The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Stud Fees

Seraphina

Registered
Reaction score
Cost of a stud fee covers:

The stud dog’s owner’s time plus the value of genetic material passed on to his progeny. Some people think it is “easy money”. Well, this should be taken into consideration. To get a stud dog, you first have to find a nice puppy with potential. You buy him, feed him, vaccinate, worm, show him etc. It all ads up to a substantial sum. If you are lucky, he will fulfill your expectations and get some impressive wins, and hopefully his championship title. ONLY then you CAN HOPE somebody may use him at stud. If the progeny from his first litter is shown and starts also doing well in the ring you may get more stud enquiries. But even then it will be a while before you break even. And for every one dog that becomes a successful, much used stud dog, there are many very nice dogs nobody will use.

I rather pay a stud fee for a dog of my choice than keeping a male hoping he will turn out good enough and SUITABLE for my girls. And I am grateful to those who keep stud dogs making breeding a litter possible for me. :thumbsup:

Lida

Last edited by a moderator:
Lida, you are absolutely right that it is easier & often times more convenient to not keep a dog particularly when you have several bitches coming into season.

I speak as one who has kept stud dogs (Vizslas) over 25 year or so period. However when I pick the dog pup to keep I did not just view him as a potential stud, I except to enjoy his wonderful companionship for the next 14/15 years .

Are stud fee too expensive?

I can't speak for whippet stud fees as I never enquired about them and don't really know what a ball park figure is.

In vizslas they range frm $1000 t0 $2,200, and I might add that those who are truely dedicated to the breed willing pay these prices. When I first enterd the dog world I was told by a number of experinced dog folk that your stud fee should be equal to the price of 2 pups. Breeders who who truely care for this breed (not dog dealers out for a quick buck) charge between $8000 & $1500 for a pup.

These owners have usally value add to their stud dog by exhibiting it at shows, it will no doubt be a Ch, Gr CH, BISS Or BIS winner, perhaps it will have been worked it in the field and or obedience they will be confident in its temperament. They will have had numourous health checks done for hips, elbows, eyes, heart, thyroid function, VWB etc.

Are the prices they charge to expensive...I think not!

Seraphina said:
Cost of a stud fee covers: The stud dog’s owner’s time plus the value of genetic material passed on to his progeny.  Some people think it is “easy money”.  Well, this should be taken into consideration.  To get a stud dog, you first have to find a nice puppy with potential.  You buy him, feed him, vaccinate, worm, show him etc.  It all ads up to a substantial sum.  If you are lucky, he will fulfill your expectations and get some impressive wins, and hopefully his championship title.    ONLY then you CAN HOPE somebody may use him at stud.  If the progeny from his first litter is shown and starts also doing well in the ring you may get more stud enquiries.  But even then it will be a while before you break even.  And for every one dog that becomes a successful, much used stud dog, there are many very nice dogs nobody will use. 

I rather pay a stud fee for a dog of my choice than keeping a male hoping he will turn out good enough and SUITABLE for my girls.  And I am grateful to those who keep stud dogs making breeding a litter possible for me. :thumbsup:

Lida

I'm amazed at the fees for vizlas, but maybe it is because they are a less common breed than whippets?

what are typical fees and terms for whippets at stud these days?

It can differ quite a bit, but in general over the years, I would expect to pay aproximately the price of one pup. Plus or minus depending on the dog's name and show career, and his succes as a stud dog = show succes of his progeny.

whipowill said:
Lida, you are absolutely right that it is easier & often times more convenient to not keep a dog particularly when you have several bitches coming into season.
I speak as one who has kept stud dogs (Vizslas) over 25 year or so period.  However when I pick the dog pup to keep I did not just view him as a potential stud, I except to enjoy his wonderful companionship for the next 14/15 years .

Are stud fee too expensive?

I can't speak for whippet stud fees as I never enquired about them and don't really know what a ball park figure is.

In vizslas they range frm $1000 t0 $2,200, and I might add that those who are truely dedicated to the breed willing pay these prices.  When I first enterd the dog world I was told by a number of experinced dog folk that your stud fee should be equal to the price of 2 pups.  Breeders who who truely care for this breed (not dog dealers out for a quick buck) charge between $8000 & $1500 for a pup.

These owners have usally value add to their stud dog by exhibiting it at shows, it will no doubt be a Ch,  Gr CH,  BISS Or BIS winner,  perhaps it will have been worked it in the field and or obedience they will be confident in its temperament.  They will have had numourous health checks done for hips, elbows, eyes, heart, thyroid function, VWB etc.

Are the prices they charge to expensive...I think not!

Seraphina said:
Cost of a stud fee covers: The stud dog’s owner’s time plus the value of genetic material passed on to his progeny.  Some people think it is “easy money”.  Well, this should be taken into consideration.  To get a stud dog, you first have to find a nice puppy with potential.  You buy him, feed him, vaccinate, worm, show him etc.  It all ads up to a substantial sum.  If you are lucky, he will fulfill your expectations and get some impressive wins, and hopefully his championship title.    ONLY then you CAN HOPE somebody may use him at stud.  If the progeny from his first litter is shown and starts also doing well in the ring you may get more stud enquiries.  But even then it will be a while before you break even.  And for every one dog that becomes a successful, much used stud dog, there are many very nice dogs nobody will use. 

I rather pay a stud fee for a dog of my choice than keeping a male hoping he will turn out good enough and SUITABLE for my girls.  And I am grateful to those who keep stud dogs making breeding a litter possible for me. :thumbsup:

Lida

Did you say Vizslas!!! Now thats my language! would love to see some pics of your big red gals and boys!

