The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Sore Eyes

john gregory

Registered
Reaction score
I think Poppy has sore eyes, she wakes each morning with a lot of bed on her eyes and I have to keep wipeing thru the day. She also stands and closes her eyes like she is going to sleep. Are there any drops or is it a visit to the vets ? ( £££££££ ).

This year,my dogs have had sore eyes on & off due to the very dry weather & high pollen count here.After each walk,i bathe them in a saline solution & if they get a bit bloodshot,i have been using optrex infected eyes,which is Chloramphenicol.This is more than likely what the vet would give you anyway!

Having said that,if you think there's a different reason for Poppy's eyes to be sore,take her to your vet :thumbsup:

:unsure: The most likely cause is high pollen count and the only thing I use is distilled Witch Hazel diluted with some distilled water, which is all that Optrex is. I certainly wouldn't use any "chemical based" solution and then see how she does. If. when the pollen is low for a period of days, see how she is and only if her symptons continue, would I consult the vet! They make a good living from situations like yours and very often you can manage it yourself. :luck: :wub:

Thanks, it always seems to be when we get back from a walk and running thru grass, I will get some of the products and try them.

I think you have answered your own question John,

Id try not to let her run through long grass for a while and see if that helps too.

Back