The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Walkies For Puppies

paulahutchings

Registered
Reaction score
Hoping for some advice.

We've just started taking our Freddie (11 week old lurcher pup) out for walks on a lead. Have read that you should not over-exercise puppies. Does anyone have any advice on this - how long to walk and how often?

Also we are using a standard fabric puppy collar and lead. Should we try getting a smaller sized thicker collar?

Grateful for any advice :thumbsup:

Paula

only really a few minutes daily until hes older, as too much too soon is bad for their little joints, and can affect their growth. pups run around so much at home, anyway, for the first few months its all they really need.

any pics?

I was wondering the same thing about our new puppy! I took our lurcher pup to the vet today to get him weighed (he's already 9.8kg at 4 months old!) and I asked advice when we were there. The vet said he should be having a 20 minute walk on the lead every day, but the odd longer walk with time off lead is ok too as long as it's not all the time. I've taken our puppy out with our older dog a few times and we've been out at least an hour every time. Charlie (the pup) has a little run about in the field with our staffy but I always bring him back after 10 or 15 minutes or so he doesn't overdo things.

Hope this helps!

Back