The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Terrier Racing

Evie

Registered
Reaction score
Hiya,

I've never heard of terrier racing before joining this website. I'm interested to learn a little more about it. (At the moment all I know is that it involves terriers running fast, lol. :blink: )

I know nothing about dog racing, so need it explained s l o w l y to me please. Any informative links would be great as well.

:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
ive had terriers all my life and until last year i hadnt heard of it either. i think i am safe in saying that yes they will run very fast and as soon as they cross the line they will all lay on the winner (w00t) cos we all know terriers like nothing more than a good run followed by a good scrap (w00t) (w00t)

pmsl!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: so true! ;)

em,youll have to come the gin pit and watch the terrier racing/scraps there! :lol:

I think my favourite pik of the terrier racing last year was this one where everyone was in fits of laughter as chaos ensued. :lol:

22.jpg

Link to more piks http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h198/whippydoo/

see the album titled Gin Pit lurcher and terrier show 2006. :thumbsup:

my lot love racing ,but i dont think theres any clubs for it but most terrier and lurcher shows do it ,like you say its handy to have a bucket of water ready to split them up at the end
terrierracing48.jpg

i would love to do that in the summer kris, what nights do u race? the gin pit is near manchester isnt it?

yes its in leigh.i dunno if they do terrier racing all year or if its just at the shows.hang on ill get jac. :thumbsup:

Hi Em,

We're starting up whippet racing in first week of April I think. We don't have terriers racing regularly there but we do have a racing class at the lurcher and terrier show held in July. Most don't really bother with training as terriers will chase anything that moves! It's only over 50 / 75 yards??

Your welcome to come and see if yours will chase beforehand though but you might want to wait for the summer evenings then you can enjoy a drink in club later on. :cheers:

can i bring razzle for some training? :- "

Evie said:
Hiya,
I've never heard of terrier racing before joining this website.  I'm interested to learn a little more about it.  (At the moment all I know is that it involves terriers running fast, lol.  :blink: )

I know nothing about dog racing, so need it explained s l o w l y to me please.  Any informative links would be great as well.

:thumbsup:

Hi i remember comming across a terrier club last year whilst looking for a dog show but cant remember what it is called :wacko: but i think they just go around the country fairs and race on certain weekends. i will see if i can find there website again. The north norfolk harriers sometimes do terrier racing and terrier shows too my scully took part last summer and loved it.

The worrying thing is she'd think it was fun if you did! :blink:

Oh also you might want to order a copy of countryman's weekly from your newsagent, they have adverts of events throughout the year across the country and they usually state if there's terrier classes on.

It sounds like good craic, I'd love to give Archie a go at it.

Anyone know where in Norhtern Ireland would do it, or where I could find out? :- "

Been thinking about it as well Evie-

(boyfriends terrier came as package deal with him :blink:

sometimes think half a dozen kids would have been easier on the nerves :rant: )

Couple of the terrier and lurcher shows have some racing up here so I'm going to give Jess a go at it.

Did'nt manage to find out much about it myself at all so I suppose must just take her along on the day.

:cheers:

Sheena

Sounds like fun, do let us know how you and Jess get on! :))

thats great jac and kris. i think we will leave dana at home though as she is nearly 10 now and she has a heart murmer i dont really want her going hell for leather anymore....plus she would be far more interested in fighting with everything (w00t) like u say we r gonna leave it till the weather picks up, dont much fancy freezing my :- " off

Evie said:
It sounds like good craic, I'd love to give Archie a go at it.Anyone know where in Norhtern Ireland would do it, or where I could find out?  :- "

I think some of the game fairs might have terrier racing; they definitely have lurcher racing. Look into Moira end of May (bank holiday weekend) and Randalstown mid-June and look up the relevant discussions in the lurcher section. My dogs (sighthounds, not terriers) love racing but we have to travel so far as there are no racing clubs near us.

Back