The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Undescended Testicle....

Helo Chelynnah; my use of the word "recommendation"was probably not wise. I just wondered what the reaction would be to prohibiting breeding from infected stock as I am sure that at least 80% of breeders have produced litters with dogs with this problem. I have heard rumours indicating that the xyz line is well known for this problem with litters where none of the males had a testicle to share between them. It is extremely worrying and one would think that further investigating is required before the situation deteriorates. I cannot help but think of the misery Irish setter owners and breeders suffered with PRA and the tremendous effort breeders made with "test matings " for carriers and the success they finally achieved. 19% is very high and I wonder if this percetage has increased over the last few years. Happy week-end to all, Stephen

The trouble is that you cannot compare something like cryptorchidism or cleft palates with, for instance, PRA as you cannot identify the offending gene, they are multi-factorial problems.

Considering that there are vets who will bring a testicle down surgically so the dog can be shown, not to mention fix tails, teeth,ears or whatever, surely there must be vet prepared to perform vasectomy?????

But I really would not bother.

I was also thrilled when i found the Chris Zinc article :cheers: , it confirmed some of my concerns and more. She is a very brave woman to come out against the across the board desex drive taught, especially in the US, in the vet schools.

dessie said:
Seraphina said:
The only concrete fact is that it is a very wide spread problem in Whippets everywhere in the world.

It is widespread in any breed of dog and mongrels alike .............. ask any Vet.

Are you sure? I thought it is particularly bad in sighthounds. I certainly never seen cryptorchidism in my Danes, but my last litter was born in 1981 (?), so it is possible things may have changed since, I did stand in a line up behind a 8-7 months old Dane pup and watched in amazement his totally empty sacks. It was a ringcraft class, the instructor did not say anything. I could not bring myself to tell the owner she will not be able to show this dog. :( He was a very nice pup too.

If this is a uniform problem right across all breeds then I would expect there to be strong environmental influence - the processed food or hormones in meat, wormers, flea products?????

Last edited by a moderator:
stephen mason said:
19% is very high and I wonder if this percetage has increased over the last few years. Happy week-end to all, Stephen
That is a very interesting and important question. Does anybody know what it was like 20, 50 or more years ago?????????????????

Thank you Dessie for enlightening me. Just have to leave all to luck and avoid stud dogs producing abnormal pups which is a problem as we are now on the lookout for another stud dog which are few and far between here. Will have a look at France. Stephen

I have been messing around in whippets for 35yrs now and it has always been a problem, howeverat at rincraft last year we had a boxer and a bulldog puppy with the same problem so I dont think it is just whips.

Happy Humber said:
I have been messing around in whippets for 35yrs now and it has always been a problem, howeverat at rincraft last year we had a boxer and a bulldog puppy with the same problem so I dont think it is just whips.
Cocker Spaniels, Border Collies, Smooth Collies ........... the list is endless!!!

dessie said:
Happy Humber said:
Cocker Spaniels, Border Collies, Smooth Collies ........... the list is endless!!!

The question is have these other breeds done any survey? Collies for instance are very popular breed, so if the vets see lot of cryptorchids it does not mean anything. What matters is the percentage of all dogs born. I have a vague recollection I have read somewhere that in the USA almost 1/3 of Whippets have undescended testicle. It seem to vary from country to country, and the racing lines are worst.

Unfortunately my boy has suffered with this problem aswell...and under the vets advice I had him castrated last week.

The vet did check him on a few occasions prior to the op, but waited until he was a year old before operating.

The stitches come out on friday....just keeping my fingers crossed that my boy will be ok!

stephen mason said:
Helo Chelynnah; my use of the word "recommendation"was probably not wise. I just wondered what the reaction would be to prohibiting breeding from infected stock as I am sure that at least 80% of breeders have produced litters with dogs with this problem. I have heard rumours indicating that the xyz line is well known for this problem with litters where none of the males had a testicle to share between them. It is extremely worrying and one would think that further  investigating is required before the situation deteriorates. I cannot help but think of the misery Irish setter owners and breeders suffered with PRA and the tremendous effort breeders made with "test matings " for carriers and the success they  finally achieved. 19% is very high and I wonder if this percetage has increased over the last few years. Happy week-end to all, Stephen
Hi Stephen - I agree that it's worth thinking about. I was saying though that if it was a bitch from a litter where just one dog wasn't entire, then I probably wouldn't worry - that, to me, would indicate more of a fluke. But if it was from a litter or lines where there were known to be 'plenty' of dogs without both, then I'd reconsider.

Yes, Caroline, a single dog has the ability to influence more than a single bitch, but what of the 'entire' dog that the bitch produces which may still be a carrier and then go on to sire plenty of litters.

Not trying to be argumentative, just talking it throuh to the next generation.

I think it's definitely worth more investigation into how the genetic side of this problem is passed on and certainly we do need to breed away from it where we can.

JMHO :clown:

Wendy

Back