The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Sooty Sam

Rachel

Registered
Reaction score
Hi!

I have just rehomed a lovely pup who has Sooty Sam in her pedigree, I think twice (can't lay hands on the pedigree due to a house rewire!). I have been browsing whippet ads for a while now and have found several litters boasting Sooty Sam in their breeding and I'm curious, particularly as he features in my pup's pedigree.

Is he a racing or coursing dog? If so, what racing name. What does he look like?

Any info. gratefully received, particularly a photo. He is clearly an influential dog but in what field? Who is this masked marvel?!

Hope you can all enlighten me as always!

Rachel

Hi, you'd be better posting this in the working section as Sooty Sam was a working dog ...... From what I've heard he would have been too big to race or course (under rules).....Though I think to the right bitches a few of his off spring have graced the field in both sports :) ......The working lads will be able to answer your questions and have no doubt got photos of him :D :luck:

Hmmm

Sooty Sam appears in many pedigrees as father grandfather and great grandfather on both sides of pedigrees.

Look on Whippet Archives, it is very informative.

he is a good dog on rabbits :thumbsup: , but is small in size so if he made good enough times he could be racing. :cheers:

kelly085 said:
he is a good dog on rabbits :thumbsup: , but is small in size so if he made good enough times he could be racing.  :cheers:

What Sooty Sam ?? .....I thought people said he was about 23" ......Plus I thought he'd died ......

Sooty Sam has died.

he was a big! dog

he never raced under WCRA rules contary to some claims made.

He's produced 100's if not 1000'S of pups (grandpups ect) he was very well marketed by his owner at stud.

if you type Sooty Sam into google you'll get plenty of info (good/bad) as he is very well documented everyware

i've moved this post to the working/.lure coursing section as it will get more replys here.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do a search on here with the info you find you would be able to write a book about him :thumbsup:

I have two dogs with him in their breeding they are the best dogs in the world to me, cannot fault them :)

This was Sooty Sam

Sootys.jpg

His Pedigree

scan0001-1.jpg

For more info look in The Working Whippet Year Book & The Working Whippet Winter 2007/2008

Pennymeadow Whippets said:
This was Sooty Sam
Sootys.jpg

His Pedigree

scan0001-1.jpg

For more info look in The Working Whippet Year Book & The Working Whippet Winter 2007/2008

From his great grandparent's back,on his dam's side,he has the same ancestry as my early whippet's and whippetxgreyhound's.Soon as i seen this pedigree,all the name's like Shallfleet Story Teller,Laguna light lagoon,and the Martinsell's all came flooding back.This is the line i started my WhippetxGreyhounds from,to a Whisper Wishes bitch,many,many moon's ago. Its a small world. If those are rabbit's behind him,he don't look 23 inches.If those are hare's,which i doubt,then maybe,but they dont look like hare's.Giant rabbit's maybe. ...Billy...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sooty Sam has a fabulous reputation and it is well deserved.

I don't actually work my dogs, they are just pets.

However, I did look for a pup that featured alot of Sooty Sam in the pedigree as my previous bitch,Indigo,was an absolute gem with such amazing energy and a beautiful temperment.

So my latest bitch, Bluebell also has alot of Sooty Sam in her pedigree.

Hi all! what a duffer I am! I didn't think I'd successfully posted this enquiry and with a bit of exploring I've found it - weeks later! Thank you all for the information - this dog has really done a lot of siring - he must have been good to have been used so often.

I plan to show my little rescue whippet with his lines very strongly on the sire's side and a a Pencloe Dutch Goldish/Silkstone side on the dam's - I wonder if she gets her looks from his or her side??? I'm sure someone will tell me when I show her.

Thank you once again for your replies - I'll keep researching him as I think he will prove to have been a valuable contributor to the whippet world.

It's good to realise that the real essence of whippet ie. ability to work is being kept equally buoyant as looks and conformation are in the show world - there is a very depressing thread on the showing section about the increase in genetic disorders in show whippets, particularly auto immune disorders, some blaming close line breeding - perhaps the working world has the answers - I was pleased to see that Sooty Sam goes back to the Shalfleets and Martinsells - many working whippets without even a show champion in their pedigrees must carry some very strong old lines that could be tapped into to introduce a bit more vigour - or... is the working world experiencing an increase in disease?

ahh the diverse world of whippets - isn't it a wonderful breed!

Thanks once again for the info. - will get googling!

Theres problems in most lines and types of Whippets .....Its good to see the topic of genetics etc .... being brought to breeders and pet owners attention ..... There are dogs even in SS's line with problems ...... and IMO I think he was very over used ....Just like top show bred champions are and racing champions are etc ....This isn't always "good for the breed" .......

Back