The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Raiding cupboards and eating anything - help!

Dibble77

Registered
Reaction score
In the last few months, whenever I go out, my dog (4year old) has started to open cupboards and eat whatever he can find. Mostly food, cardboard boxes, raw veg etc. today, I moved him into another room only to find he has ripped open a pencil case, and eaten pencils and other bits and bobs. This is becoming a serious problem, and am On the verge of crating him as I don't know what has started this or why he is doing this. Any help,or advice would be appreciated. He has been on steroids for about 6 weeks, and wonder whether this is having an effect on his appetite or is this destructive behaviour something else. Many thanks

First of all a quick fix or at least slow him down is child locks on cupboards. Also could it be a bordom issue? Could you leave him with a raw carrot to chew or a game to keep his mind busy? Also if it is a behaviour issue it may be worth walking before you leave to drain excess energy.

Simple your house is not safe enough, could be worse it could be a kid

He might have a bit of parrot in his genes. my dog perfect, parrot into everything.

Could be boredom, child locks and leave him a Kong along with an antler chew, these are not really cheap but your dog will chew away happily for hours on an antler.

Shame my dog nicks them before the parrot

It may be a bit of separation distress? Is he over bonded to you and missing you when you go out? If this is the case you would be best to get a proper behaviour consultation from a member of the APBC or COAPE.

In the meantime prevention is the best way forward. Crate training takes time and patience but is a valuable tool for the rest of the dog's life. The dog must like being in the crate. Treat it like a fabulous new toy and put food and toys inside . Leave the door open for the first few days. Try short periods with the door shut and the dog entertained with a stuffed kong or his dinner etc. Gradually extend the periods with the door closed until he happily stays in there in a relaxed way. Do no leave any dog for more than a few hours in a crate. if you need to leave your dog longer, then you need to seek professional help sooner rather than later.

There are good techniques for teaching a dog to relax when left but they vary between each situation.

Back