The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Vet Told Girlfriend To Stop Dental Sticks Immediately?

Deansaliba

Registered
Reaction score
My girlfriend took her dog to the vet for a check-up and she told him that she gives her a dental stick every morning, the vet said that we should stop this immediately as they are very high in sugar and the only way to help a dog with keeping their teeth healthy is with a dog toothbrush and toothpaste.

I thought they helped?

Is he right? Or is he just trying to sell us a toothbrush and toothpaste?

No, he is right about dentastix I'm afraid. I can't remember what the hidden sugar is but it's one of the big chemical names.

You could use a normal baby toothbrush or even a rough weave rag over your finger, but not human toothpaste as it froths too much. I use Logic gel.

Or, raw chicken wings are good. What breed, or at least what size is the dog?

Last edited:
If I don’t recognise all the ingredients in my dogs’ foods or supplements, they don’t get it. Non-specific ingredients allow fir hidden changes of formula too. Cereals seem to be top of list, followed by vegetables, which could well mean your dog is taking in a lot of high GI (sugary) foodstuffs.

Basically, with the iffy ingredient list, dogs can end up with all the dross left over from tge food manufacturing industry. :(

Im not sure about this, but I would be careful what type of toothpaste you use if you choose to go that way. Maybe you could look into all-natural vegan type toothpaste and check if that kind of stuffs OK. Probably a bit cheaper and healthier as im not sure the standard human toothpaste is good for us, but we still get it sold to us.

Back