The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Thanks

weedug

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just writing to say thanks to everyone for maintaining such an enjoyable and informative site.

I've spent the last few months researching prior to getting our first whippet. We're pleased to have found a wee cracker and it's been great fun so far.

Still getting used to playtime being 6am though :D

buddy.jpg

Welcome to k9 and congratulations on getting your pup, he/she looks beautiful :wub: :wub:

Julie

Wow!!

What a gorgeous little thing. How old? What have you called him (he is a him, isn't he?) What breeding?

Lovely :wub: :wub: :wub:

Hi,

Thanks for the comments.

Buddy is his name and he is now eight and a half weeks old.

He is KC registered whippet bred from Ardencote Black Diamond x Michlea Magpie if that means anything to you.

We weren't fussed about whether he was a pedigree or not, we just wanted a whippet and thought this was the best time of year to buy one when we have lots of time off work to let him settle in.

He has been great fun so far, and couldn't have asked for a nicer lad.

The only thing I now need to find out is if it's possible to race a pedigree whippet at the local Non Pedigree club - not interested in competing, it's only for his own enjoyment. (Apologies if it's a daft question but i'm totally new to this!)

Here's another picture of him doing what he does best :)

Cheers,

Richard

Buddy_Couch_1.jpg

I cannot speak for all non ped clubs but at Blidworth we allow any dog to train and race, we already have two peds on a regular basis training and trialing. I think you will find that most non ped clubs would certainly help you with your training and trialing of your puppy, nip down and see them, they wont bite your head off.

where are you from?

most clubs probably wouldnt mind you training your dog, it depends on the individual clubs

What a little sweetie! :wub: :wub: :wub: He looks such a little baby - hope you have lots of fun with him and welcome to K9! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hi Phil,

I'm from East Ayrshire so i'll bring the pup up to the race nights once he has been fully innoculated, is a couple of months older, and he is more comfortable on a lead.

He's already getting to the point where he can outrun me so this weekend will be spent 'whippet proofing' (Which I thought I had done already) the garden before he gets a bit braver/more inquisitive and starts to wander.

Cheers,

Richard

What a gorgeous little chap :wub:

weedug said:
He's already getting to the point where he can outrun me
We can all remember that very brief period when we could run faster than our puppies. It doesn't last long :"> :sweating:

Thats why the last couple of weeks have been spen't trying to convince him to come 'here'.

This used to work but he's getting quite smart to it. Fortunately, he likes dog biscuits and is open to bribery.......for the moment. :D

weedug said:
Fortunately, he likes dog biscuits and is open to bribery.......for the moment.    :D
I can recommend "HiLife" as an effective bribe - these are tiny cubes or mince-like extrusions of very smelly (but obviously tasty) stuff which Shadow absolutely cannot resist. I still use them from time to time to encourage his recall - keeps him sharp. (He's 8, by the way)

Good luck with your little one. Enjoy every moment. Their lives are all too short.

Shadow.jpg

"Did someone call?"

Last edited by a moderator:
hi richard... :) the name weedug i knew you were scottish ,we race at cumnock every wedensday night as a club you are welcome to come along anytime, we wont be racing at cumnock again until sunday 6 aug, in which we are having an open meeting which starts about 12 if you want come along you are welcome, it will give you chance to see what goes on.

SallyC said:
weedug said:
Fortunately, he likes dog biscuits and is open to bribery.......for the moment.    :D
I can recommend "HiLife" as an effective bribe - these are tiny cubes or mince-like extrusions of very smelly (but obviously tasty) stuff which Shadow absolutely cannot resist. I still use them from time to time to encourage his recall - keeps him sharp. (He's 8, by the way)

Good luck with your little one. Enjoy every moment. Their lives are all too short.

View attachment 18171

"Did someone call?"

(w00t) OMG! That picture gave me shock - then I remembered that we'd said before how spookily alike Josie and Shadow are :blink:

It's uncanny. I'm going to see if I can snap her in that pose and post it.

edited to say - sorry to suddenly hijack your thread, weedug :b

Welcome to K9 and what a :wub: :wub: Gorgeous :wub: :wub: Puppy you have there. :cheers:

~Helen~ said:
(w00t) OMG! That picture gave me shock - then I remembered that we'd said before how spookily alike Josie and Shadow are :blink:

It's uncanny. I'm going to see if I can snap her in that pose and post it.

edited to say - sorry to suddenly hijack your thread, weedug :b

Ditto, Weedug

Helen - and your new pup looks almost identical to our first whippet Gem!

:alien: Really spooky!

:wub: Buddy, what a lovely name and little fella, he's so cute looks like an o:)

Shadow and Buddy will look like a smart pair when they go out together, (have I missed a bit, is Shadow related to Josie ? they're like twins :wub:

Thanks for the tip on 'recall'ing the fleeing dog. I'll have a look for 'hilife' next time i'm in the petshop. Biscuits are probably not a good idea for his long term health anyway :)

Really looking forward to the next few weeks when he's fully innoculated and I can take him into an open field to give him more freedom than the garden allows.

Back