The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Small Whippets Under 16lbs

I remember reading that years ago the original 'rag racers' could be as little as 10 pound, just right for sticking in your pocket so I read. Strange how the origins of the sport have changed, I understand a 20 pounder was considered large....

Paul

if there was a need for a class for under 16lb then why not,but if it's only to accomadate 1 dog it's a waste of time ,it's bad enough as it is now with dogs getting titles with a solo run. it took me 16 year to get a champion, it's far to easy now. ;)
i can only think of 3/4 16lbers that run now :)

it's very rare you will get a dog under 16lb nowadays.

Wonder why that is :-
why what is ? :(

Do you not think that with the new breeding rules regarding the greyhound outcross rule, there will be more of these little dogs being breed?
It shouldn't have any effect to a specific weight group. What the rule should do along with the weight cap is gradually bring the weight down of scratch dog with the only effect on the handicap being more handicapped dogs being produced rather than litters of No Limiters. However, as 1/2, 3/4, 7/8 crosses etc etc can line each other, people intending on producing scratch dogs alone could still achieve this although they run the risk of breeding dogs that exceed the weight limit and may well be 100% geneticallly GHD.

Personally, I think the reason that there are hardly any micros about, is because most have gone to pet homes. When the weight limit was 32lb and people had to breed to keep under that weight there were a lot more 16lb and unders about. Who knows, if the micros had been catered for these last few years those people may have decided to keep the little ones.

So does that mean I could run my 11lb bitch at a NNWRA event and get a 5 yd start from a 16lber. Might have to talk mam into schooling Daisy.

i can only think of 3/4 16lbers that run now :)

Does that make it easier for you John?

By the way,in1983 at the fed champs there were 20 entries for the up to 17lbs bitch class---4 of them were under 16lbs!!

whilst there were only 7 in the up to 35lbs class. Can you see why there are less small dogs now? ;)

mice racing next :eek: :p not enuff 16 pounders now never mind under.. i agree with u gordon cater for smaller dogs but cant think of any under 16

mice racing next :eek: :p not enuff 16 pounders now never mind under.. i agree with u gordon cater for smaller dogs but cant think of any under 16
That's because most of them never reach the track due to the disadvantage they face. People aren't encouraged to keep them so they end up as pets. There were two out of XSTATIC x DRAMA QUEEN that weighed 13 and 14 lbs.

It might be better to ask your club to catere for these dogs in their opens then if it and see how it goes from there or get your BWRA rep to putit forward at the next meeting better still propose it at the next BWRA proposals and it will go out to a ballot.

Question for you Linda, why is it that the NNWRF always wait till the BWRA do something before acting on it? I would have thought you would jump at the chance to be first for a change. ;)

like i said gordon i agree it could be a start ;) if folks were not frightened to give them a try ....we had blue goblin who raced at 16 but sometimes 15 still won opens so they have to be good even at 16 to win opens.. could be put on progrme saying depending on entries

Regarding injury when racing with bigger dogs, as i said previously my 13lber used to run with dogs up to 32lbs with no injuries. You can get injuries and fatalities with any size of dog, just look at the recent bend champs and Dawdon for example. And i have already said would you like to run in the champs in bigger weight groups? i think not.

Gorden 3 i can think of thats run at 14/15lb at champs and won are blue goblin, michellebelle and scally wag also was 14lb and won ...all these also ran in opens up to 20lb and won ... blue goblin won an open Monday at seaham weighed in at just under 15lb over 160 yards, trouble spot was just beat in light weigh run off by drama queen at bend champs .....

like i said if there good enough they will win ...

As i said to add another class to nnwrf champs would mean altering the light weigh heavy weigh run off as there would be 11 classes and only 5 traps ..

Personally if i had another 15 - 16 lber as good as blue goblin i wouldn't want to miss running her off in light weigh run off over 160 yards...

Last edited by a moderator:
Gorden 3 i can think of thats run at 14/15lb at champs and won are blue goblin, michellebelle and scally wag also was 14lb and won ...all these also ran in opens up to 20lb and won ... blue goblin won an open Monday at seaham weighed in at just under 15lb over 160 yards, trouble spot was just beat in light weigh run off by drama queen at bend champs .....

like i said if there good enough they will win ...

As i said to add another class to nnwrf champs would mean altering the light weigh heavy weigh run off as there would be 11 classes and only 5 traps ..

Personally if i had another 15 - 16 lber as good as blue goblin i wouldn't want to miss running her off in light weigh run off over 160 yards...

