The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Red lump on lip

El_Poparino

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I have an 18 month old Golden Retriever. She has little black bobbles on the corners of her lips and one of them has just turned red, any ideas what might have caused this?

It's doesn't seem pay full when I touch it. She eats dry food (Beta by Purina)

Thanks

IMAG0547.jpg

It's quite possible that she's caught it with her teeth whilst playing and scuffed the black pigmented skin off or it could be an insect sting or a small soft tissue infection.

Is it sore? Does she seem bothered about it?

I'd keep taking photos of it every few days and check them against each other to make sure that it's not growing. If it's resulted from accidental damage then it could swell for a day or two and then the redness will fade gradually and the bobble will gradually return to its normal shape over a week or so.

If it swells more than a little, or it continues to grow after a couple of days then I'd take her to a vet just to get an opinion on whether anything veterinary needs to happen with it, but unless she's really bothered by it I wouldn't take her now.

One of my cats (sadly no longer with us) used to spend half of every summer with one side of her face all blown up because she had a habit of chasing, catching and eating wasps and bees. She lived to be 15 and she never learned that she didn't like the outcome. I hope that this is nothing more serious :)

I agree with eingana, if it changes at all then a vet check might be useful but otherwise shouldn't worry too much.

Back