The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Sad Day

Painted Lady

tattoo luvver
Registered
Reaction score
I had to return my grey rescue dog today.He arrived Friday but he didnt get on with my whippets. He was showing signs of aggression towards them but yesterday he shook my Coco by the throat and if my hub wasn't in the room I dread to think what would have happened. I feel such a s**t but my girls comes first and I was so scared for them.They wouldn't go near him and Coco would wee herself when she saw him.What would you do? He had to go. He was lovely with me, no problems but just didn't like my girls. Everyone says I have done the right thing and I know I have but can't help feeling so bad.These dogs really need helping out but I know I can't do this. :( :( :( The kids were so upset so I have promised them another whippet.I know this breed and know they are gorgeous dogs. :wub:Quick question for you all,would you put a bitch with 2 bitches? I was told not to by greyhound rescue so thats why I got a male but cos that didn't work out I don't know whats best for the girls.They have been through enough and I don't want to upset them anymore.

sarahloveland said:
I had to return my grey rescue dog today.He arrived Friday but he didnt get on with my whippets. He was showing signs of aggression towards them but yesterday he shook my Coco by the throat and if my hub wasn't in the room I dread to think what would have happened. I feel such a s**t but my girls comes first and I was so scared for them.They wouldn't go near him and Coco would wee herself when she saw him.What would you do? He had to go. He was lovely with me, no problems but just didn't like my girls. Everyone says I have done the right thing and I know I have but can't help feeling so bad.These dogs really need helping out but I know I can't do this. :(   :(   :( The kids were so upset so I have promised them another whippet.I know this breed and know they are gorgeous dogs. :wub:Quick question for you all,would you put a bitch with 2 bitches? I was told not to by greyhound rescue so thats why I got a male but cos that didn't work out I don't know whats best for the girls.They have been through enough and I don't want to upset them anymore.
Think you did the right thing before anything really 'major' happened otherwise you'd have been regretting it, and you've done it from the start, not a few years down the line when ALL the emotions would have come out. Sorry it didn't work out sarah.x

you HAVE done the right thing hon, the girls must come first as they're already part of the family...just doing the right thing can make you feel so c**p at times

:huggles:

urchin said:
you HAVE done the right thing hon, the girls must come first as they're already part of the family...just doing the right thing can make you feel so c**p at times
:huggles:

cant put it better myself , but the right dog will come along someday :huggles:

Yep you did the right thing. :thumbsup:

Sorry that it didn't work out and don't beat yourself up about it. :huggles:

Been there done that hun, its hard but the relief is enormous. Shame about your experience with the centre tho, thats made your day all the worse. Best of luck with your whippie hunt :huggles:

Sorry to hear he had to go back but you definitely did the right thing I'm sure the right dog will come along soon :huggles:

sorry it didnt work out,but at least you tried,thats the main :thumbsup:

How upsetting :( Well done for trying it isn't your fault and some dogs have been so badly damaged in a former life, it's impossible to know how they will be in a home environment until you try it. Good luck with your search for another dog :luck:

How horrible for you, but you did the right thing, he can't have been happy either. Good luck with finding a whippet. I have 4 girls together, and though one is spayed 2 of them fight fairly spectacularly on occasion, but not very often and they all get on very well the rest of the time.

How terrible for you that the greyhound didn't work out. Taking on a rescue dog is not easy. It was a wrong match and I disagree with whoever said that because you have girls that you should take a boy. Until recently I had 6 girls and 1 boy. Most of my dogs have come to me at varying ages and stages. Last Dec. I took on a 14yr old & an 11 year old who have always been together, both bitches. Everyone gets treated the same and they all know that I'm the boss. We lost our 1st rescue bitch a couple of weeks ago and all the dogs were very sad for a while without her. The only time there could be trouble between my bitches is at feeding time. I manage this by everyone having there place for eating and feeding in a specific order. They all know where to go and when they will get their's. Newcomers or visitors get theirs at the end of the line.

You definitely did the right thing, before anything really serious happened. Without knowing the dog it seems he might be better in a single dog home. I've never had all bitches but I would've thought that it depends on the dogs nature. I've known people with 1dog & 2bitches who've had no problems at all. :luck: with finding the right whippet

sorry it didn't work out. u did the right thing though.

We went to a greyhound kennels to see about a dog but as we arrived we saw a woman with a blue greyhound. We asked her why she was here with her dog and she said it was because she had to give barney (the dog) back. What had happened was the womans daughter was laying on the sofa, and barney went for her, he went for her neck.

You better consider yourself lucky that it was your dog and not one of your kids.

:( :( :(

I have heard of a few experiences like this. It is sad but I think there is so much that can never be found out about the background of these animals and just what they have been through.

its not your fault,you tried, it didnt work out.dont worry about it.you tried to give a home to a rescue dog with the very best of intentions :thumbsup:

So sorry to hear this. Please don't be hard on yourself; you did the best thing for all concerned. There can be tensions between greyhounds and whippets, both ways; sometimes it's the whippets that won't tolerate the greyhound. You did your best by giving it a try. :huggles: Goodluck in finding your next whippet :luck:

Such a shame that it didn't work out for you. You must be congratulated on trying to take on a greyhound given that you have several whippets.Your heart was definitely in the right place. I hope that in time the right dog will come along to integrate into your family group and once again, well done .You are an example to many. :thumbsup:

At least you gave it a try and a chance you took, sorry it didnt work out - thats a real shame :(

Janimal said:
At least you gave it a try and a chance you took, sorry it didnt work out - thats a real shame  :(
Thanks to all of you.I feel better today,the whippets are mch happier now.You are all so kind to reply to me.xxxxx :thumbsup:

Back