The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Urgent Advice Please

laurab

Registered
Reaction score
We have just discovered two newly bought but now empty 30 capsule omega 3 fish oil containers on the sitting room floor . Obviously stolen by the thieving whippets- two 9 month olds. They have managed to chew through the plastic containers and I can't find any pills anywhere so I presume they have eaten them. Do I need to ring the vet or just keep an eye on them? Will it harm them other than probably causing diarrhoea? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Laura

I think you are likely to have rather a lot of mess to clean up. I don't think it will do too much harm but it is probably best to give the vet a ring. I'm a biochemist not a vet but my gut instinct is get the poo bags out.

Thanks Dr B. I phoned the vet and she said much the same thing- just keep an eye on them. She phoned the poisons centre because there was a query about the vitamin D levels or something but that was ok in the end. Fingers crossed.

Been down that road, the culprit had the squits :wacko: and was a bit sorry for herself, but was soon back to normal. :thumbsup:

:lol: I shouldn't laugh but these Whippets.....

years ago my whippets and racing greyhound managed to get and eat 1000 calcium tablets . (w00t) I rang my vet in panick and he said not too worry and did I want to re order as I was now out of stock :blink: LOL . all that happened with my lot was that their poo was rather firm and verywhite for a few days . yours I think will be the opposite :thumbsup:

Some of you may remember me coming on in a panic a couple of years ago after Jonah finished off the tub of butter! You could tell he soon started feeling very uncomfortable and an hour later he brought it all back up :x But he was fine after that. A couple of Chrsitmasses ago he also got hold of a miniature bottle of whisky with the accompanying mince pie! No ill effects after that one though! :sweating:

Little monsters :lol:

you will probably find there coats very greasy for a few days as well. Hope they are ok.

They'll be very shiny!!

Hope you don't wake up to too much mess

I remember when Star was about that age, he drank some old vegetable oil :eek: from an old chip pan :x

He had no ill effects apart from the squits :x :x it looked the same coming out as it did going in (w00t) and left some very greasy

patches all over the lawn :b

BTW whereabouts in the New Forest do you live ? as we are right on the edge of it (in Totton) :)

.......mmmmm very loose springs to mind..... :wacko: let us know please how they are...

Hi everyone, thanks for the reassuring replies and all your amusing stories. People had warned me that whippets stole but i assumed they meant food- not anything and everything that isn't locked away, and even then i think my bitch would work out the combination or crack the safe open!!

Anyway, both dogs are absolutely fine- no symptoms at all so far apart from looking super shiny :)) ! Don't know if there is a delayed effect or if they just have stomachs of steel but i'm not complaining- just very pleased it wasn't worse :thumbsup: .

Laura x

Back