The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Travel Sickness

gasdog

Registered
Reaction score
hi, can anybody give advice as regards travel sickness,l have a 8wk old lurcher .l want her to travel around with me. She ok for about 5min,then starts to dibble and is then sick.l do not think it is stress as she seems relaxed .l have tried herbal tablets from the vets ,they do not make any difference.l make sure she hasnt eaten for 2hrs.thanks Ann

i know this happens to alot of puppies all my m8s pups have been travel sick & mine

but thay have all grown out of it now

bit like humans reli lol

Ginger is the stuff!

Give her half ginger biscuit or crystallized ginger half an hour before going in car and she'll be fine in no time. When she can go for a walk you can use little bits of ginger biccies as treats to keep effect topped up for return journey.

Also suggest you might strap her in front passenger seat initially and don't let her lean on your arm as that is sick making. If you just do short trips to somewhere nice to begin with she'll soon stop. Worked a treat with my Zephyr! :))

(do be careful re front passenger seat if it has airbag - mine doesn't)

Last edited by a moderator:
phoebe had car sickness,she grew out of it by 15 months old.

i found there was nothing you could do to avoid it,but never heard of the ginger biscuit one ,wish i had might have saved a lot of upset for her. i would have tried anything to help her.

good luck. :luck:

I have found Stugeron good also the homeopathic Cocculus. You have to try different ones as what works with one dog wont work for another.

first thing is your pup in a cage in the back of ye car,if so try putting her/him on the back seat with someone its worked for my pup just saved putting stuff down its neck

we have same probs... drool, slobber then urgh urgh pah! Sick all over the inside of the car esp in those nice little car door pockets placed just right to catch the dribbles of tripe and stuff. yitch.

we let it dry in the sun and scrap it off later.

dont get many probs with folks wanting lifts tho...hmmm

:x

hoping to grow out of it.

Hi, my Hebe doesn't travel very well, she isn't sick but she pants & is obviously stressed. I've tried all sorts of stuff but what really works is spraying DAP into the travel cage 15 mins before setting off and also she has a 2 Nelsons "Travella" homeopathic tablets 1hr before. She still pants for about 10-15 mins but then settles & goes to sleep where before she could keep the panting & shaking up for 3 hours or more (w00t) Not good!!

Oh, and ginger biscuits work too, but as I'm trying to slim her down a bit not too many :- "

Good luck with your pup, hope she is soon a good traveller. :luck:

I'm sure you can get ginger in a non fattening form? I've recommended it to quite a few folks & the latest made a 4 hour journey to Cornwall without any puking! :) I only gave half a ginger nut before going in car & other half in little bits during walk. After 2 or 3 weeks of short trips they should be permanently cured!

DAP spray & Rescue Remedy should certainly help too altho haven't tried them cos the ginger biccies worked a treat on Zephyr! :)

Firesprite - Try spreading a big towel around hound as it's easier to wash puke off that than chipping it off the car! :x (my car is a tip but no layer of puke! 8) ) Alternatively you could try the ginger too!

Back