The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Total hip replacement or fho surgery in cocker spaniel

ANNIEOYSTER

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there,

would be really grateful for anyones experience with the above topic as I am in a dilemma as to which surgery to have for my dog who was in a RTA in January and the toggle op procedure he had then hasn't worked. He is a really lively little cocker (working type) so loads of energy. It breaks my hear seeing him limping around and want whats best for him . All the vets do is advise me I have 2 options . He's covered by insurance so its not about the money I just want whats best for him.

I've not had a dog who's had this op- but I have had cockers. I know it's a tough decision but if the advice from the vet was positive I'd go for the Total Hip Replacement. Cockers are bundles of fun and have to exercise. From what I've heard the op should produce a pain-free cocker for life. So that's what I'd do. It is a big op but once over will give a good quality of life. They aren't meant to be in pain even if it's managed. Just to add (as with my FIL!) please enquire about our surgeon- how many of these has he done what were the outcomes...? You want someone really skilled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back