The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Tail Docking.

sallie w

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wonderinf if anyone in Devon knows of a vet that still does tail docking. Im undecided about having my patterdales docked i rather like the tails, but for working most people want them docked. Anyone any thoughts please?

I wont have a litter until next year i dont suppose so im giving myself plenty of thinking time.

Not 100% sure of this , but i think you have to prove they are from working stock and they they will all be put into working homes .

Docking made illegal since April 1st 2006 ( if my memeory serves me right )

please do think of the terrier pups and get them docked.all you need as proof is a shotgun license or a letter froma farmer OR keeper saying you work the terriers..

IF you have any problems,please PM me. ;)

Are your dogs proven workers from which working folk are likely to want to buy pups? Getting them docked officially by a vet involves microchipping as well, which all adds to the red tape and cost. Think about how much people who work their terriers are likely to want to pay for pups, especially if they are not bred from known working stock. Good luck with whatever you decide.

thanks for all your replys, I wont have any pups that will need docking until next year so im just looking at my options and for a vet that would do it. I do like to leave tails on but when they are bred to do a job needs must. My horse vet that is a hunting fellow doesnt do it and hasnt done it for 20 years as he believes it to be cruel. Non of the vets i know and our dog vet wont do it. Its a dilema as i want my patterdales to go to working homes only, otherwise there would be no point in breeding them as i see it which means correct me if im wrong 99% of people would want them docked for working. The cost is of no consequence the important matter is getting what is right for the pups. The parents would be from proven working stock no problem there.

thanks for all your replys, I wont have any pups that will need docking until next year so im just looking at my options and for a vet that would do it. I do like to leave tails on but when they are bred to do a job needs must. My horse vet that is a hunting fellow doesnt do it and hasnt done it for 20 years as he believes it to be cruel. Non of the vets i know and our dog vet wont do it. Its a dilema as i want my patterdales to go to working homes only, otherwise there would be no point in breeding them as i see it which means correct me if im wrong 99% of people would want them docked for working. The cost is of no consequence the important matter is getting what is right for the pups. The parents would be from proven working stock no problem there.
May i ask what reason you have for breeding??

May i ask what reason you have for breeding??
from 26 june - I bought a rough coated patterdale Milly who is 12 weeks old breeding is patterdale but not fully known and Molly who is a full blooded Brian Nuttall pup chocolate bloodlines Copper, diesel, Nipper. Toady, Miner, etc etc. she is just 9 weeks old so a bit of lie as we havent started breeding the full patterdales yet needed to edit the post above but it wouldnt let me. but have got together my foundation stock. These little beautys you wouldnt want to sell to family homes they need to work.

they are a little young to be proven workers yet and if you have pups next year they will be only just be adults

have you permission and the knowledge to train them up

considering how many for sale in the countrymans and on working forums what will make your pups more desirable to the working fraternity

The dog that i will be breeding from is 2 years old and arrives at the end of August. I use my dogs for rabbits and ratting as a pest control around my fields and stables. I feel like i came on here for a little advise and am getting a deep interigation as to my intentions and my knowledge. I breed because i have a market for what i breed and strive for perfection of type be it my horses or my dogs. I would not breed for the sake of. I am not that sort of person.

just putting one of my bitches in pup.a black bitch,5yr old,worked to fox week in week out all year round and this will be her first litter.she is going to a black dog,same way bred but a different generation,the dog is 8yr old,also worked to ground all year round.

i am hoping to have 2 back,the owner of the dog who incidently bred my bitch will have how many he wants,surplus are given to legitimate terrier lads we both know that will test the terriers to their full working potential and should they not fullfill that potential,the correct thing WILL be done and not passed from pillar to post..

every terrier i have is docked and i see MINE are all micro chipped after having a terrier stolen a few years ago.

it is NOT illegal to work a terrier in the ground aslong as you are on permition and the aim is to BOLT the fox...

in live in a wealthy part of the country and know of terrier pups,mainly patterdales being sold for the sum of £400.im far from rich and would love a few litters of £400 per pup but NEVER would i.i breed when i need,the surplus go to people i know or are PTS.

Last edited by a moderator:
just putting one of my bitches in pup.a black bitch,5yr old,worked to fox week in week out all year round and this will be her first litter.she is going to a black dog,same way bred but a different generation,the dog is 8yr old,also worked to ground all year round.i am hoping to have 2 back,the owner of the dog who incidently bred my bitch will have how many he wants,surplus are given to legitimate terrier lads we both know that will test the terriers to their full working potential and should they not fullfill that potential,the correct thing WILL be done and not passed from pillar to post..

every terrier i have is docked and i see MINE are all micro chipped after having a terrier stolen a few years ago.

it is NOT illegal to work a terrier in the ground aslong as you are on permition and the aim is to BOLT the fox...
ive just pm you as you posted .

just putting one of my bitches in pup.a black bitch,5yr old,worked to fox week in week out all year round and this will be her first litter.she is going to a black dog,same way bred but a different generation,the dog is 8yr old,also worked to ground all year round.i am hoping to have 2 back,the owner of the dog who incidently bred my bitch will have how many he wants,surplus are given to legitimate terrier lads we both know that will test the terriers to their full working potential and should they not fullfill that potential,the correct thing WILL be done and not passed from pillar to post..

just read it but deleted by accident.as you can see,i have the patterdales and also a fell and moorland working terrier club rep.

just read it but deleted by accident.as you can see,i have the patterdales and also a fell and moorland working terrier club rep.
I joined the fell and moorland terrier club a few months ago.

The dog that i will be breeding from is 2 years old and arrives at the end of August. I use my dogs for rabbits and ratting as a pest control around my fields and stables. I feel like i came on here for a little advise and am getting a deep interigation as to my intentions and my knowledge. I breed because i have a market for what i breed and strive for perfection of type be it my horses or my dogs. I would not breed for the sake of. I am not that sort of person.
I think you will find that people who want real working terriers are likely to have more in mind than rabbits and rats. As for feeling interigated - you publically state that you intend to commence a breeding programme of proper working terriers yet you are not aware of the legislation involved with keeping it legal? It may be best to leave the breeding of real working terriers to the expertise of people who use real workers week in, week out. The dog shelters are already full and breeding more dogs is not to be taken lightly. Good luck with what ever you decide. Hope you find the terrier club helpful.

I think you will find that people who want real working terriers are likely to have more in mind than rabbits and rats. As for feeling interigated - you publically state that you intend to commence a breeding programme of proper working terriers yet you are not aware of the legislation involved with keeping it legal? It may be best to leave the breeding of real working terriers to the expertise of people who use real workers week in, week out. The dog shelters are already full and breeding more dogs is not to be taken lightly. Good luck with what ever you decide. Hope you find the terrier club helpful.
where did i state i wasnt aware of the legal aspects. You dont know anything about me or what I do. all i asked was if anyone new where there was a vet that would dock tails. I know the law regarding docking. I stated that was what I did with my patterjacks just vermin control for my stables. I shall know not to ask another question on here!!

i MAY be wrong but anyone having over 3 litters per year must obtain a lisence from the council :wacko:

you are quite right on that one and i dont breed more than 2 litters a year hence a waiting list for my patterjacks. Also I am a member of pet plan and we sign up to a code of conduct. I will only breed from my bitch 3 times and then she has finished. That would be spread over 6 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back