just a hint of his hip bones. Maybe you just expect him to eat more than he really needs.

Yes, the nails need to be trimmed.

Lida

~Helen~ said:
lalena said:
~Helen~ said:

Do they like the taste of cod liver oil?

Wheatgerm oil is very good for their coats too, and they all seem to like the taste of it for some reason - my cats will just lap it off the spoon!

they love it,but if the kids get hold, they pour in loads, and my oh my, the runs :x ! does wheatgerm have the same effect? because an alternative would be appreciated for my sake! just the smell of codliver in the morning :x ! suffice to say, i havent had breakfast for nearly 2 years!

lalena said:
~Helen~ said:
lalena said:
t ! does wheatgerm have the same effect? because an alternative would be appreciated for my sake! just the smell of codliver in the morning :x ! suffice to say, i havent had breakfast for nearly 2 years!

Little bit of wheatgerm is good, in any case too much fish oil can cause problems.

I cannot see that is possible to get him any shinier, though! :thumbsup:

Lida

Wow, your Whippet is gorgeous, so different looking to the North American ones I see here all the time.

Floyd looks great, i feed cod liver oil in capsule no mess!

Hi Lise

Floyd looks vey much like a dog i owned 20 years ago which came from Scarborough, i noticed your from East Yorkshire and wondered if it is the same line?

Patrick

Lise , what a stunning looking dog :wub:

Are you going to show him, otherwise I wouldnt be too bothered about his height.

Oscar is over 22inches (w00t) at just over a year - but Im not showing him and Kobi looks like he will be smaller.

I also use wheatgerm oil, and Codliver oil capsules, also garlic tablets are very good for them too. :thumbsup:

:wub: Look at his eyes!!!! He is mesmerising..................

Thank you all for your advice and lovely comments about Floyd, he really is so gorgeous and really does brighten our lives as well as 99.9% of the people that have met him and fallen in love with him too. Someone suggested brushing him with velvet?? I use a soft brush and thats about all he seems to need.

Lise & Floyd

Lise said:
Hi All, We decided to weigh him etc today and I would appreciate some feed back please.

Floyd is 6 months old on 23rd Sept 2005, he is 19 1/2 inches to his front shoulder (the top of) and weighs in at 20lb, is that ok-ish?? and when do whippets mature and stpo growing?

He is still incerdibly fussy and I now have to grind the complete food, mix it with tripe and a few whole bit sof complete food, but he is eating plenty, and the vet suggest I cut him to 2 meals a day as he was being so fussy and eating very little at any meal.

Here he is........

hes the absolute double of my boy, right down to the markings on his chest!

amazing

Hi Annlouise,

Floyd originally came from near basingstoke, his kennel name is Trenthyde Gareth.

Where is your whippet from and do you have a picture?

Lise

annlouise said:
Lise said:
Hi All, We decided to weigh him etc today and I would appreciate some feed back please.

Here he is........

hes the absolute double of my boy, right down to the markings on his chest!

amazing

Hi, He comes from Bentworth originally! He kennel name is Trenthyde Gareth!

Lise

masta said:
Hi Lise
Floyd looks vey much like a dog i owned 20 years ago which came from Scarborough, i noticed your from East Yorkshire and wondered if it is the same line?

Patrick

:wub: :wub: :wub: Floyd is [SIZE=14pt]GORGEOUS[/SIZE] :wub: :wub: :wub:

Back