The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

To Supplement Or Not To Supplement?

~whitecross whippets~

Registered
Reaction score
does anyone feed their dogs barf?...if so what supplements do you think are the best?

p. one is 6mths and one is 6ys if that makes a difference :teehee:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hiya,

We do - well we use the stuff from anglian meat products that's already minced and bagged so it's also got veg etc in there. I dont feed any supplements to my lot - other than stuff to 2 of them for their arthritis from Dorwest Herbs - Jo should be able to help you with advice on any problem like that.

I feed barf Kaz my butcher at the farm shop does it for me and I get it minced then bag it into days so to speak I add rice/pasta and some veggies, I don't put any supplements in, no reason that I don't really, other than they are well on what they get so I don't bother but I'm not sure if I should be doing :unsure:

I feed Kane differently in the amount of meals he gets but he gets the same as them for tea, but also get breakfast and dinner cos he's a growing boy :wub:

ok...so do you not think i need vitamins or calcium or anything like that...even for the pup?..i feed the anglican usually and it does have ground bone in it but i dont feed whole bones...its just i had read a few people on hear seem to add sa37 etc...and i was worried i didnt...barf is quite new to me and i dont want to damage them especially the pup as she is growing

I feed a combination of a pre-made meat/organ/bone/veggie mix (a.k.a. blender-beast) and raw meaty bones. Even the 10-week puppy will go after a chicken wing!

I supplement a little, but do it randomly. I think the secret to raw-feeding is variety over time. On some level, this involves different protein sources (different animals, different manufacturers). But I think that a little bit of a general supplement like SeaMeal or Missing Link never hurts. I'm in the US, but there are similar products everywhere! The whipps also get brewers yeast tabs as treats, plus fish or salmon oil sometimes. Oh, and sometimes they get a little Barley Dog or Prozyme. I buy one kind, use it up over time, and then get something else next time!

There is no one "right" way to feed raw... Do what you're comfortable with, watch your dog's response, and alter as needed! If you're worried about calcium you should read up on Ca++ and phosphorus needs while growing, then compare that to what you're feeding.

Good luck!

Rachel, Fizgig, and puppy Zuul

Dogs should be able to get all the vitamins and minerals from their food. To over feed minerals to dogs can do lot of harm.

~whitecross whippets~ said:
does anyone feed their dogs barf?...if so what supplements do you think are the best?thanks :thumbsup:

I'm not picking my first Whippet up for another couple of weeks yet but have been feeding my other dogs BARF for nearly two years now, I also use the AMP pre packed meats BUT as far as I'm aware these don't have enough 'raw meaty bone' content on their own.

Dr. Billingshurst BARF world recomends 60% of the daily ration should be 'raw mwaty bones', therefore I feed 60% of the daily ration chicken wings (which I mince myself after a bad experience with a very sharp bone fragment) the other 40% is one of the AMP freeflow minces or fish.

The only things I add are cod liver oil, evening primrose oil or cranberrys and a small amount of veg (not every day)

Cheers,

Pete

Gunscrossed said:
does anyone feed their dogs barf?...if so what supplements do you think are the best?thanks :thumbsup:

I'm not picking my first Whippet up for another couple of weeks yet but have been feeding my other dogs BARF for nearly two years now, I also use the AMP pre packed meats BUT as far as I'm aware these don't have enough 'raw meaty bone' content on their own.

Dr. Billingshurst BARF world recomends 60% of the daily ration should be 'raw mwaty bones', therefore I feed 60% of the daily ration chicken wings (which I mince myself after a bad experience with a very sharp bone fragment) the other 40% is one of the AMP freeflow minces or fish.

The only things I add are cod liver oil, evening primrose oil or cranberrys and a small amount of veg (not every day)

Cheers,

Pete

yes i worry about whole bone too....thanks for the link thats very interesting :thumbsup:

Gunscrossed said:

Cheers,

Pete

yes i worry about whole bone too....thanks for the link thats very interesting :thumbsup:

Electric mincer from Argos - Price £60.

Going to bed without having to worry if you dog chewed it's raw bones enough - Priceless.

:)

PS that should read Meaty bones in case someone runs to the butcher asking for a Mwaty bone (w00t)

Zeb will not eat dry food, so he is on tinned.

He gets a spoon of cod liver aday or a small tin of oily fish like

sardines,mackeral or pilchards. He also get veg and a small bit of roast on a sunday with gravy.

The vet told me that there was no real need to give him anything else, as he is a fit and healthy dog with a good diet.

Oh yes he also gets meaty bones once aweek. As he only eats meat.

Back