Denise i can tell you that in the 60s there was a litter containing at least 3 under 16lbs, they all made open class with at least two taking titles. They weighed 13,14&15lbs. The point is every other whippet runs in 2lb classes, so if you wanted to run in the BWRA champs you would have to give away up to 3yds to a natural 16lber. In the Fed you can indeed run at your weight but all other classes are only 2lbs different. How is that fair?

So if i had a whippet that weighed in at 14lb ...nnwrf run as weighed, i would have to run in the new micro class at champs ..although i don't want to ?...seems a bit of a farce to me ...we have always had whippets thats raced under 16lb ..

And Gorden i don't like your attitude why is it that the NNWRF always wait till the BWRA do something before acting on it? I would have thought you would jump at the chance to be first for a change....the nnwrf have already discussed the matter of a micro class in march 08 and it was said if there was enough people with under 16lbers that wanted a additional classes to be added we would, we advertised it and will always run a additional micro class if members want it

And Gorden i don't like your attitude why is it that the NNWRF always wait till the BWRA do something before acting on it? I would have thought you would jump at the chance to be first for a change....the nnwrf have already discussed the matter of a micro class in march 08 and it was said if there was enough people with under 16lbers that wanted a additional classes to be added we would, we advertised it and will always run a additional micro class if members want it

The comment was for Linda, if you read her reply you may see why. You don't have to like my attitude Dee but the last time i looked it was still not an offence to have an opinion. As to your comment that you will always run a micro class well if it's not advertised how are folks to know? o:)

I think the reason you don't get so many under 16lb running is purely because they aren't fast enough. Smaller dogs mature in their running ability a lot faster and I think you can identify if a youngster's going to be quick pretty early on. Finding a pet home for a tiny whippet that's a youngster is never going to be an issue so many are found loving pet homes. Bigger dogs take longer to develop and you have to wait and see how things go, by that point they've established themselves as a family member and folk will take them racing regardless of their abilities because they've bonded with the dog and get enjoyment out of seeing their dog racing and trying it's best. That's what I think for what it's worth.

.And Gorden i don't like your attitude why is it that the NNWRF always wait till the BWRA do something before acting on it? I would have thought you would jump at the chance to be first for a change....the nnwrf have already discussed the matter of a micro class in march 08 and it was said if there was enough people with under 16lbers that wanted a additional classes to be added we would, we advertised it and will always run a additional micro class if members want it

The comment was for Linda, if you read her reply you may see why. You don't have to like my attitude Dee but the last time i looked it was still not an offence to have an opinion. As to your comment that you will always run a micro class well if it's not advertised how are folks to know? o:)

Because i forgot to add it in the adverts, and no one has mentioned it again till now...but i will add it from now on :thumbsup:

Denise i can tell you that in the 60s there was a litter containing at least 3 under 16lbs, they all made open class with at least two taking titles. They weighed 13,14&15lbs. The point is every other whippet runs in 2lb classes, so if you wanted to run in the BWRA champs you would have to give away up to 3yds to a natural 16lber. In the Fed you can indeed run at your weight but all other classes are only 2lbs different. How is that fair?

The point is there are 5 traps ....10 classes and a light weight run off 5 dogs...heavy weight run off 5 dogs to make a light weight / heavy weight sup final ... if another class lets say up to 15lb was introduced then that would make 11 classes, would it be fair to say to a owner of the winner of the nnwrf 15lb champ sorry you cannot run ...unless this class was put on to be an additional .... but then some one with a good 15lb might not agree as they wanted to run in main champs , or there might be a owner that has a 13lb that wants another class added 12lb to 13lb ...we could go on for ever

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the reason you don't get so many under 16lb running is purely because they aren't fast enough. Smaller dogs mature in their running ability a lot faster and I think you can identify if a youngster's going to be quick pretty early on. Finding a pet home for a tiny whippet that's a youngster is never going to be an issue so many are found loving pet homes. Bigger dogs take longer to develop and you have to wait and see how things go, by that point they've established themselves as a family member and folk will take them racing regardless of their abilities because they've bonded with the dog and get enjoyment out of seeing their dog racing and trying it's best. That's what I think for what it's worth.

I also think some people are to frightened to run the very small whippet...especially as 90% of our opens are up to to 20lb

each to their own but i certainly wouldnt run my little 13lb bitch with bigger dogs

best place for her is on my settee :)

Does that make it easier for you John?

By the way,in1983 at the fed champs there were 20 entries for the up to 17lbs bitch class---4 of them were under 16lbs!!

whilst there were only 7 in the up to 35lbs class. Can you see why there are less small dogs now? ;)

1989 20 year ago tycool had 15 16lbers to beat and them days you had to qualifyfor the bwra champs,that meant there were other 16lbers around . maybee the capping might help bring the size down a bit.

what weight is your pup going to make gordon ;)

Back