The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Severed Tendon

graciepup

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone we are new here.I joined last week and since then my lovely grace has had a bad accident. :( She has severed a tendon in her front leg.She is being very brave and still trying to run around as whippys do!!!Watching her like a hawk as she has staples and only a light bandage.Does anyone know of a good place to buy support boots/wraps etc as her leg will never be perfect.We would be gratefull for any help.

Many thanks Claire and Gracexxx :wub:

Aww good Luck to Gracie :luck: - Get Well soon. :huggles:

graciepup said:
Hello everyone we are new here.I joined last week and since then my lovely grace has had a bad accident. :( She has severed a tendon in her front leg.She is being very brave and still trying to run around as whippys do!!!Watching her like a hawk as she has staples and only a light bandage.Does anyone know of a good place to buy support boots/wraps etc as her leg will never be perfect.We would be gratefull for any help.Many thanks Claire and Gracexxx :wub:

I am sorry to hear this :( poor Grace. I'm sending lots of hugs to her :huggles: .

I expect that your vet would be the best person to ask about support. Do you have a good sighthound vet, as pet vets aren't generally very experienced with running dog injuries? If not someone in your area will recommend one.

I think vet wrap might help support her leg- you can get if from saddleries and many pet shops.

OEH said:
graciepup said:
Hello everyone we are new here.I joined last week and since then my lovely grace has had a bad accident. :( She has severed a tendon in her front leg.She is being very brave and still trying to run around as whippys do!!!Watching her like a hawk as she has staples and only a light bandage.Does anyone know of a good place to buy support boots/wraps etc as her leg will never be perfect.We would be gratefull for any help.Many thanks Claire and Gracexxx :wub:

I am sorry to hear this :( poor Grace. I'm sending lots of hugs to her :huggles: .

I expect that your vet would be the best person to ask about support. Do you have a good sighthound vet, as pet vets aren't generally very experienced with running dog injuries? If not someone in your area will recommend one.

I think vet wrap might help support her leg- you can get if from saddleries and many pet shops.

Hi thankyou.My vet is not very good with sighthounds.I have vet wrap which we will be using once the staples are out,its catch 22 at the moment as cant put pressure on to the staples but need to imobolise the leg :wacko: I will try and find a good sighthound vet for her.If anyone in sussex knows of one please let us know.Any advice is welcome.

Hi Claire,

Whereabouts are you in Sussex, I am near Brighton.

While my Vets are probably not overly experienced in sighthounds, they are very good at listening and understanding that I know my dog best and what is normal/not normal for them. If they don't know the answer they have no problem with going somewhere else & finding out (e.g. when my Whippet went half bald at about 14mths they contacted a canine dermatologist )

Lisa said:
Hi Claire, Whereabouts are you in Sussex, I am near Brighton.

While my Vets are probably not overly experienced in sighthounds, they are very good at listening and understanding that I know my dog best and what is normal/not normal for them. If they don't know the answer they have no problem with going somewhere else & finding out (e.g. when my Whippet went half bald at about 14mths they contacted a canine dermatologist )

Hi lisa,we are in worthing so not far from brighton.My vets are good but not experienced with whippets.They have all the technology but not always the vets to use it :( I would like a vet who understands the type of dog they are.

Many thanks :thumbsup:

Claire and grace :wub:

Id ty to find a greyhound vet if you can , Has it made her toe go flat ? One of my GH did a tendon , I had it removed and she was racing and winning 6 weeks after the op :cheers:

Sorry t hear about your bitch and welcome to K9

i had a whippet that did the same thing,,,but it was back foot,,,it wasnt the same afterwards,,, the foot was sightly more flat footed than the rest,,,but the dog still went on to hav a good racing life,,,,went on to win a big lurcher race in the late 80,s,,,,,

so dont worry if its slightly flat footed,,,,it might be able to run with no problems :thumbsup:

Welcome to K9 :cheers: get well soon Gracie :luck: :luck:

whippeteerThe1st said:
i had a whippet that did the same thing,,,but it was back foot,,,it wasnt the same afterwards,,, the foot was sightly more flat footed than the rest,,,but the dog still went on to hav a good racing life,,,,went on to win a big lurcher race in the late 80,s,,,,,
so dont worry if its slightly flat footed,,,,it might be able to run with no problems :thumbsup:

Thanks whipeteer and jax you have made me feel better. Its the tendon at the front of the leg thats severed, which raises the foot up when she runs.Were your dogs injurys front of the leg or back?She is not lame and is doing well but stumbles if she is not concentrating.Thankyou so much for your help :thumbsup:

claire and grace :wub:

graciepup said:
whippeteerThe1st said:

Thanks whipeteer and jax you have made me feel better. Its the tendon at the front of the leg thats severed, which raises the foot up when she runs.Were your dogs injurys front of the leg or back?She is not lame and is doing well but stumbles if she is not concentrating.Thankyou so much for your help :thumbsup:

claire and grace :wub:

this is grace hopefully on the mend!!! :thumbsup:

View attachment 30214

She"s lovely Claire, :wub: hope she heals up quickly, :luck: the trouble with whippets is they dont seem to feel pain, and still want to do everything full pelt.

Back