The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Separation Anxiety In Whippets

flipper

Registered
Reaction score
We have two whippets (males) one is 18mths and the other is 7mths. The two of them get on well at home, and are happy to be in separate rooms and out of each others sight when at home, or in other peoples homes :) .

Our problem comes when we go to shows :( . When I take the puppy into the ring, he starts to become agitated and looks towards the other whippet, and starts to whine. When moving the puppy in the ring he tends to pull towards the direction where the other whippet is sitting. We have tried removing the other whippet from the show arena, but this only makes the puppy worse, as he can't now see the other whippet and the whining increases in volume :-

We have been told just to ignore the whining (easier said than done) by some, and to correct the behaviour with distraction techniques by others. We have tried both and neither seem to be working :(

We really enjoy showing our boys and don't want to resort to leaving one whippie at home whilst taking the other to a show. So wondered if anyone out there has experienced similar problems with their whippies when showing. Would be very grateful for any advice.

I have not experienced this with my dogs, but have seen it often enough in a show. It is just a matter of practice. Sooner or later they will get used to one going to be shown and the other waiting. Different things may work for other people; I would position the crate such a way that the pup can see his friend. I would probably crate the dogs on arrival to a show and then, during the day, I would take in turns each dog for a little walk. :luck:

Is the older dog behaving itself in the crate whilst the puppy in the ring is whining and pulling?

Does the puppy misbehave in the crate whilst the other dog is being shown?

Perhaps the training needs to start at home? You say "we" so I gather there's two of you. One partner take the puppy out on a walk and leave the other dog at home with the other partner and then vice versa or take them both out together but then head off in separate directions. It seems as though the puppy needs to learn that its ok to be away from the other. When you've got him away and if he is behaving, reward him for doing the right thing and ignore the misbehaviour. I know that's really hard to do but its what many of the "experts" recommend. And then at the shows as well, take the pup for walks away from his friend before you go into the ring and reward him if he is being calm. Cover the whichever dog is in the crate and give it a kong or something to chew on whilst its in there.

Hi,

I had this problem with a dog I showed, she became more and more agitated to the point of hysterical in the ring with each outing trying to get to the other dogs. Leaving the others at home didn't work either as by this point she just could not bear to be separated from the rest of her pack and became highly anxious even just getting in the car to go to the show. It became so bad that I gave up showing her, and she did have a lot of promise.

With my latest pup, I resolved to taking her out alone from the start so that if she did become afraid or over-awed when out as a youngster, she didn't turn to the other dogs to take comfort from or hide behind. With my previous bitch she had only ever been walked with the other dogs and was not a strong character or particularly bright (bless her!), so she just fell apart when facing the world alone, which I only realised in retrospect was something she had never had to do.

My efforts paid off for me big time this w/e when my youngster became totally spooked by a tannoy at a show and became a jelly in the ring! She looked to me for help and I was able to calm her as I had done when she was a small pup and became frightened on our lone walkies, my previous dog would have sort the rest of the pack BIG time!

I think, as Lana says, and as my experience seems to suggest, the problem will be helped by getting the dogs, particularly the youngster to think of themselves as dogs in their own right rather than part of a pack where the alpha dog makes all the decisions.

I'm sure it will sort itself out as the pup matures anyhow. Meantime, don't give up like I did! I well remember the total stress of having the only gibbering wreck in the ring - my stress at her behaviour made her worse and vice versa! I hope this helps and you begin to enjoy showing your pup as I am showing mine.

Thank you for your advice :) , we do try to arrive early for a show and place the crate where it can be seen, and take them out separately during the time we are at the show. Yesterday we went to a local companion show (outside), my husband sat ringside with the older dog, still the pup whined and galloped as he headed towards the direction of the other dog :( ! Being outside, the noise was bearable, so maybe we will have to do a few more outdoor companion shows before we move to indoor shows.

[We seem to be doing the right things, e.g. taking dogs on separate walks. The puppy whines for a few mins until the other dog is out of sight then he settles. When at shows, we do try to take them out separately. The same at home, if the older dog goes out, he whines only for a few mins then settles. Thats why iit is so frustrating at shows, when the whining doesn't subside but increases in volume, which sometimes starts the other dog whining. Not fun if you happen to be sitting next to us :b . We will try giving the dogs a kong and covering the crate and let you know if this provides any improvement.

Hi Rachel,

Thank you for your advice :) . We (my daughter and I) took the puppy to another ringcraft class, one we have not attended before. Initially, being one of the first to arrive he was quite quiet :) . As more and more dogs arrived it was apparent his nerves were starting to kick in. Whilst waiting to be 'gone over' he started the whining/screaming and looking in the direction of my daughter all the time. If he went quiet for even the shortest time I praised him and gave him a treat.

After about half and hour he started to become less and less agitated and the whining/screaming started to subside :eek: . By the end of the evening he had calmed right down and was lying, quiet and relaxed by me feet :eek: . Who would have believed it!

During the evening we took it in turns stacking the puppy, I did the first two attempts, which were quite stressful as he was so agitated (judges being very helpful and patient with him). By the time my daughter stacked and moved him, with him in a more relaxed state, he stood the best I have ever seen him stand on the table, really holding his head up high and really looking proud, with many of the club members commenting on his elegance, wow! hadn't expected that!

We are not expecting miracles overnight, but will continue slowly to build on what we achieved yesterday. It may mean we have to consider a change in handler if it comes to that. Fingers crossed, we may be able to show him one day in the not too distant future :D .

I tend to cover the cage and this normally settles the dogs. It becomes their safe haven and like a little den, even when they are much older :)

It's a bit like if a budgie is making a noise you cover the cover and it shuts up :lol:

Thank you for your advice. Will take it on board and put it into practice at our next show.

Back