The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Recall Problem

revitt5758

Registered
Reaction score
I have recently rescued a year old saluki /greyhound type lurcher dog. His greatest love is to run and run and run. Try as I might, he blanks me when I recall him. He is oblivious to my whistles, my voice, squeaky toys and, more worryingly, tasty morsels.

I have an older lurcher who comes to me when called, so as a last resort I turn back and run away in the opposite direction with her. This gets my youngster back to me, but it`s not a satisfactory solution. I would be grateful for any advice/ help that works.

My 12 month old whippet is great when we are out alone but when there is another dog, she goes deaf so do sympathise with you!

I have found foodie tit bits help - we use tiny bits of cheese and slowly it is working. Today she has met 4 doggy friends while out walking and returned by calling to me from 3 of them. It is hard work but prersvere.

I used a dog whistle to train my whippet pup's recall. I use three pips as a recall command and it is the only command where I still give him a treat. I used the whistle before every feed and when I wanted him to come and play so he associated the whistle with food and fun. When he was in the garden I'd whistle and play hide and seek in the house. Before he was allowed to run off lead his recall was good on a 10m long line. If he ever ignored my recall command I would just reel him in while giving three pips at a time. Also in the early stages I never fed him before a run so he'd be hungry.

Now his recall his very good with just a voice command and a hand signal except when he first sees other dogs which isn't that often. I can keep him to heel as long as i see the other dog first and he will stay put unless the other dog approaches. In those situations the whistle is really useful as it keeps any emotional tones (anger and frustration) out of my command. When he comes with the whistle he always gets a treat.

I'm still working on stopping him taking off in pursuit of other dogs but I feel he'll grow out of it as he gains more mental control.

revitt5758 said:
I have recently rescued a year old saluki /greyhound type lurcher dog. His greatest love is to run and run and run. Try as I might, he blanks me when I recall him. He is oblivious to my whistles, my voice, squeaky toys and, more worryingly, tasty morsels.I have an older lurcher who comes to me when called, so as a last resort I turn back and run away in the opposite direction with her. This gets my youngster back to me, but it`s not a satisfactory solution. I would be grateful for any advice/ help that works.

o:)

i think its just a matter of keeping it up all the time, i know how you feel my 22 wk old lurcher pup is a fantastic dog his recall is really good except if he gets hold of another dogs ball, then he is a nightmare, it can take 10 mins sometimes to get it back but he is learning slowly. he can sometimes run off and be a ain but its a learning curve for us both, me and dog are learning to read each others body language. shaymus_leas..jpgSP_A0174.jpg

Shaymus_12_wks..jpg

If you have only recently taken them on, why are they being allowed to run and run? You need time to form bonds and a relationship before your dog can be trusted off lead in an open area. Especially if this area is insecure.

I have a rescue lurcher, who I suspect has some saluki in the mix. I have had him a year now and still cannot trust him offlead in an open area. I am extremely lucky in that he adores me and trusts me implicitly. I have exhaustively practised every method of recall training that I have ever heard of and all work fantastically-until the hunting urge takes him, then he's gone, I'm a distant memory till the urge breaks and he panics as to where I am. After a couple of experiences with chasing deer etc I had to resort to keeping him on lead in all circumstances unless I could guarantee nothing would tempt him, when he is allowed offlead I watch him like a hawk for signals that he is sensing prey, air scenting etc. Even fenced fields are not safe as he will think nothing of running face first into a hawthorn hedge at speed after his quarry. Blindness is not too far away if he is allowed to pursue his instincts. Instead I channel his energy into training, games etc. When he is offlead I aim to keep his attention with games / toys etc he is never just allowed to wander and pick up scents, I have to keep his focus for his own safety.

On a positive note he has just passed his bronze KC good citizen cert and will soon be going for his Silver.Despite this, my husband recently took him out and although I told him not to he let him off lead in the woods.Even after a year of training he again, chased deer, although he did return quickly, this time, on the open fell however,I fear it would have been a different outcome.

Some dogs have limitations when it comes to free running outside and as an owner it's down to you to protect them from themselves. If I allowed my boy the total freedom I gave my bridge baby collie x, he would be lost on the fells pretty much immediately. Each dog we take on has their own special needs, listen to them, be sensitive and have patience. You'll be rewarded tenfold if you can give them this. Good luck and keep us updated re progress.

This is very interesting, i am at the moment looking after Suki, a Saluki and she is an absolute dream in the house but outside :b i have to say she is a real nightmare i have been told that it is in the Saluki breed to run forever and not listen to you, she has me run ragged!!! as she goes out of sight and i have to run after her just so as i can keep her in sight!!!!

But what i've been doing is getting her to interact with me and Finbarr by throwing the ball and getting them to chase it, this brings her close to me and she thinks its fun, also when she bolts of like a loony(my God shes fast) i call her in a playful tone and i run in the opposite direction and she comes chasing after me so she thinks this is a great game and i give her lots of praise and while doing this i have got hold of her collar i think the key thing is interaction i never let her off when there are other dogs and people around shes very boisterous but she is absolutely beautiful i think to shout at them and keep calling their names is a big mistake if they sense they might be in trouble they just keep running :- "

I tell you, i've lost pounds looking after this dog!!! LOLOL

Heres a few snaps of her and Finbarr they absolutely love each other :)) (Suki is the blonde one)LOLOL

PC210094_2.JPG

Back