The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Sad State Of Affairs

Im sorry to say but my blood boils to think that 10.000 greys went to their death in this way but what also annoys me is the extents that some people will go to blacken the greyhound racing name... the lies & stories that has been told is utter nonsense ( im not just talking of what i've read on here ~ the stories i hear when walking my dogs in the street ).. im forever putting people straight about the facts of greyhounds...

You can not tar every race owner or trainer with the same brush as the sick people who were involved in the barbaric act of cruelty... I for 1 LOVE & TREASURE my dogs... ALWAYS HAVE & ALWAYS WILL....

julieleigh said:
Galty is 100% right here... some1 has spred a load of rubbish, pups that are reared for racing DO NOT get to look at a track till they 15 months at least in some cases...

I haven't 'fallen for' anything 'hook line and sinker' - I'm asking a question.

Thank you for the answers.

julieleigh said:
Im sorry to say but my blood boils to think that 10.000 greys went to their death in this way but what also annoys me is the extents that some people will go to blacken the greyhound racing name...  the lies & stories that has been told is utter nonsense ( im not just talking of what i've read on here ~ the stories i  hear when walking my dogs in the street ).. im forever putting people straight about the facts of greyhounds...
You can not tar every race owner or trainer with the same brush as the sick people who were involved in the barbaric act of cruelty... I for 1 LOVE & TREASURE my dogs... ALWAYS HAVE & ALWAYS WILL....

I dont think anyone was saying that All Greyhound owner/breeder/trainers are the same and are therefore terrible people,but the facts do speak for themselves and unfortunately there IS an awful lot of Greyhounds for rehoming and also being PTS.I don't deny that there are a lot of dogs in general put up for rehoming or being PTS but statistics do prove that there are proportionately more Greyhounds than any other breed of dog.............so that does lead us to the question,why?

My Husbands Uncle has bred and kept racing Greyhounds for years,he never parts with his older ones that have raced and retired and his young ones that dont make the grade are kept with him until such a time that he can find good loving permanent homes for them.............hence why he always has loads of dogs!! but they are well looked after and safe.This man by the way is in his seventies.So I do know where you are coming from Julieleigh,I just wish there were more people like you out there. :thumbsup:

julieleigh said:
Im sorry to say but my blood boils to think that 10.000 greys went to their death in this way but what also annoys me is the extents that some people will go to blacken the greyhound racing name...  the lies & stories that has been told is utter nonsense ( im not just talking of what i've read on here ~ the stories i  hear when walking my dogs in the street ).. im forever putting people straight about the facts of greyhounds...

I can only speak for myself here... of course I don't think every racing trainer/owner is the type to take their unwanted dogs to be shot and buried.

I also think there is no escaping the fact that commercial greyhound racing demands large number of dogs to be bred, many of which become surplus to requirements. To some people involved, greyhound racing is a profit making venture and welfare isn't the priority.

I don't see why anyone would need to try to 'blacken the greyhound racing name'. There are people within the industry who do a very good job of that already. If people are worried about being 'blackened' surely they should be taking that issue up with the bad trainers/owners who do kill off/chuck out their unwanted dogs.

The numbers of stray greyhounds taken into local authority pounds, found injured, starved, taken in by independent (non RGT) rescues, found dead, put down, etc are testament to that. It is the actions of those people that give the industry a bad name.

i dont think anyone on this thread has made any statements about generalisations of all greyhound owners.and certainly noone here is tarring all greyhound owners with the same brush.its the same as anything, the bad few apples in the barrel spoil it for the rest of them.i dont know about the lies on this thread,i wasnt aware of any,but i stand to be corrected. ;)

galty said:
A genuine question here, - as I understand it greyhounds run in 'puppy trials' when they are about six months old, and a proportion of them fail for one reason or another and don't go on to register to race.  I have very rarely seen greyhound pups of this age in rescue - so what happens to the 'failed' pups?

Who the hell told you that.

UTTER rubbish.

A Greyhound is brought up with its litter brothers till at LEAST a year old, then its is schooled. it cannot trailed on a NCRC track till it is 15 months old, 14 months in Ireland.

You have fallen for the Antis lies hook line and sinker.

Whilst it may not be true that pups have trials aged 6 months, that doesn't mean that 'failed pups' are not sometimes disposed of. There are 'failed pups', (I have seen some racing people estimate that approx 1 in 4 don't chase) and Fee's question about what happens to these dogs remains a valid one.

Until then no one knows the potentil of any dog from any litter.
Are there no clues about this at an earlier age? Don't some trainers test their pups out behind a drag? Are there not other factors that would determine the potential of a pup, besides chase instinct, I mean physical factors, such as heart murmur or deformities?

Last edited by a moderator:
Rorington said:
Whilst it may not be true that pups have trials aged 6 months, that doesn't mean that 'failed pups' are not sometimes disposed of. There are 'failed pups', (I have seen some racing people estimate that approx 1 in 4 don't chase) and Fee's question about what happens to these dogs remains a valid one.

Fee`s question as I read it was asking why no 6 month old greyhounds are found in rescues.

