The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Sore Eye

Jacquie

Registered
Reaction score
My dog has had a sore eye now for a few days :( apart from bathing it in salt water with cotton wall balls is there anything else I can do? it looks like there's sleep in it, but keeps coming back :x

Jacquie

Jacquie said:
My dog has had a sore eye now for a few days  :( apart from bathing it in salt water with cotton wall balls is there anything else I can do? it looks like there's sleep in it, but keeps coming back  :x
Jacquie

Yes, take him to the Vet and get it treated

Sounds like conjunctivitous - our dog (Hutchy) had it recently. A quick trip to the vets - some eye drops for £30 :( and a couple of days later the problem had gone :)

same thing happened with my Missy,took her the vets,was conjuntivitius and £30 for eye drops but been told you can buy goldeneye from the chemist and thats just as good and alot cheaper.The tricky part is keeping her still enough to get the drops in her eyes...no easy task!

george06 said:
same thing happened with my Missy,took her the vets,was conjuntivitius and £30 for eye drops but been told you can buy goldeneye from the chemist and thats just as good and alot cheaper.The tricky part is keeping her still enough to get the drops in her eyes...no easy task!
Was that Fucithalmic? I think our vet charged £7 for it. It is a proper antibiotic, think it is more effective with a more serious eye infections. I used golden eye ointment for ages on mine, it didn't really help but a course of fucithalmic cleared it up.

Same here - fucithalmic from the vet worked for Willow. She had conjunctivitis in her eye and this really did the trick.

Alison

Thankyou all for your help :thumbsup: I'll get some eye drops for her :)

try oprex infected eye availablle from chemists :thumbsup:

Optrex and Golden Eye Ointment are brilliant if you catch things in early stages. Sounds like this may have gone past that and needs a vets magic! :- " :luck:

Strike Whippets said:
Tanya Docwra said:
try oprex infected eye availablle from chemists  :thumbsup:

Yep optrex is good stuff :)

Yep, Frankie had a sore eye last month. A day or two of Optrex and he was as good as new again! It was too nasty or gooey so i didn't think it was worth paying a consultation fee plus eye drops. If it was worse or hadn't cleared up i would obviously have taken him to the vets.

moriarte said:
george06 said:
Was that Fucithalmic? I think our vet charged £7 for it. It is a proper antibiotic, think it is more effective with a more serious eye infections. I used golden eye ointment for ages on mine, it didn't really help but a course of fucithalmic cleared it up.

No `vistamethasone` drops i got given.....and one worming tablet.....£30

If anyone is going to buy Optrex for infected eyes get the generic version its usually cheaper.

Its called chloramphenicol and is exactly the same stuff.

Back