The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Smokey In Vets

jean.dunbar

Registered
Reaction score
Our old, lame and well used lady, Smokey was off her feet this morning. Just lying there only her eyes moving! OMG! She is almost 12 and we rescued her about 5 years ago. With a sinking heart I took her to the vet. Initial examination in the car and vet took her into surgery. She stood, wobbly but stood, on the table. We'll check her bloods. 20 mins later vet says we'll keep her in, her white blood cell count is VERY high, she needs to be on a drip. We are not out of the woods yet but let's hope she responds. I am so nervous.

Poor Smokey. Hope she feels better soon. They are such a worry.

Poor Smokey. Wishing her all the best and hope shes well again soon :huggles:

gosh any news????

lots and lots of :huggles: :huggles: :huggles: :huggles: :huggles:

Poor smokey... hope she feels better soon... :huggles:

:luck: :luck:

:luck: :luck: hope she's ok :luck: :luck:

Phoned vet for update. They were being positive but not really saying anything - she's maybe a bit brighter. Anyway she's staying overnight on the drip. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for all your good wishes and thoughts.

I would just like to say Jean that, from experience, once she has had all the drip treatment they can give her, bring her home, even if you have to take her back daily for top-ups. And go and visit her whilst she is in. The worst thing that can happen is that they lose the will to live if left at the Vets, especially if they are conscious even though very ill. I am convinced that is how I lost a parvo Cocker many years ago and when my little blue whippet, Lester, was on the brink (my Vet told me she thought he would not survive the night) I brought him home and he did live. I had a further week of intense nursing of him but it was worth it.

:luck: with Smokey.

Last edited by a moderator:
:luck: :luck: Smokey :luck: :luck:

i agree with you dessie.some dogs lose the will to live.after all they dont know theyre going home when theyre better,they may think theyve lost you and will never see you again.good luck smokey :luck: :luck: :luck:

I'm in the same position as you right now, hope it works out ok :luck:

doris said:
I'm in the same position as you right now, hope it works out ok :luck:

OMG Doris my heart goes out to you.

I am not planning to leave her there past tomorrow. Before we rescued her she spent weeks at a vets due to a leg injury.We collected her actually from the vets. I HATED leaving her this morning.I'm miserable and so are the other dogs. :(

:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: Smokey!

Ask if you can take the drip home with you?

So sorry to hear about Smokey, and hope that things are looking better in the morning :luck: :luck: :luck:

Back