Will state again. Greyhounds do not start their schooling until they are a least a year old,many British breed ones start later round about 15 Months

The first schooling they get is being put behind a straight drag.

A greyhound is classed as a puppy until it is two years old. Therefore you get "puppy" races. A bit misleading to people not involved in racing.

Cerito

Rorington said:
The numbers of stray greyhounds taken into local authority pounds, found injured, starved, taken in by independent (non RGT) rescues, found dead, put down, etc are testament to that. It is the actions of those people that give the industry a bad name.
Don't forget the ones that get taken to Spain and the ones that end up in animal testing labs etc. :(

My Tiny was dumped at 3 months because he was too small, he was taken to a pound in Ireland in rescue before he was 4 months old. He's still really small but to me he is perfect!

clairej810 said:
Rorington said:
Don't forget the ones that get taken to Spain and the ones that end up in animal testing labs etc. :(

I found this article written by Donal MacIntyre. It mentions the testing labs, Spain etc, and also mentions the fate of pups which was something being questioned here a few days ago.

Not all dogs go to heaven

Is this the date of the article? The Irish Times, 24th October 1994.

What's the current situation?

BeeJay said:
Is this the date of the article?  The Irish Times, 24th October 1994.
What's the current situation?

Well yes I found it very sad that when I saw that date on the article and I was wondering 'what has changed really?'

Rorington said:
galty said:
A genuine question here, - as I understand it greyhounds run in 'puppy trials' when they are about six months old, and a proportion of them fail for one reason or another and don't go on to register to race.  I have very rarely seen greyhound pups of this age in rescue - so what happens to the 'failed' pups?

UTTER rubbish.

A Greyhound is brought up with its litter brothers till at LEAST a year old, then its is schooled. it cannot trailed on a NCRC track till it is 15 months old, 14 months in Ireland.

Are there no clues about this at an earlier age? Don't some trainers test their pups out behind a drag? Are there not other factors that would determine the potential of a pup, besides chase instinct, I mean physical factors, such as heart murmur or deformities?

Are these quotes from two different Irish greyhound breeders any help for the question about pups, Rorington?

"you want to know what is chasing from 10 - 12 months - the sooner you know, the sooner you can cull - the cost of bringing a hound from 12 months to 18 months is most costly…"

“So what do you suggest I do with pups that do not chase, injured, or not able to grade? Come on lets take off the blinkers & face up to the realities of our sport.

Think it is time to confront the antis by coming clean. Is it really so bad that a few dogs are killed?”

Crosby said:
Rorington said:
galty said:

UTTER rubbish.

Are these quotes from two different Irish greyhound breeders any help for the question about pups, Rorington?

"you want to know what is chasing from 10 - 12 months - the sooner you know, the sooner you can cull - the cost of bringing a hound from 12 months to 18 months is most costly…"

“So what do you suggest I do with pups that do not chase, injured, or not able to grade? Come on lets take off the blinkers & face up to the realities of our sport.

[SIZE=14pt]Think it is time to confront the antis by coming clean. Is it really so bad that a few dogs are killed?”[/SIZE]

A [SIZE=14pt]FEW[/SIZE] DOGS !! Get real . you mean 1,000s every year :rant:

You mean disposed of because they dont come up to scratch ( in your eyes !!) What a shame we cant do this to some people , who call themselves `humans :rant: . and before you start Ive been involved with racing greyhounds for nearly 40years :eek: and all the dogs Ive had have lived there days out to the end of their natural , You use them just as a commodity . like a car :rant:

Well said Jaz

Sooner we drive people like that outer our sport the better.

JAX said:
A [SIZE=14pt]FEW[/SIZE] DOGS !! Get real . you mean 1,000s  every year  :rant:
You mean disposed of because they dont come up to scratch ( in your eyes !!) What a shame we cant do this to some people , who call themselves `humans  :rant: . and  before you start Ive been involved with racing greyhounds for nearly 40years  :eek: and all the dogs Ive had have lived there days out to the end of their natural ,  You use them just as a commodity . like a car  :rant:

Personally, no I don't. I dont' race or breed greyhounds

:)

I was just using quotes I'd found elsewhere to give an explanation what happened to pups.

But agree with your sentiments entirely :D

I would like to be first in line to do damage to these type of people :rant:

Crosby said:
JAX said:
A [SIZE=14pt]FEW[/SIZE] DOGS !! Get real . you mean 1,000s  every year  :rant:
You mean disposed of because they dont come up to scratch ( in your eyes !!) What a shame we cant do this to some people , who call themselves `humans  :rant: . and  before you start Ive been involved with racing greyhounds for nearly 40years  :eek: and all the dogs Ive had have lived there days out to the end of their natural ,  You use them just as a commodity . like a car  :rant:

Personally, no I don't. I dont' race or breed greyhounds

:)

I was just using quotes I'd found elsewhere to give an explanation what happened to pups.

But agree with your sentiments entirely :D

I would like to be first in line to do damage to these type of people :rant:

:huggles: Get in the queue then girl (or boy ) :wacko:

Back