The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Toxic Plants

em21

Registered
Reaction score
I have begun "puppy proofing" my garden for my new arrival at the end of the month :wub: I have been reading about plants that are toxic to dogs and suddenly realised that I have no idea what any of the plants in my garden actually are??!! They were there when we moved to the property and as i'm not much of a gardener I have just left it as it is

So i'm going to post picture of my plants, if any of you can figure out what they are could you let me know then I can look up whether or not they will be toxic for my baby. Thanks so much in advance :)

Image021.jpg

Image022.jpg

Image020.jpg

Image019.jpg

Image018.jpg

Image016.jpg

That's if you can see the plants for the weeds! :- "

The first and fourth plants look like hebes to me... :thumbsup:

and I think if you look in the fAQ section on here there is a toxic plant section Im sure. :thumbsup:

the last picture looks like clematis... and the picture above that...I have the same plant but cant think of its name right now.. :blink: :b

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, sorry to hi-jack your thread...

But I am also trying to find which plants are toxic.

I can't seem to find the link on here, could anyone please post a link to the info?

We just did up our garden and planted some nice stuff, I am rubbish with plants so they will probably die anyway but don't want anything there that could hurt the puppy.

By the way your plants are lovely, but not sure what they are!!

:lol:

doggy182 said:
Hi, sorry to hi-jack your thread...But I am also trying to find which plants are toxic.

I can't seem to find the link on here, could anyone please post a link to the info?

We just did up our garden and planted some nice stuff, I am rubbish with plants so they will probably die anyway but don't want anything there that could hurt the puppy.

By the way your plants are lovely, but not sure what they are!!

:lol:

Thankyou. they are totally neglected :oops:

http://www.k9community.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=1658

heres the link to the thread hun, hope it works

Emma xxx

Thanks for that.

Its a very long list...

Sure we have one or two of those in the garden, but not sure what some of them are! :oops:

Will have to have eyes in the back of my head I think, oh and lightening speed

Sigh :blink:

jinnyfizz said:
But don't worry too much about it - animals have a way of knowing what's not good for them :thumbsup:
Looked through the list, still not sure, but your above comment has made me feel a bit better. They just eat all sorts of poo instead!!

Have you started to puppy proof your house yet emma?

I think we need to move, erm, absolutely everything!!

doggy182 said:
jinnyfizz said:
But don't worry too much about it - animals have a way of knowing what's not good for them :thumbsup:

Looked through the list, still not sure, but your above comment has made me feel a bit better. They just eat all sorts of poo instead!!

Have you started to puppy proof your house yet emma?

I think we need to move, erm, absolutely everything!!

Oh yes lol, theres puppy gates and all sorts lol!!, Beds, crates the house looks totally different!! Hows your puppy pfoofing coming along?

Emma xxx

Well.....

We have a new carpet in our living room so I went to ikea and bought this huge rug with rubber backing so hopefully will protect the carpet!

Borrowing a crate off my mum so wont have that til the week before. Got food bowls, think kitchen is puppy safe already.

Just slowly starting to move everything upwards!!

Dont think the puppy could get up the stairs as they are so steep but can shut a door so she can't get to them

There is so much to think about!!

Carla x

They all look okay - I think the second one is a rhododendron :unsure:

Remember to keep and eye on puppy and cables (tv etc). Pot pourri (sp) is dangerous and tassles on anything are out until he's at least five years old :lol:

Good luck :thumbsup: Hve fun :teehee:

zilloot said:
They all look okay - I think the second one is a rhododendron :unsure:
Remember to keep and eye on puppy and cables (tv etc).  Pot pourri (sp) is dangerous and tassles on anything are out until he's at least five years old  :lol:

Good luck :thumbsup:   Hve fun :teehee:

I though the second one was rhodedendren. If it is it is piosnous a pup I bred died after eating the buds of one

I think that second one is definitely a rhodedendron and the Dogs Trust site said it is fatal. We had a beautiful red one but we dug it up when we read that :eek:

Talking of dog proofing your house. Our kitchen bin is now on top of the cd cabinet and when we put meals out all the plates have to be in the centre of the table so Pax doesn't leap up and randomly grab stuff. :rant: My son's nickname for him is The Great White as he circles round eveything looking for opportunities.

Linbin said:
I think that second one is definitely a rhodedendron and the Dogs Trust site said it is fatal. We had a beautiful red one but we dug it up when we read that  :eek:
Talking of dog proofing your house. Our kitchen bin is now on top of the cd cabinet and when we put meals out all the plates have to be in the centre of the table so Pax doesn't leap up and randomly grab stuff.  :rant:   My son's nickname for him is The Great White as he circles round eveything looking for opportunities.

Oh my goodness, well it will have to go!

Haha bless him, maybe you should try feeding him... then he might not steal your food! :lol: (just kiding (w00t) )

Thanks for your advice :D

Emma xxx

em21 said:
I have begun "puppy proofing" my garden for my new arrival at the end of the month :wub:   I have been reading about plants that are toxic to dogs and suddenly realised that I have no idea what any of the plants in my garden actually are??!! They were there when we moved to the property and as i'm not much of a gardener I have just left it as it is
So i'm going to post picture of my plants, if any of you can figure out what they are could you let me know then I can look up whether or not they will be toxic for my baby. Thanks so much in advance :)

Image021.jpg

Image022.jpg

Image020.jpg

Image019.jpg

Image018.jpg

Image016.jpg

the plants are;hebe rhododendron, crocosmea, euonamus, spirea and clematis

Hiya I am a plant manager and get asked a lot, The worst things are

Aconitum

Rhododendron

Yew

Foxgloves

ALL BULBS ARE TOXIC these are the things pups tend to dig up and eat DAFFODIL BULBS can be fatal

Having said this i have all these in my garden and none of mine have eaten any, they seem to know comfrey is good to eat and graze on that

:luck: :luck: with your pup

Thanks for all your replies :thumbsup: It has saved me trailing round garden centers trying to find out what plants i've got!

Emma xxx

Back