The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Toilet Training

rebecca_reddish

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Rosie has recently had her 11th birthday, and is doing well. We're seriously considering getting a new addition, from her breeder, so they'll be related! :)

We have not had a puppy before, and although i have read and read various books on "how to training" a pup, we could use any tips from experienced whippet-puppy owner.

Thanks

Rebecca

rebecca_reddish said:
Hi,
Rosie has recently had her 11th birthday, and is doing well. We're seriously considering getting a new addition, from her breeder, so they'll be related!  :)

We have not had a puppy before, and although i have read and read various books on "how to training" a pup, we could use any tips from experienced whippet-puppy owner.

Thanks

Rebecca

If you find out let me know :blink:

We found putting Tilly in a cage helped and i have had advice to let her out every 1/2 hour....we let her have free range of garden and so she didnt learn......she ok now though

rebecca_reddish said:
Hi,
Rosie has recently had her 11th birthday, and is doing well. We're seriously considering getting a new addition, from her breeder, so they'll be related!  :)

Thanks

Rebecca

We too always use a crate at night, during the day especially in the good weather if you leave the door open to the garden they are incredibly smart little dogs :p & catch on real quick to going out,make loads of fuss of them when they've gone outside :thumbsup: & I would say you should'nt have too much hassel house breaking :D

Our last 2 pups are still only babies not yet 4 months old :wub: & are able to go all night in their crate without looking out :) their Mum was the same maybe we've just been blessed with good pups o:)

But I think Whippets are incredibly clean &very quick to learn what is expected of them :p

I'm sure you'll have no problems :D

Good luck :luck:

You only really need two things - time and patience 8)

Take the pup out after play/food/sleep and if there's more than an hour since the last trip outside I'd take another. Praise, praise, praise when they do their business outside. Don't say anything - just scoop the pup up and carry outside if doing it inside.. :oops:

Repeat :wacko:

It's tiring but you get rewards for the rest of the dogs life! I used a crate when the pup was left alone, as they're less likely to soil "their home". But don't base your training regime on a crate alone - it's just a supplement for when you're not there. :)

Cheers everyone for your advice.

We are meeting Aflie this weekend...he's 4 weeks old :)

will take lots of photos.

rebecca_reddish said:
Cheers everyone for your advice.
We are meeting Aflie this weekend...he's 4 weeks old    :)

will take lots of photos.

How exciting.........Good luck :luck:

I agree all you really need is - time and patience

Good luck :luck: with your new pup and enjoy as they are not pups for long!!! :huggles:

When you pup wakes up,,take him outside,,stay with him,,when he does the toilet,,loads of praise,,back in for a play,,,outside again in an hour,,he does the toilet,,praise again. When he wakes up,,outside again, after being fed,, outside again,,he will soon get the idea. The cage is great at night.

My Tam was fully house trained at 8 1/2 weeks and I mean fully day and night. I have had had a few who were little gits,,but by the age of 16 weeks they soon had the idea :thumbsup:

All the best with you little one :cheers:

When you pup wakes up,,take him outside,,stay with him,,when he does the toilet,,loads of praise,,back in for a play,,,outside again in an hour,,he does the toilet,,praise again. When he wakes up,,outside again, after being fed,, outside again,,he will soon get the idea. The cage is great at night.

My Tam was fully house trained at 8 1/2 weeks and I mean fully day and night. I have had had a few who were little gits,,but by the age of 16 weeks they soon had the idea :thumbsup:

All the best with you little one :cheers:

Back