The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Recalling Problems

vickieh2512

Registered
Reaction score
Ok so i have a problem here, im new to this forum i have 3 dogs one of which is my 7 month old whippet "ollie". I know he is only a baby still but he can do the basics; sit wait and recall on a lead/lunge line , my problem comes when i have him off the lead he will disappear accross the road :unsure: so please help me what can i do??

Im a vet nurse by trade but now a SAHM and i do have experiance in training dogs but im a bit unsure on how to treat the problem with a whippet. Im in Brigg/Market Rasen Area in Lincolnshire if any of you guys know anyone around me that could help.

Hi Vickie and welcome to the forum :p As Vickie's friend I can vouch that she does have experience with training her two other dogs and has been very successful with them. I can't really help her though, as a long time whippet owner myself I have been fortunate that all of mine have had excellent recall, even when a bunny has been involved. I'm sure someone on here can help :)

Hi Vickie and welcome to the forum :p As Vickie's friend I can vouch that she does have experience with training her two other dogs and has been very successful with them. I can't really help her though, as a long time whippet owner myself I have been fortunate that all of mine have had excellent recall, even when a bunny has been involved. I'm sure someone on here can help :)
Hi there angel, thanks for the vote of confidence, im looking forward to see what you guys think

To start with take him somewhere where there is no road near and train him there. I start on recall from the moment the pups are waddling around, and let them off the leash in our park as soon as I start taking them out. At 7 months they start being bit naughty, even if they were very well behaved up till then. Fortunately as my adult Whippets are very well behaved, they come when i call so the pups usually follow. Recall is the one command i keep constantly reinforcing by always having a beef jerky in my pocket, until the time the pups is adult and as dependable as the rest.

To start with take him somewhere where there is no road near and train him there. I start on recall from the moment the pups are waddling around, and let them off the leash in our park as soon as I start taking them out. At 7 months they start being bit naughty, even if they were very well behaved up till then. Fortunately as my adult Whippets are very well behaved, they come when i call so the pups usually follow. Recall is the one command i keep constantly reinforcing by always having a beef jerky in my pocket, until the time the pups is adult and as dependable as the rest.
would you keep recalling on off off the lead?

I never train re-call on the leash. My dogs know what "come" means, if they decide not to, it is not because they do not understand. I teach them to like coming to me when i call. I just let them go somewhere safe and let them run, every now and then I call and give a little treat, and they are free to go again. It is the routine of our walks. It helps having several dogs as each tries to be first back with me, just in the case there is not enough jerkies to go around :) . When they are very reliable on re-call, i do not always give them treats, instead they get a little cuddle. My dogs only get treats as a reward for obeying, so they associate the treat with coming back to me.

My soon to be 2 year old (birthday New Year's Eve!) is pretty good at recall - except when he would rather be doing something else, such as playing with another dog or eating rye grass. Although I would prefer his recall to be much better I have, for safety, taught him a 'wait' command which seems, touch wood, to be quite effective. So if he is heading for an exit to a park or other potentially dangerous situation I give him a stern command to 'wait' and 99 percent of the time he will stand still until I arrive. Obviously this only works if he is not in full flight - but I find that he is pretty much deaf when in full flight so I am not sure any command would work in that situation.

Kathy

I never train re-call on the leash. My dogs know what "come" means, if they decide not to, it is not because they do not understand. I teach them to like coming to me when i call. I just let them go somewhere safe and let them run, every now and then I call and give a little treat, and they are free to go again. It is the routine of our walks. It helps having several dogs as each tries to be first back with me, just in the case there is not enough jerkies to go around :) . When they are very reliable on re-call, i do not always give them treats, instead they get a little cuddle. My dogs only get treats as a reward for obeying, so they associate the treat with coming back to me.
What if you have a dog who isn't food orientated? Fortunately I don't have a problem with either of my whippets, but neither is driven by food. Are squeaky toys perhaps an option?

[What if you have a dog who isn't food orientated? Fortunately I don't have a problem with either of my whippets, but neither is driven by food. Are squeaky toys perhaps an option?

I have had more than my share of bad eaters, but i have never met one that did not get very excited about beef jerkies. I would imagine training before they are fed would help.

Try a squeaky toy and see, and let us know.

What if you have a dog who isn't food orientated? Fortunately I don't have a problem with either of my whippets, but neither is driven by food. Are squeaky toys perhaps an option?
My whippet Blue absolutely loves chasing his tennis ball. I always make sure I have a spare one in my pocket - one flash of it and he comes straight back. His recall is really good and I can't remember the last time I had to use the tennis ball to get him to come but I always feel better knowing it's there just in case :thumbsup:

My lurcher Hebe used to have the worst recall in the world when she was a pup. She would just go off & not come back, not even for food.

Someone advised me to train her to a whistle & amazingly it was the best advice ever :D

I started in the house, from one room to another & gave her a brilliant treat every time. Then we advanced into the garden from the house & vice versa. Then upstairs/downstairs. Then into the park at a quiet time with no distractions. All this worked brilliantly & to this day if she is off doing her own thing in the park, 2 quick blasts on the whistle brings her racing back.

She has also been known to respond to other people whistling their dogs, they get a bonus lurcher with every whistle :lol:

Hope you sort your problem out :luck:

Julie.

Last edited by a moderator:
just wanted to say that i have taken bits and pieces of all of your comments and also started to whistle train and he is being a little star. He has been an angel for 2 days now i just hope we can keep on top of him but im sure we can. There is a pic of him on the newbie ollie thread. Thanks to everyone

Back