The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Spayed Bitch

michael darrington

Registered
Reaction score
Hi , i have 3 dogs. A 12 year old spayed female labrador , an 8 year old entire male labrador and a 7 month male whippet.

Over the last year my famale lab has been attracting a lot of attention on her walks as though she were in season. All male dogs follow her and want to mate. My male labrador always seemed very interested when she had urinated and would lick at the ground . For the last month or so he has pestered her constantly and attempts to mount her whenever possible.

My Whippet has now started to do the same , following and sniffing her and attempting to mate.

When she gets up after laying down both dogs go to the place where she had been laying and start licking the floor frantically.

She was spayed at the age of 4 and there were no problems of dogs showing interest until only a year ago , aged 11 . Its just as though she were now constantly in season.

Has anybody else had or heard of this problem with spayed bitches.

Im not really sure how i can remedy this annoying problem.

Always had spayed bitches and never had this problem .

I would take her to the vet for a check up :b

I've never had anything similar with any of my bitches, I would definitely get her checked over, there may be something hormonal going on.

Just a thought, but sometimes dogs with full anal glands attract a lot of attention from other dogs. My (male) greyhound used to have anal gland problems, and it seemed to make him attractive to other male dogs :eek:

I think a trip to the vets is probably going to be the next step . I have checked her anal glands and all is fine there and she seems very well in herself ..... this a strange one ??? :(

Was she in charge (of the pack ) before recently ? Mounting is sometimes a dominance thing . Watch the males (are they both entire?) closely ,there might be a title up for grabs here ;)

Was she in charge (of the pack ) before recently ? Mounting is sometimes a dominance thing . Watch the males (are they both entire?) closely ,there might be a title up for grabs here ;)

Well she is an old lady now and keeps herself to herself and dosent have much to do with the males. She growls and snaps if they try to mount her which results in them backing off.

Both the males are very non dominant and never squabble with each other or her but they are both very excited from something she is emmiting.

As i said before its not just my dogs but ALL male dogs . She is followed and sniffed outside just as though she were in season.

Back