The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Wanted: a ball I can locate in long grass when my dog can't!

MeganToo

Registered
Reaction score
My dog loves to chase and collect a ball. But then runs off with it. I've no difficulty calling her back but it is usually without the ball. We have lost so many! Tennis balls soon take on the colour of the surroundings, and even prime colour balls get lost in long grass. I see there is an app which can find golf balls but only because they are white - can anyone recommend a white (tennis-sized) ball? Or a ball that will flash or beep on command?

Sorry no.

Why not think about teaching your dog to find the ball by scent?

Take a look here www.talkingdogsscentwork.co.uk

First the dog has to want to play with the item, in your case the ball. Then they use a chosen scent (catnip or any unfamiliar scent) to impregnate the toy. The dog is encouraged to find it when it is dropped behind you and unseen by him. A thrilling game ensues (in the case of a ball you may need another ball to throw as a reward for finding the first one). Once the dog can track back a short distance to find the ball you add your word such as "find it". A thrilling game must always ensue. Never take the ball and end the game.

Once he understands that "find it!" means a game is on then he will be keen to use his nose to find the ball. You can then extend the game into hiding the ball behind things and under things. It must be easy at first and he must be successful or he will be discouraged and most important of all it must be FUN. Do not let your frustration at lost balls cause you to dampen his enthusiasm.

The courses, run by Talking Dogs Scentwork, were started by Pam McKinnon. She worked as a drugs detector dog handler for HM Customs and has a vast knowledge of training dogs in scent work. The courses are packed with information and every dog has tailored help in learning to find items (she usually uses small scented felt mice) so that he can enjoy a fabulous game with it.

In proper scent work the handler does not "help" the dog by directing him to where the item is. You learn handling skills that help you to search an area in a structured way. So, in the case of a lost ball, you would know roughly where it is and would do a grid search of the area with your dog. The course teaches you all about that and all about reading your dog while he is working. It is not as straightforward as it sounds.

Any dog can do scent work it is us handlers that need training in the art of it.

Flashing balld b and m. Start to flash one it hit the floor. Has savrd us many many balls. Particularly noe the evenings are darkening.

Our lot will chase balls to retrieve, If a ball gets lost we can direct the dogs in the direction to where it was seen to land and they will hunt until it is found,

then bring it back.

Back