The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Very Nippy And Chewy Pup

How old is your dauter. It look like he thinks shes another pup of the same rank as him. try and get her to do some basic traning and let her put down his food so he realies shes above him that should stop any humping aswell. My dauter takes over and does a lot of care and traning with pups it worked well with Indy and now with Ninny Were just in the prosess of stoping ninny niping so its lots of ignoring and walking off and screaching like a pup but it does work.

Good luck with him its all worth it in the end

jas328sport said:
just wondering why people are actually worried about the dog growing up being scared of a particular thing.i remember when i was younger my parents had a destructive springer spaniel who used to get a good telling off with a rolled up newspaper.as he grew up he was terrified as soon as a newpaper was rolled up and then used to behave without actually needing to be even told.is it actually such a bad thing for the dog to be scared of the thing that you use to discipline it.

Well I suppose it depends on whether you want a dog who's trained or one who's frightened :(

my daughter is almost 10 but has never been around a puppy before as my other dogs were grown up before she was born.at the moment she just loves to play with him and just thinks it is all a big game until she gets hurt ;) i will start getting her to put his food down and get her to put him in his cage from now on when he has overstepped the mark.

thanks.

FeeFee said:
jas328sport said:
just wondering why people are actually worried about the dog growing up being scared of a particular thing.i remember when i was younger my parents had a destructive springer spaniel who used to get a good telling off with a rolled up newspaper.as he grew up he was terrified as soon as a newpaper was rolled up and then used to behave without actually needing to be even told.is it actually such a bad thing for the dog to be scared of the thing that you use to discipline it.

Well I suppose it depends on whether you want a dog who's trained or one who's frightened :(

a very good point when put like that :))

I have one of my greyhounds who is very fearfull of things and once it starts it spread and they loese confidence. If you have a confident well trned dog you can take it happly anywere with no worres it make everything more enjoyabell.

get your dauter and yourself to a traning class it will help her learn more about what to do.

jas328sport said:
my daughter is almost 10 but has never been around a puppy before as my other dogs were grown up before she was born.at the moment she just loves to play with him and just thinks it is all a big game until she gets hurt ;) i will start getting her to put his food down and get her to put him in his cage from now on when he has overstepped the mark.thanks.

If you can get your daughter to do more day to day stuff with the pup too as well as joining in with the training.

I know its all new and exciting for a 10 year old to have new pup in the house (I know my daughter was 9 when I got Inca) but she has to learn how to behave round the pup and learn when to stop too because it could take longer to train the pup because of mixed messages...

The whole family should be able to play with and teach the the pup at the same time and enjoy the whole process cos your puppy doesn't stay a puppy for long.

Your puppy is trying to establish his position in your family's pecking order.

You don't say how old his your daughter, but she must be quite young, and your puppy thinks he is more mature that her, therefore he wants to show his dominance (nothing sexual at that age).

You MUST make you daughter realise that these games are not fun, that the consequences could be her in hospital disfigured for life and the dog PTS.

Your puppy will calm down if he is given the chance, but watch the 2 together they are both full of life and fun, but if your daughter does not know when to stop believe me your puppy cannot begin to imagine the consequences of his acts.

My son was 6 when we got our male puppy last year and we had to be very clear and very graphic of what could happen when my son was playing rough with the dog like play on the floor or putting his face to the dog's face.

Both have now calmed down and are the best of friends.

But the dog still gets excited if the children get excited, like when they have a friend around in which case I ask the children to calm down before expecting the dog to calm down.

Good luck it is worth it, a dog has made a wonderful addition to our family.

veronyc said:
therefore he wants to show his dominance (nothing sexual at that age).

if that is the case then why am i seeing a good 2 inches of something that i really dont want to see :- " :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
jas328sport said:

Dogs learn by association Jas. If they get rewarded for good behaviour, then they will repeat that behaviour. The same goes for fear and punishment. They can not rationalise with the same emoitions as us. Your spaniel was scared of the newspaper, and yes it worked. But while it use to be a common form of disicipline, we have learnt so much more about dog behaviour, that hopefully this type of training will be a thing of the past. Personally I would not want anyone dog or human to learn through fear. With a dog I would be concerned as to how they may react when frightened. The only means a dog has to protect itself is flee or fight. As most domestic dogs are cornered in the home when they are disciplined they can not flee, so therefore they bite. And then they get punished again for something that they did not cause.