Jax (w00t)

whipowill said:
Breeders who who truely care for this breed (not dog dealers out for a quick buck) charge between $8000 & $1500 for a pup.
i

[SIZE=14pt]Is it one too many 0 there? Did it suppose to be $800 - $1500 ???[/SIZE]

My own GUESS about current stud fees would not have been much over £100.

I have an old booklet "The Whippet", Sept 1976, edited by Caroline Brown,in which a number of dogs were advertised at stud in Britain. Fees quoted ranged from £6.30 to £15.75. For example the fee for Ch Akeferry Jimmy was £10.50 and for Ch Nimrodel Ruff, £15.75. I bought a fairly nice Barnesmore whippet pup that same year and as far as I remember his purchase price was £50, about three times as much as a stud fee for a champion whippet. (I'm not sure because I also paid £50 for a pup in 1990 but I did think at the time that I got a bit of a bargain)

Macha said:
I have an old booklet "The Whippet", Sept 1976, edited by Caroline Brown,in which a number of dogs were advertised at stud in Britain. Fees quoted ranged from £6.30 to £15.75. For example the fee for Ch Akeferry Jimmy was £10.50 and for Ch Nimrodel Ruff, £15.75. I bought a fairly nice Barnesmore whippet pup that same year and as far as I remember his purchase price was £50, about three times as much as a stud fee for a champion whippet. (I'm not sure because I also paid £50 for a pup in 1990 but I did think at the time that I got a bit of a bargain)

I would be VERY surprised if you could get a stud anywhere for that!!!

05whippet said:
Macha said:

I would be VERY surprised if you could get a stud anywhere for that!!!

Yes, that sounds very strange to me. Could not the prices be earlier than the 1976? Actually thinking about it if I publish a book now i would not include current prices. It seems to me that they were included as a curiosity, something from some years before.

From all the old books I understand that it was always ( I mean as far back as purebred dogs were bred) price of service was a puppy, or equivalent. In a way giving a pup instead of payment would be a good idea. The stud dog's owner would have to consider if the bitch is good enough for him to have (or to sell ) puppy from her.

I paid £250 for my girls whippet stud, and got 11 healthy, top quality pups, can't complain about that! :thumbsup:

5 girls and 6 boys (all blue except 2 blue fawns) I kept 2 girls as I fell in love with them both and couldn't choose between them so had them both (w00t)

BTW they are all in perfect homes now and I get loads of updates and pictures off thier new mums and dads (I've been so lucky with this litter :cheers: )

a lot is said of the bitch owners lifetime duty of care to pups bred and quite rightly too :thumbsup: but it is often assumed that a stud dog owners reponsibility towards the pups produced ends on payment for services rendered, why?

it seems that a lot of people see stud dog owners as in it for the money, and i'm sure that in some cases this is very true but there are many stud owners who feel just as responsible towards the pups their dogs have sired as pups they have bred themselves,

I keep entire boys not girls and no longer breed myself so if i want a pup that continues my lines i have a pup from the litter,

i am discerning, about who gets to use any of my lads and have turned away more than accepted,including a champ show judge :oops: i try my best to allow pairings that will compliment the parents assets and hopefully improve any failings and so far i have been more than pleased with the results, my boys might not be world beaters but to me their genetic material is too valuable to squander on unsuitable pairings just to put a few quid in the bank... it would do an injustice to the breed i love.

the two brothers both had new wives last week and i 'vetted' them as if they were having a pup from me because in effect they are, between the two of them i have driven over 400 miles and if all goes well, the begining of May will hear the patter of tiny feet in my house again :wub:

some people charge the price of a pup or get a pup in return instead of paying for a fee if any one wanted to use my lovely keano beano i would prob charge at the moment about £150 which i think is fair enough. :) however if keano was to contiue to do well in the ring then i would charge a bit more prob about £200- £250

"Yes, that sounds very strange to me. Could not the prices be earlier than the 1976? Actually thinking about it if I publish a book now i would not include current prices. It seems to me that they were included as a curiosity, something from some years before."

The booklet was definitely 1976 and was a directory with adverts from breeders. Many of the owners did list stud fees and all were under £16.

Macha said:
"Yes, that sounds very strange to me.  Could not the prices be earlier than the 1976?  Actually thinking about it if I publish a book now i would not include current prices.  It seems to me that they were included as a curiosity, something from some years before."
The booklet was definitely 1976 and was a directory with adverts from breeders. Many of the owners did list stud fees and all were under £16.

You are talking about thirty years ago!!! In case you hadn't noticed things have gone up in price considerably since then!!!!

I bought my 1st whippet around 1979, and she cost £30 so stud fees then, werent quite the price of a puppy :huggles:

I will say though she was fully innoculated as well :)

dessie said:
Macha said:
"Yes, that sounds very strange to me.  Could not the prices be earlier than the 1976?  Actually thinking about it if I publish a book now i would not include current prices.  It seems to me that they were included as a curiosity, something from some years before."

You are talking about thirty years ago!!! In case you hadn't noticed things have gone up in price considerably since then!!!!

:lol: Yes, but in 1976 I was selling my Danes for #250 - $300, and I paid stud fee $250. If i remeber correctly the exchange rate was in those time aproximately $2 = 1 pound. Some purebred dogs were cheaper than Danes, but I do not think any were much under $150. I always found that dogs were more expencive overseas than here, and still are.

I bought my 1st whippet around 1979, and she cost £30 so stud fees then, werent quite the price of a puppy hug.gif
I will say though she was fully innoculated as well original.gif
Every pup I ever sold (even those from bitches I rescued while pregnant) was vaccinated.

Back