The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Saluki Head Whippets?

Esty

Registered
Reaction score
On our walk today we met a guy who saw our whippets and started to chat. Almost as soon as he stroked them, he told us our ''lurchers had saluki in them somewhere because of the shape of the back of their head...''! He seemed a really nice fella but was certain the dogs were saluki lurchers. I told him they were whippets, big because their sire was a working dog and he asked if we knew their parents and how far back we can trace them, did we see their parents, were they sold as lurchers etc? Well, yes, they are KC registered, we have papers, saw them with their mum from 5 weeks of age onwards and have seen the pedigree (albeit on TWA) going back 100 years, so yes, we are pretty sure they are whippets!!

We've had people comment on our 'baby greyhounds' before but never our 'saluki lurchers'. I don't mind cos I really like lurchers AND salukis and would like to own either in future, but it did make me laugh how adamant this guy was. Yet, yesterday, a lady saw us from the other side of the canal and immediately knew they were whippets as she used to have some herself!

My saluki lurcher, apparently!!

IMG_4105.jpg

you meat theses sort of expecrts all the time take it with a pinch of salt :lol:

Looks like a stunning whippet to me. :wub: :wub: I love the colour of your bedding too - it looks really gorgeous. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Lush whippet :wub: - I get this sometimes with Ivy as she is a big girl!! :p She is not actually that tall but has a long neck and back, and she is pure whippet too.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Perfect looking whippet to me :D

Jinny and Sox are both on the tall side ........... both working bred from Mike Brown's lines :thumbsup:

did he have a can of special brew in his hand :clown:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Perfect looking whippet to me :D

Jinny and Sox are both on the tall side ........... both working bred from Mike Brown's lines :thumbsup:
My two are from Mike's lines on their sire's side as well - Lord of the Knight is their G. Grandsire ;)

Haha, he was just a normal guy out walking with his daughters but seemed certain that he could feel some knobbly bit on the back of the dogs' heads that made them salukis!! Takes all sorts, eh? He was friendly and his girls gave the dogs sticks to play with but he wasn't having it that I had real whippets. He thought I'd been ripped off, I think. :D

well my ex racing greyhounds have nobly bit at the back of there heads so they musyt be ex racing salukes lol

On our walk today we met a guy who saw our whippets and started to chat. Almost as soon as he stroked them, he told us our ''lurchers had saluki in them somewhere because of the shape of the back of their head...''! He seemed a really nice fella but was certain the dogs were saluki lurchers. I told him they were whippets, big because their sire was a working dog and he asked if we knew their parents and how far back we can trace them, did we see their parents, were they sold as lurchers etc? Well, yes, they are KC registered, we have papers, saw them with their mum from 5 weeks of age onwards and have seen the pedigree (albeit on TWA) going back 100 years, so yes, we are pretty sure they are whippets!!We've had people comment on our 'baby greyhounds' before but never our 'saluki lurchers'. I don't mind cos I really like lurchers AND salukis and would like to own either in future, but it did make me laugh how adamant this guy was. Yet, yesterday, a lady saw us from the other side of the canal and immediately knew they were whippets as she used to have some herself!

IMG_4105.jpg
THE GUY DOESNT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT, THATS A LOVELY WHIPPET

Looks very much like a whippet to me. :lol:

This is my friends saluki bitch.Can't see much likeness myself

Qassapups005.jpg

I have a Whippet cross saluki Flash looks more whippet but his ears are larger than a whippets.

Flash as a puppy look at the ears :)

100_2489.jpg

Flash a few months ago starting to grow into his ears

Flash003.jpg

I will try get a pic of him today and post it for you. Should tell taht man if you see him again what a saluki lurcher looks like :p

Haha, he was just a normal guy out walking with his daughters but seemed certain that he could feel some knobbly bit on the back of the dogs' heads that made them salukis!! Takes all sorts, eh? He was friendly and his girls gave the dogs sticks to play with but he wasn't having it that I had real whippets. He thought I'd been ripped off, I think. :D

I have a knobbly bit on the back of my head as well :b , so I must be a Saluki :eek: mind you my wife calls me worse names than that :lol:

My two girls have been called "baby Greyhounds" :angry:

Nice Whippet by the way

So far Kendall has been called a baby greyhound, a miniature greyhound, a lurcher, and an italian greyhound - the latter by someone who said they were looking at getting a whippet?!

I stroked an Airedale today - it was lying stretched out in the sun outside the Sainsbury's in Plymouth, like a giant teddy bear! :D Anyway, it had that bump on the back of its head - must have had a touch of Saluki in it!! :p

On our walk today we met a guy who saw our whippets and started to chat. Almost as soon as he stroked them, he told us our ''lurchers had saluki in them somewhere because of the shape of the back of their head...''! He seemed a really nice fella but was certain the dogs were saluki lurchers. I told him they were whippets, big because their sire was a working dog and he asked if we knew their parents and how far back we can trace them, did we see their parents, were they sold as lurchers etc? Well, yes, they are KC registered, we have papers, saw them with their mum from 5 weeks of age onwards and have seen the pedigree (albeit on TWA) going back 100 years, so yes, we are pretty sure they are whippets!!We've had people comment on our 'baby greyhounds' before but never our 'saluki lurchers'. I don't mind cos I really like lurchers AND salukis and would like to own either in future, but it did make me laugh how adamant this guy was. Yet, yesterday, a lady saw us from the other side of the canal and immediately knew they were whippets as she used to have some herself!

IMG_4105.jpg

Sorry, sent picture without message. These are my lot. A couple of whippets, some whippetxgreyhounds and the big one on the end is salukixgreyhoundxdeerhound.Your whippet is beautiful.

Back