The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Views On Racing

Juley said:
June Jonigk said:
I've edited a post, and remove some others that quoted it, or replied to it, about show breeders breeding deformities.  I think the original poster was referring to other breeds, but it upset a few, so it's now gone :thumbsup:
I enjoyed our chat and appreciate it. Many thanks. Like we said, we all love our Whippets and want to enjoy our activities with them for many years to come. :cheers:

I did too - nice to chat about things that matter like how much we love these little creatures :thumbsup:

SUNDANCE said:
I've been racing for 15 years, and in that time we have had one WCRCh/VC, another dog made up to WCRCh, three more dogs achieving VC's and three half champions.  I've just realized where I've been going wrong.  I've been treating them like pets all this time :D   I was hoping that one of the three wise women could give me some advice as to how I could improve my dogs performance on the track by treating them like 'racing dogs' :lol:   I am aware that the three of you have had great success in racing  and I am sure I could learn a lot from your expert training tips and advice on diet :thumbsup:
Now as you well know young Robin I have had lots and lots of very good advice from yourself. Like for example 'why the hell have you been so stupid as to enter your dogs in those weight groups. Are you a moron. Your dogs don't stand a chance in them and yes you were as always correct :thumbsup: '. I would never ever be so forward as to give your supreme self any advice at all. APART PLEASE READ MY POST AGAIN.

ps have you decorated the babies room yet. I suppose that with a baby Rob/Lucy on the way that would explain your inablilty to read my post correctly. :huggles:

I've removed some of the more... um...'personal'.... posts. This is supposed to be about views on racing......not each other! (w00t)

Please, please try to get on - at least on K9.......... its the stress...... I can't take it anymore :'( I'm off to find a dark room to lie down in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Judy said:
I've removed some of the more... um...'personal'.... posts. This is supposed to be about views on racing......not each other!  (w00t)

Please, please try to  get on -  at least on K9.......... its the stress...... I can't take it anymore  :'(   I'm off to find a dark room to lie down in.

please be nice people :huggles: Ive been worrid all day poor judy in a dark room

with all that stress :eek: what sort of a christmas will nigel and their lovely whippets

have ? so if your a whippet lover lets get judy out of that dark room :)

IT is nearly the season of good will to all men and whippet owners and judy :)

IT is nearly the season of good will to all men and whippet owners and judy
So do we need to be nice to Women or is it just "men, Whippets & Judy" o:)

Mark Roberts said:

well mark I was told you are allways a gentleman :lol:

but for those of you who need telling you should be nice to women

at all times :thumbsup:

What a strange thread. I haven't been on for a while so I haven't been following this 'live', and now it doesn't seem to make much sense :blink: I was beginning to think I was being dim til I realised stuff had been removed and I wasn't as daft as I thought :D I'm exhausted trying to work it all out.....I'm going to bed! :lol: :D :lol: :D

Vicky

x

Racing our whippet's (w00t)

My dog's loved to race .

Yep your up at the crack o dawn walking them (well John) :lol: , but all dog's need a morning walk,,,when your walking them, your looking at the way they walk :blink: ,,thinking are they walking okay :oops: :oops: , then home for a good brekki.

During the day I took over,,massaging, grooming and just the normal up keep of any dog in the house, but add 4 :lol:

Then I would cook tea for the dogs (mine were fussy) let is cool and watch all 4 eat,,,making sure Ross would not steal any of the slow eater's dinners, or ww3 would have broken out (w00t)

John's back from work, and walked the dogs again ,,then a paw wash, to make sure all the grit or mud is off the paws, then just before bedtime out for a quick pee a bonio biscuit, then bed

The thing I loved about racing my boy's was just getting out of the house, meeting new people, who loved their dogs, like we do,,making friends :thumbsup:

Enjoy your dog/dogs

The dog has more chance of getting hurt, jumping off the sofa :p

I no longer race, due to my health, but raced for around 23yrs.

If they want to race,then let them chase the plastic lure :thumbsup:

If my health improves over the years to come,,I will get another pup to race :thumbsup

Good luck and I bet you buy another pup in 12 months time :p

peppermint sue said:
Mark Roberts said:

but for those of you who need telling you should be nice to women

at all times :thumbsup:

I thought as much :- "

Susan said:
Racing our whippet's  (w00t)
My dog's loved to race .

Yep your up at the crack o dawn walking them (well John)  :lol: , but all dog's need a morning walk,,,when your walking them, your looking at the way they walk  :blink: ,,thinking are they walking okay  :oops:   :oops: , then home for a good brekki.

