The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Stray Injured Greyhound - Needs Catching Desperately

2backs

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

Apologies if this is in totally the wrong place but I'm desperate.

Secondly I am using my hubbies account - so don't shout at him if it is in the wrong place please :b

For the past week my daughter has been trying to catch a greyhound that has been dumped for the second time by some 'people' in Cardiff.

The dog is so skinny you can see it's ribs from a distance and it's got an injury on its back. The dog warden has been informed but so far has been unable to catch it. I have contacted the Greyhound rescue to see if anyone could go out and try and help catch the dog, as the businesses in the area know where he goes at night and in the evening etc - but as a dog is 'owned' by someone they can't interfere and it has to be the dog pound/warden that gets the poor little mite.

I used to help with a cat charity - trapping stray cats - and I wondered if any of you knew if something like this was available for dogs that wasn't linked to a charity so it wouldn't be illegal.

Any help would be appreciated.

Lisa

HiApologies if this is in totally the wrong place but I'm desperate.

Secondly I am using my hubbies account - so don't shout at him if it is in the wrong place please :b

For the past week my daughter has been trying to catch a greyhound that has been dumped for the second time by some 'people' in Cardiff.

The dog is so skinny you can see it's ribs from a distance and it's got an injury on its back. The dog warden has been informed but so far has been unable to catch it. I have contacted the Greyhound rescue to see if anyone could go out and try and help catch the dog, as the businesses in the area know where he goes at night and in the evening etc - but as a dog is 'owned' by someone they can't interfere and it has to be the dog pound/warden that gets the poor little mite.

I used to help with a cat charity - trapping stray cats - and I wondered if any of you knew if something like this was available for dogs that wasn't linked to a charity so it wouldn't be illegal.

Any help would be appreciated.

Lisa

It might be worth a try going to your vets and getting some tranquilizers enough just sedate the dog slightly and put it in some food, bear in mind you will have to make sure its only that dog that eats it and has to be followed if that at all possible, but i would have thought also there are traps big enough for a greyhound,

good luck in catching the poor thing

The problem with sedatives is that they can take quite a while to work, so the dog could wander a long way to goodness knows where and be quite groggy and vulnerable to getting run over or having an accident. A dog trap would be a possibility if the dog is sticking to the same area.

I'd suggest you post on the Greyhound Gap forum for advice, people on there have caught a good few stray dogs in their time and even if they can't help directly will point you in the right direction. If the dog has been dumped and the owners are making no attempt to get it back then it's technically a stray, I don't see why a charity can't help catch it. The dog may have to do 7 days in the pound after it's caught, but can then be passed on to be rehomed.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with sedatives is that they can take quite a while to work, so the dog could wander a long way to goodness knows where and be quite groggy and vulnerable to getting run over or having an accident. A dog trap would be a possibility if the dog is sticking to the same area.
I'd suggest you post on the Greyhound Gap forum for advice, people on there have caught a good few stray dogs in their time and even if they can't help directly will point you in the right direction. If the dog has been dumped and the owners are making no attempt to get it back then it's technically a stray, I don't see a charity can't help catch it. The dog may have to do 7 days in the pound after it's caught, but can then be passed on to be rehomed.

Thank you ....just getting on to their site straight away

LIsa :thumbsup:

I'd suggest you post on the Greyhound Gap forum for advice, people on there have caught a good few stray dogs in their time and even if they can't help directly will point you in the right direction. If the dog has been dumped and the owners are making no attempt to get it back then it's technically a stray, I don't see a charity can't help catch it. The dog may have to do 7 days in the pound after it's caught, but can then be passed on to be rehomed.

still waiting for their activation code :unsure:

still waiting for their activation code :unsure:

Posted !!! :thumbsup:

hope this lad is caught soon

poor lad must be starving and so scared

and nights are getting colder

as he's been dumped

he no longer as a owner

wish i could help

lots :luck: catching him

please let us now how he is

hope this lad is caught soon poor lad must be starving and so scared

as he's been dumped

he no longer as a owner

wish i could help

of course I'll keep you posted. I have spoken to the greyhound rescue lady and she has assured me that the Cardiff Dog Warden will do all they can.

Fingers crossed it won't be too long before he's in a warm bed with a fully belly.

Lisa

as he's been dumped

he no longer as a owner

wish i could help

of course I'll keep you posted. I have spoken to the greyhound rescue lady and she has assured me that the Cardiff Dog Warden will do all they can.

Fingers crossed it won't be too long before he's in a warm bed with a fully belly.

Lisa

Just logged on to the Greyhound Gap Forum and found this reply to my posts:

If this is a dark brindle boy then the dog warden is already setting traps for him using a feeding station approach

and GRW are set to take him. They have successfully caught a nubber of very frightened greyhounds using this

approach, so hopefully he wil soon be safe :)

Just to let you all know that he is a dark brindle.......so hope is in site.

thanks for all your help and advice.. will keep letting you know how it goes

lisa x

as he's been dumped

he no longer as a owner

wish i could help

Lisa

Just logged on to the Greyhound Gap Forum and found this reply to my posts:

If this is a dark brindle boy then the dog warden is already setting traps for him using a feeding station approach

and GRW are set to take him. They have successfully caught a nubber of very frightened greyhounds using this

approach, so hopefully he wil soon be safe :)

Just to let you all know that he is a dark brindle.......so hope is in site.

thanks for all your help and advice.. will keep letting you know how it goes

lisa x
Sounds hopeful. Really hope he is caught soon, poor thing :(

just up the road from me were abouts has he been seen???i maybe able to go for a wonder this evening maybe take one of my dogs a bitch see if that gets him to come out of hiding ???

hope this poor lad as been caught

theres a nip in the air tonight

can't stop thinking about him cold and hungry

and no warm bed

No news as yet - Nicky I have PM'd you where he is seen regularly.

Will keep you all posted.

Lisa xx

does anyone now if this lad as been caught yet?

hope he as

does anyone now if this lad as been caught yet?hope he as
He hasn't been seen for a while, hopefully he has been caught and i will let you know as soon as i know something

Lisa :)

Back