The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

The Odd Things People Say

HopeRosie

Registered
Reaction score
We took Evie to Delamere Forest for the first time yesterday - its the first time Ive taken her somewhere like that and it was full of people. Im used to having a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel so Im not really used to people commenting on my dog. Some of the things people said to me were really wierd and completely :wacko: I didnt know whether to laugh or get cross.

We had:

Oooh isnt she skinny, is she a rescue - Nope shes a whippet and shes just fine thankyou.

Why hasnt she got a muzzle on - arent whippets dangerous?

Is she a labrador puppy?

Has she got something wrong with her neck shes got a funny collar on? (normal whippet collar)

Favourite one - shes got a face like a rat! WHAT!!!!!!

Okay then - what have you been asked?

HopeRosie said:
We took Evie to Delamere Forest for the first time yesterday - its the first time Ive taken her somewhere like that and it was full of people.  Im used to having a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel so Im not really used to people commenting on my dog.  Some of the things people said to me were really wierd and completely  :wacko:   I didnt know whether to laugh or get cross. 
We had:

Oooh isnt she skinny, is she a rescue - Nope shes a whippet and shes just fine thankyou.

Is she a labrador puppy?

Has she got something wrong with her neck shes got a funny collar on? (normal whippet collar)

Favourite one - shes got a face like a rat!  WHAT!!!!!!

cheeky beggars, no one stops to talk to me, :( cos im a wierd looking sort of chap, bit like marty feldman :lol:

midlanderkeith said:
HopeRosie said:
We took Evie to Delamere Forest for the first time yesterday - its the first time Ive taken her somewhere like that and it was full of people.  Im used to having a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel so Im not really used to people commenting on my dog.  Some of the things people said to me were really wierd and completely  :wacko:   I didnt know whether to laugh or get cross. 
We had:

Is she a labrador puppy?

cheeky beggars, no one stops to talk to me, :( cos im a wierd looking sort of chap, bit like marty feldman :lol:

and hes dead

My friend used to have a silver standard poodle & someone asked was my Rafferty "that ones baby?"

Well, as "that one" was a male & my Rafferty is a Bedlington.... that'll be NO then (w00t)

HopeRosie said:
We had:

Is she a labrador puppy?

Face like a rat!!!!!!!!!!!!!shock horror :eek: bloody cheek :eek: there is no whippet on earth that looks like a rat :( its ignorance :thumbsup:

"he looks like a kangaroo" (which I must admit he does a little when he's lying down with his paws up - hence the name Skippy). People often mistake him for a greyhound too - even though he's small for a whippet!

Rosie

I've never had so many people pay attention to a dog as i have since

i've had Sada...........everyone seems to notice her.

But no-one knows what she is............im asked all the time is that a little

greyhound or an italian...............i would have thought a whippet would

have been more known than an italian
Dunno.gif

i think it gets worst when you have an italian greyhound..

..oh-a little deer!

... oh-look - a baby goat!

:p

Murphy has also been called a kangaroo, and because of his sticky up ears people keep asking if he is a pharoah hound. :angry: No he is a whippet, and he is not underweight, underfed - as if! He steals anything edible he can find.

But on the plus side, I walk him with a gentleman who owns a lab who paid me the best compliment ever - you know that little scrap has turned out alright.

ive been asked alot............is it a baby greyhound???????????

do they take a lot of feeding (w00t)

bet they can move carnt they :wacko:

what would you do if they saw a rabbit :wacko: :blink:

yesterday i got.........my mates got a whippet ,fastest whippet there ever was :lol:

and the one question that makes me cringe is.......youve got your hands full havent you :rant: so annoys me.

Yeah Trish I hate that too,especially when I am out with kids and the dogs,I always get " ooh you got your hands full". I also get" what are they" and from little kids its "look at those skinny dogs" ! Oh well at least people notice them :D

This thread really made me laugh as it is so familiar...

Look at that baby greyhound / Italian greyhound

Look at that skinny dog / why is your dog so skinny? / does it have to be fed a special diet to keep it skinny?

That's a greyhound and when it grows up it will race

That's a racing dog

Is it a rescue (no, what's wrong with having had a dog from a puppy?!!)

I admit that lots of dog owners seem to give us a wide berth on the field when they see the girls running around. When we leave, I look back and all the dogs from the area seem to have converged and are happily playing! I think of it as a 'people barrometer' and if they want their dog to play with mine then they must be OK.

The best comments seem to come from people who have not seen a whippet for years or used to be owners themselves, and they are always delighted to just watch them charge round. Also, Staffie owners seem to appreciate a dog that can give their little bulldozers a run for their money.

Makes for an interesting life anyway!

Alison x

yes i have had some very bizarre comments like oh we used to have a doberman !! :blink: (yes really?) to oh i love labradors ,italian greyhounds , greyhounds to my gran used to have one of those what is it ? to the more usual why is your dog so skinny how daft are some people im thinking of making m dog a whippet t-shirt that says im a whippet and im not skinny just normal :lol:

sarahloveland said:
Yeah Trish I hate that too,especially when I am out with kids and the dogs,I always get " ooh you got your hands full". I also get" what are they" and from little kids its "look at those skinny dogs" ! Oh well at least people notice them :D

just remember they also ask if mollys the mummy of them all (w00t) :lol:

:wacko:When I had my other two whippets a few years ago,I was walking them and somebody shouted out "look at those rats on a string" !!!!

Needless to say I shouted back a :x :x comment!!

I had a very funny,but also scary encounter with a women when Grace was a year old.This Lady shouted at me that my dog was emaciated and I should not be aloud a dog in that condition.When asked why she thought My whippet was so emaciated she replied.Thats not a whippet its a labrador. (w00t) She yelled and squeeled and was on her way home to report me to the RSPCA :teehee: Now I know grace is the colour of a lab but the women was insane. :blink: She must have realised her mistake as no one turned up to see my emaciated labrador :thumbsup:

Most people we meet usually say "Is it a baby greyhound" :- "

Or "I bet SHE'S fast" Eric has plums! or "my grandad/dad used to have whippets"

or "what a lovely colour" :)

But most people smile and love him ha ha ha,I have noticed how protective non doggy people are when they see a dog,They look at Eric as though he may jump up and rip there throat out! For Christs sake! :rant: and god forbid get any mud on them.....

on our walk saturday this women came up to me & spirit & said "what is it ?" "is it a miniature whippet" so" i said no he is a whippet puppy" :- " we have also had is he a baby greyhound (w00t)

I get 'oh you've got your hands full' almost every day.

Once got, when I only had Tess 'look at that bat-eared monkey dog' (that one stuck).

Lots about them being skinny.

Also have great fun telling people they are all lurchers appart from Esme, and very few people believe me.

Back