The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Skinned Whippet Pads

firesprite

Registered
Reaction score
Our whippet has been tearing around like a mad thing, and today she has taken ALL the skin off of her two pads that are located up the leg by the dew claws (if she had them...). Lots of blood, as to be expected, currently treating with soft bandages and honey.

However, is this a typical whippety thing? I'm not sure if it is due to her skidding around after tennis balls or is it a running issue of her back claws raking her front legs as she runs?

Anyone out there able to throw any light on this? We are quite concerned, as it looks really painful, although she doesn't seem to be taking much notice. (we are going to the vets if it doesn't scab over, currently wearing a pair of tights and feeling very sorry for herself about having to look quite so ridiculous).

Cheers

firesprite said:
Our whippet has been tearing around like a mad thing, and today she has taken ALL the skin off of her two pads that are located up the leg by the dew claws (if she had them...).  Lots of blood, as to be expected, currently treating with soft bandages and honey.
However, is this a typical whippety thing?  I'm not sure if it is due to her skidding around after tennis balls or is it a running issue of her back claws raking her front legs as she runs? 

Anyone out there able to throw any light on this?  We are quite concerned, as it looks really painful, although she doesn't seem to be taking much notice.  (we are going to the vets if it doesn't scab over, currently wearing a pair of tights and feeling very sorry for herself about having to look quite so ridiculous).

Cheers

the stopper pads are as the name suggests their way of stopping quick, she would have cut them stopping fast to pick up the tennis ball, i have never heard of a dog cutting it's stoppers on their dew claws. a lot of racing dogs suffer from this if the groung is hard or really short grass, we bind ours with vet wrap (an elasticated bandage) but not too tight.

or you can put a dap of vasaline on each stopper pad.

dont worry too much just keep the pads clean and they will soon heal up.

hope this helps

dai :thumbsup:

Haven't got any ideas about cause, but there was a thread recently on treating sore pads which might be helpful :thumbsup:

what to put on sore pads

I'm going to add it into the FAQ thread about first aid if anyone else needs to find it in the future :thumbsup:

Ours skinned his pads really badly a couple of years ago. The Highways agency had put a temporary road in the field behind our house, using really sharp hardcore. I hadn't really registered it was there until he tore off along the length of it after seeing a fox. He must have skidded on it, as his stopper pads were in absolute ribbons.

We bathed them in saline solution and I was surprised how quickly they dried up and healed. I didn't try to bandage it, but just applied a warmed compress of saline solution every few hours (something we've repeated on a number of injuries, stiched wounds etc since).

Last edited by a moderator:
moriarte said:
We bathed them in saline solution and I was surprised how quickly they dried up and healed. I didn't try to bandage it, but just applied a warmed compress of saline solution every few hours (something we've repeated on a number of injuries, stiched wounds etc since).

Thats exactly what i do if any of my dogs do there stoppers. Within a week they have healed :thumbsup:

Saline solution is great for healing and drying up open sores. When healed try putting surgical spirit on pads. It will strengthen them and make them harder. Hope this helps!

Aww bless her ......Theres some sound advice above :thumbsup: .......I've pm'd you with some furthur advice ......Hannah :)

Holly has a raw pad at the moment :( and although we have it all under control, :) a greyhound person told me to mix glycerine with epsom salts and apply it - it will protect the pad and help it heal apparently. Anyone tried this?

cut and heal best cream on the market...our Mary did her back 2 pads a few weeks ago and took about 3 days for her to put her foot down , she was okay at the weekend .. i reckon she did it scratching up

thats good cream garry i think she did that at scotland didnt she but that sure was fast healing. :cheers: :thumbsup:

Back