The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Stolen Dogs - A Bit of a Sad Read

It's so sad. I'd be distraught if this ever happened to me.

What are people opinions on leaving their dog tied up outside a shop whilst they go and get a few bits?

What are people opinions on leaving their dog tied up outside a shop whilst they go and get a few bits?
We were advised never to do this as if the dog bites someone or another dog, you'd be held liable. That said, we see it done a fair bit, and I have no view either way if it's right or wrong, especially as some places some to encourage it with water bowls and so on. Personally, I think doing this would scare our dog and he'd be wondering what on earth is going on so I won't do it.

I don't leave my boy's outside shops i think they'd get upset. Also i had a bad experience when i was young, i tied my dog up at our local corner shop and when i came outside a lady was walking away with him it's a horrible feeling. I did get him back as i approached her and well i had a few choice words for her, my dad reported her to the police who went round and found she had lot's off dogs at her home that had all been reported missing .
Strange people out there.

I'd never leave Jasper tied up outside a shop, only partly because he would howl, and partly because he can seem very friendly until someone 'scary' tries to pet him, then he turns into Hound of the Basketcases, I mean Baskervilles ;) Oddly enough, the chances of someone stealing him are negligible, as he would completely freak out. Even if OH tried to lead him away while I was in a shop he wouldn't go!

But generally, I wouldn't do it with any dog. No one would dream of leaving a toddler tied to a rail outside a shop, would they? So why would they do it with a dog?

I have never left Misty outside a shop, and I never would. She would hate it and cry if she couldn’t see me, she doesn’t even like it when I go to the bathroom! I would worry because she is so friendly to people that she would probably go off with a stranger if they showed her some affection :eek:

I have never and will never leave Olive or Doris outside a shop what I do is i got a dog carrier and when i go to Tesco or M&S i always take her in her carrier because she isn't touching any produce clothes etc. But Olive wouldn't go with strangers any way because she's still wary of people. But were getting there regarding training helping her get over it.

Someone tried to take my friend's dog the one and only time she left him tied up outside a shop, she was in there for a few minutes. She came out and someone was untying him.

Oh that's awful!! what did she say to the person??

I don't leave my boy's outside shops i think they'd get upset. Also i had a bad experience when i was young, i tied my dog up at our local corner shop and when i came outside a lady was walking away with him it's a horrible feeling. I did get him back as i approached her and well i had a few choice words for her, my dad reported her to the police who went round and found she had lot's off dogs at her home that had all been reported missing .
Strange people out there.
Some people are so sick, stealing a dog off a child! A CHILD! I'd be lost without Daisy, especially if she was stolen!!!

Back