The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Tips Please

tony b

Registered
Reaction score
cant seem to prize bailey from our bed at night,tried putting him next to bed in crate but screams house down.not a big problem but every time he stretches i get a paw in the face,any tips

View attachment 25645

Firstly he is absolutley gorgeous :wub: :wub: unfortunatley the only thing I have found to work is patience, it's hard but you need to let him scream for a bit because he needs to know that the crate is his bed or he will be in your bed forever which when he gets bigger you'll have all four paws stuck in you with very little space for yourself.

Nice soft bedding with a cuddly toy and perseverance (easier said than done) but worth it in the end, what I usually do also when they are small is warm a blanket on the radiator or in front of the fire for a bit then put that in the bed then them so it's cosy.

Hope things work out for you, :luck: and if all else fails you could always get him a whippy friend to sleep with :thumbsup:

Tilly was our first whippet and my Oh would not allow her on the bed so we had about 3 nights of crying when we put her in her cage at night. (It was downstairs in the lounge)

Each night at 10, we would let her out side for a wee and then tell her to get in her bed (Cage) and tell her good night, after about 3 nights she was fine. We would go in to the lounge in the morning and say good girl and take her out for a wee..

Bean was crated next to tilly and was lovely on the first night, she however screamed so loud on the second night that i ended up crating her with tilly, and she has been quiet ever since.......

So either shut your ears and try and put up with it, it doesnt last for long OR get a whippet friend

yeah ,, move up at bit and give that gorgeous puppy more room (w00t) :thumbsup: (w00t) :wub:

Try giving him his meals in his crate, then he associates it with nice things too and not just being shut away. Have patience, he will cry at first, but don't give in to him! :luck:

saraquele said:
yeah ,, move up at bit and give that gorgeous puppy more room  (w00t)   :thumbsup:   (w00t)   :wub:

Yep, I couldnt push that little cutie out of bed!! :lol: he's far to gorgeous!!

Tonyb... it will get easier. Some are noisier than others. Oscar was good as gold when he came and Kobi - well he screamed a bit even though Oscar was in the same room. Have you tried a ticking clock, or low music too and of course something that smells of you.

It dosnt last very long . and when you look back - all worth it. :thumbsup:

Bailey is lovely - how can you resist that face. :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
He looks very young - just be patient :huggles: He just needs to learn to trust you and feel secure.

If you want him by your bed instead of IN your bed, then put him there tonight and make him really cosy in a small crate, perhaps with a few biscuits, while you spend a long time pootling about in the bedroom getting ready for bed, talking to him in a low soothing voice. He probably just needs to know and be reassured that you are close. Next step, lie in bed with the light on and a hand hanging down to him, still talking away about nonsense things until he realises you're not going anywhere. When he's quiet, turn the lights out, but still have your hand down for him to sniff and lick.

Every time he stirs just remind him in your gentle voice that you're still there. :thumbsup:

You can't possibly shove him out of bed (w00t) ,just move him further down then you won't get a paw in your face :D :thumbsup:

He's gorgeous :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
He is just lovely....I just make sure my 3 are right down the end under the covers & no problems :) :) the problem is when they have a big stretch !!

I did however crate my first one for a while...and he was as good as gold if you put your down to the cage as was suggested before, then the crying stopped. Good luck

:wub: he is sooo cute, yes I would imagine it to be hard to leave that little face to cry. Putting a t-shirt with your smell on it warmed on the radiator should make him a cozy cover .

Have to say we were exteremely lucky and never had 1 night of crying, but at 9 months now she does whimper when we're upstairs getting showered and dressed without her in the morning.......unless she's got something she shouldn't like an oj bottle or tea towel etc :- "

:( Poor wee puppy being put in the nasty cage :(

:D In the big bed for him :D

He is beautiful :thumbsup: .

I cant give any good tips as my pup Gizmo is in bed with us :- " :- " :- " , he screams the place down in his cage :( . He is now more in the middle of the bed and not on our head's :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Back