The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Walkies..... Just Wondering

becpeters

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am hoping that I don't sound too stupid asking this, :b but at the moment we have Harley(10months blue and white) and Joshy(5months black) and was just wondering what everyone does about letting their dogs off for free running during these winter months. We have all the reflective gear for them as suggested on the other thread, but feel a bit sorry for them only getting free running mainly at weekends and the odd weekday. They are still getting three walks a day if they don't get to go off lead and lots of play and training, but the thing is they have only just about started to come back in the daylight when we call them, and just really worried that they wouldn't in the dark and are scared to take that first step.....but if three walks a day and free running at the weekends is enough then thats fine, we didn't know if we were just being over protective or not or if there was anyone else who didn't let their whippies off lead in the dark??? :teehee:

How far do you walk them? 3 times a day seems fine to me, the thing with whippets is they will fit in with whatever you want i know people who walk them miles every day and i know others who just let them out in there garden. I dont let mine off lead when walking them as we had one savaged by 3 gsd years ago.

Paula Roberts said:
How far do you walk them? 3 times a day seems fine to me, the thing with whippets is they will fit in with whatever you want i know people who walk them miles every day and i know others who just let them out in there garden. I dont let mine off lead when walking them as we had one savaged by 3 gsd years ago.
we walk them for about 1/2 hour in the morning and at lunchtime and then an hour in the evening, it just feels a bit weird to begin with after the lovely runs we had in the summer but what else can you do I suppose, they seem happy enough... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as there happy and your happy thats all that matters :luck: any chance of some pics.

here are a couple there are some more on my gallery

View attachment 22704

100_1773.jpg

You also have to remember that the ground can be very hard in Winter, and running free can cause injuries. I don't know if whippets are a bit tougher than greyhounds, but I would be cautious anyway.

Enjoy your walks!

Cerito

I know i wouldn't let mine off lead in the dark,it would worry me sick if they dissappeared,& the thought of what could happen to them at night doesn't bear thinking about,but i am a paranoid worryguts when it comes to my dogs! (w00t)

Your dogs look gorgeous :wub: :wub:

alfyn said:
I know i wouldn't let mine off lead in the dark,it would worry me sick if they dissappeared,& the thought of what could happen to them at night doesn't bear thinking about,but i am a paranoid worryguts when it comes to my dogs! (w00t)
Your dogs look gorgeous :wub:   :wub:

I am sooo glad other people feel the same I just thought I was being over protective with my boys, but I don't know what I'd do if anything ever happened to them.

i let mine off the lead when its dark cos i work full time its dark when i get home and no matter how far i walk him he wont settle till he has bn off lead. so i bought them small flashers that attach to there collars so no matter how far they go i still see them.

I too, am scared to let her off lead in the dark, she's only 6 mths ( have to admit, it scares me in the daylight too (w00t) ) maybe we'll be more brave when they're older with a better recall, but it's nice to hear Paula say as long as the dogs are happy they fit in with whatever you do, can't see the point in letting your pet race off intopossible trouble when you're not confident just yet

your whippets are beautiful BTW :wub: :wub:

[SIZE=8pt]I went to vassalls the other night and it was so dark i couldnt see anything :( , but tilly had her jacket on and didnt stray far from me :sweating: , think she was fightened she would lose me more than the other way round..... (w00t) [/SIZE]

she gets at least one hour long walk a day

My dogs are 15 months and 7 months and I let them off the leads during the day, but not at night.

I tend to road walk at night around the village as access to the fields - is just too dark (for me anyway (w00t) ) Im sure the dogs would find something to chase and I wouldnt have a clue where they'd gone, so better to be safe than sorry in my opinion.

Besides one never knows who youd meet and with what type of dogs in the dark too.

Back