During the day I took over,,massaging, grooming and just the normal up keep of any dog in the house, but add 4  :lol:

Then I would cook tea for the dogs (mine were fussy) let is cool and watch all 4 eat,,,making sure Ross would not steal any of the slow eater's dinners, or ww3 would have broken out  (w00t)

John's back from work, and walked the dogs again ,,then a paw wash, to make sure all the grit or mud is off the paws, then just before bedtime out for a quick pee a bonio biscuit, then bed

The thing I loved about racing my boy's was just getting out of the house, meeting new people, who loved their dogs, like we do,,making friends  :thumbsup:

Enjoy your dog/dogs

The dog has more chance of getting hurt, jumping off the sofa  :p

If they want to race,then let them chase the plastic lure  :thumbsup:

If my health improves over the years to come,,I will get another pup to race  :thumbsup

Good luck and I bet you buy another pup in 12 months time  :p

:thumbsup: says it all :thumbsup:

i hope you do become well enough to return to your hobby :huggles:

peppermint sue said:
Judy said:
I've removed some of the more... um...'personal'.... posts. This is supposed to be about views on racing......not each other!  (w00t)

Please, please try to  get on -  at least on K9.......... its the stress...... I can't take it anymore  :'(   I'm off to find a dark room to lie down in.

please be nice people :huggles: Ive been worrid all day poor judy in a dark room

with all that stress :eek: what sort of a christmas will nigel and their lovely whippets

have ? so if your a whippet lover lets get judy out of that dark room :)

IT is nearly the season of good will to all men and whippet owners and judy :)

:lol: and do you know what...... I stubbed my toe in the dark :(

And Mark..... just being nice to me will do. You can forget everyone else if you want to. :lol:

Susan said:
Racing our whippet's  (w00t)
My dog's loved to race .

Yep your up at the crack o dawn walking them (well John)  :lol: , but all dog's need a morning walk,,,when your walking them, your looking at the way they walk  :blink: ,,thinking are they walking okay  :oops:   :oops: , then home for a good brekki.

During the day I took over,,massaging, grooming and just the normal up keep of any dog in the house, but add 4  :lol:

Then I would cook tea for the dogs (mine were fussy) let is cool and watch all 4 eat,,,making sure Ross would not steal any of the slow eater's dinners, or ww3 would have broken out  (w00t)

The thing I loved about racing my boy's was just getting out of the house, meeting new people, who loved their dogs, like we do,,making friends  :thumbsup:

Enjoy your dog/dogs

The dog has more chance of getting hurt, jumping off the sofa  :p

If they want to race,then let them chase the plastic lure  :thumbsup:

If my health improves over the years to come,,I will get another pup to race  :thumbsup

Good luck and I bet you buy another pup in 12 months time  :p

read this when i got in from work this morning at the crack of dawn and all was very frosty and i was just having a brew and getting my blighters ready for there walk . but i would not change a thing, (w00t) yes you summed it all up perfectly :thumbsup: hope you get well soon and are able to rejoin the rest of us nutcases soon. :thumbsup:

As a 'Newcomer' perhaps I'm in a position to commenst on how this type of debate might impact the new kids on the block!

My name is Ron Copsey, I have three Whippet pups and have been training them at Andover.

I've read much on this site but rarely comment as it appears that differing or opposing views can be perceived as threatening in some way and that leads to angry squabbles and sometimes nasty comments and who wants to be involved in that? Not me!

It would be a boring world if we were all the same. These comments DO NOT put me off racing! In the last year I have travelled to different clubs and have listened to much advice from many people - some valuable and some not but I have appreciated that people are kind enough to offer their racing and training tips.

Newcomers are not always as Green as can be assumed! Our racing knowledge might be limited but we can come with considerable dog ownership experience and life experience! For example, I have owned/worked/bred/shown etc etc dogs for over 30 years and have learned a thing or two.

Before buying my first Whippet I read up on them, made phone calls and emailed a few people 'in the know' - some were helpful and welcoming and some were the opposite and that's life - the racing clan only reflect what's out there anyway.

I have been told that free running of racing dogs is not advisable and that my girls will not achieve their best on the track if I allow this practice (which I do). I respect that opinion and have no doubt it works for them and have no desire to change their way of thinking!

But for me, racing is but once a fortnight, a hobby, a doggy day out and some fun (hopefully) and therefore I allow my dogs to do what comes naturally to them and watching that is the best part of Whippet ownership for me.

If that limits them on the track then so be it. If they ever win a race then great, I'll be chuffed to bits but, for this Whippet owner, owning my girls means much more than winning a race because the 'winning' doesn't matter that much to me. I accept this might change in time (is what I'm told) but for now ..... However if winning is your thing and does it for you, then great!

LIVE AND LET LIVE IS WHAT I SAY!!

Seasonal Greetings and Joy to One and All.

And Mark..... just being nice to me will do. You can forget everyone else if you want to
I can't see how anyone could not be nice to you Judy.

but thanks for the free rein to upset everyone else, but you must not remove my post's now cos youve given me permission "IN WRITING" :- "

Judy said:
:lol:   and do you know what...... I stubbed my toe in the dark  :(

T'is me showing my caring side. :thumbsup:

Oooo you want to be careful about stubbing toes 'cause bones can get brittle once a person reaches a certain age.

BeeJay said:
peppermint sue said:
Mark Roberts said:

I dunno who told you that Julie. Was it Mark or were they very drunk at the time? :lol:

:unsure: :unsure: for a change Barbara ive not said a thing :unsure:

its that PEPPERMINT SUE woman :lol:

BeeJay said:
peppermint sue said:
Mark Roberts said:

I dunno who told you that Julie. Was it Mark or were they very drunk at the time? :lol:

you quoted me barbara but its allright I will forgive you its an age thing :lol:

I think that I was suffering from some Peppermint confusion then. :wacko: :wacko: :D

Back