Also you have a whippet now, not a bouncy springer. Although you are now seeing this lovely happy bouncy little pup who is ready to take on the world, if you take a heavy hand to him, you risk wrecking his lovely sweet nature. Whippets when given gentle love and affection easily grow up into the best natured dogs, sweet and easy to live with.

We got our 2nd whippet, Max from the pound when he was about a year old. Max had been handed in by his previous owner. I choose Max because of his affectionate nature, even at the pound he climbed onto my lap for a cuddle. To his dying day Max was the cuddliest dog we have ever had, he absolutley thrived on the need to be reassured and cuddled. When we got Max, it was very clear that his previous owners had used a heavy hand to disipline him. In his early days with us Max would cringe and dart in and out anytime he felt unsure of what was going on. Max turned out to be a GREAT dog, but he carried emotional scaring from his first home that never left him.... anytime Max felt threatened or unsure of someone, he bit them. Not hard, just a warning nip, and he never bit family or friends.

The first couple of years he nipped at a few people, and we really had to watch him. We never raised a hand to Max, all his training was done with positive reinforcement. Even though he settled and relaxed, outside home he was never as confident as my current two dogs. I thought he had stopped nipping at people years ago, but about a year before he died, I had him down the beach when a very odd man (dirty looking guy with long hair, wearing commando gear) went jogging past us. As he passed us I saw Max take a little lunge at him. See they never forget, and you never know what is going to trigger the response. At the time though I did think Max's instinct was spot on.

Unless you really understand what is going on in their heads and are well versed with dog training techniques, then it is best to stay away from training methods that sound like you are bullying them in to line.

Be gentle with Suki and you will never regret it.

:)

veronyc said:
You MUST  make you daughter realise that these games are not fun, that the consequences could be her in hospital disfigured for life and the dog PTS.Your puppy will calm down if he is given the chance, but watch the 2 together they are both full of life and fun, but if your daughter does not know when to stop believe me your puppy cannot begin to imagine the consequences of his acts.

My son was 6 when we got our male puppy last year and we had to be very clear and very graphic of what could happen when my son was playing rough with the dog like play on the floor or putting his face to the dog's face.

Both have now calmed down and are the best of friends.

But  the dog still gets excited if the children get excited, like when they have a friend around in which case I ask the children to calm down before expecting the dog to calm down.

Very good advice vernyc. I have a friend with whippets and children. They have an unusal rule in their house. If one of the children comes crying because one of the dogs has bitten them, then the child gets the punishment. These people know their dogs, and their children have been taught how to behave around the dogs. Therefore if the dog bit the child, what did the child DO to the dog???

Not for everyone I know, but it works for them.

i hope i havent given out the wrong idea here :) i was merely asking a question.

i have no intentions of being heavy handed as they seem such gentle and delicate dogs.

most of my younger life was spent amongst friends and family with working dogs,lurchers,terriors,spaniels and labradors and all of these were trained with very aggressive and from what i can now remember,very over the top methods.all of these dogs were very well behaved and had absolute respect for their masters although like has been said was probably more through fear than love.i want to make sure that my dog grows up to both love and respect his family(and not through fear)but at the same time knows that we are in charge.he is already starting to come to his name which as it happens has been changed to zuki :- " and is having a lot of fun chasing after and retrieving his teddy that my daughter gave him.

in peoples experience are whippets best trained with whistles or voice commands as i feel it is never too early to start training basic commands if you can ever get the lazy devil to stay awake long enough :))

jas328sport said:
i hope i havent given out the wrong idea here :) i was merely asking a question.i have no intentions of being heavy handed as they seem such gentle and delicate dogs.

most of my younger life was spent amongst friends and family with working dogs,lurchers,terriors,spaniels and labradors and all of these were trained with very aggressive and from what i can now remember,very over the top methods.all of these dogs were very well behaved and had absolute respect for their masters although like has been said was probably more through fear than love.i want to make sure that my dog grows up to both love and respect his family(and not through fear)but at the same time knows that we are in charge.he is already starting to come to his name which as it happens has been changed to zuki :- "  and is having a lot of fun chasing after and retrieving his teddy that my daughter gave him.

in peoples experience are whippets best trained with whistles or voice commands as i feel it is never too early to start training basic commands if you can ever get the lazy devil to stay awake long enough :))

No Jas, I didn't think you would be heavy handed at all :) I just don't like the thought of even a smack on the nose for any dog, as I know how my Max suffered :( . I have seen your Zuki on your other thread, and get the impression that he has gone in to a lovely home with many happy years ahead of him. :)

Back